Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
robertpolson
Connoisseur
robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Help: Broken, Bricked or what PRS 900?

Here is the situation - I bought PRS 900 on February 2, 2010, charged it fully and turned it on. I have never used it daily for about 20 minutes or so. However, I think that I have not been shutting it down properly. I only slided the power switch gently and quickly and was amazed on how fast it turns on and off. I think that all that I have been doing was putting the screen to sleep and not shutting it off. Still I have used it very little.

On Feb 4th, I flashed it with the Russian firmware 1.03b for PRS 900. All worked fine.

Today Feb 6th in the morning when I picked up my device, I could not turn it on. I had to press the reset button and then it turned on with BATTERY LOW message. The battery was almost fully dead.

Is the battery dead because:

1) I have not been shutting PRS 900 properly until I realized it this morning? But if I only used it for 20 minutes daily, shouldn't it last much longer than 4 days ? Stand by or something?

2) Russian firmware has something to do with the battery ?

3) I have a defective PRS 900 or the battery >

4) Something else ?

Please help while I still have 10 days to return or exchange it.

Last edited by robertpolson; 02-06-2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: spelling
robertpolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Hopefully someone will chime in. I don't know if anyone has flashed their 900.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
NSqirrel
Enthusiast
NSqirrel began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I have a PRS 600 and with that you need to discharge and charge a few times to get a decent battery life. To discharge, I set the audio player on to play some music and left it as that drains the battery pretty quickly. Once fully discharged, recharge and repeat operation a few times.

I hope that this helps resolve your issue.
NSqirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I think NSquirrel's suggestion is worth trying. I know nothing about the Russian firmware but it could easily have reset stored voltage indicators for full and discharged battery levels.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
robertpolson
Connoisseur
robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

So you think that this is more of a software issue rather than hardware issue ? Right now I left it at home charing and will come back in about 4 hours to see how it is.

Also, what do you people do with your Sony readers ? Allow them to go to sleep and standby or shut them down every time ?

What effect does this have on the battery?
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
NSqirrel
Enthusiast
NSqirrel began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
From the PRS600 point of view, it does sound more like s/w. There have been a lot of comments about initial battery use in the Sony forum, so you are not alone! (BTW, I left mine playing music over night.)
NSqirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Mine is flashed with 1.02e and the battery life seems adequate so far. The only thing I can think of is the clock setting I don't know if having one of the -tick options has the same detrimental effect on the battery in the sleep mode as it does when it's on.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
If you switched the to the "ticking clock" (via Options button at the "About" screen) expect the battery life to be very short. Switch to 24 or am/pm clock. Otherwise you should get decent time out of your battery.

You should try switching your device off (with the on/off switch) when you are not reading for a prolonged period of time. You shouldn't need to power off completely.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
How are you charging your Reader? If you haven't already, get a wall charger because going through the USB on the computer sometimes doesn't work that well. The official Sony charger can be pricey but any PSP charger will work. This is the round yellow barrel and should be 5.0 - 5.2 volts (at least for the USA).
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #10
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaAnn View Post
How are you charging your Reader? If you haven't already, get a wall charger because going through the USB on the computer sometimes doesn't work that well. The official Sony charger can be pricey but any PSP charger will work. This is the round yellow barrel and should be 5.0 - 5.2 volts (at least for the USA).
PRS-900 includes the wall charger — at least mine did.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #11
robertpolson
Connoisseur

I fully charged my PRS 900 and made proper adjustment for the clock.

Lets see how it will work. I really hope that nothing is wrong with my hardware.

Thank you everyone for your support and advices.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #12
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I hope yours works OK now. I for one would never flash a third party firmware until my unit was out of warranty. I think Sony would consider this voiding the warranty, or at the very least cause them to decline support. Flash it back as original before you take it back - and maybe see if you still have problems when using the factory image.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #13
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Sounds like you got it sorted out.... the wall charger is the key to most battery problems, USB for these Sony's is just too dodgy.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #14
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolson View Post
I really hope that nothing is wrong with my hardware.
Why would there be anything wrong with your hardware? If you had the clock set to the "-tick" option, that would have eaten up your battery real fast - that's the deal. The CPU doesn't go into sleep mode with the running clock, so the battery goes out in a matter of a couple of hours.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #15
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Robert, I use it several times every day so I leave my reader on standby for faster turn-on. For my new 900, after two charge cycles, I notice I lose one battery segment on the display after about three days and 400 page turns (3G always off).

Something curious -- after one day and 100-odd pages it actually refuses to charge (no LED, not even a blink). My 505 never refused to start charging, lol.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote