Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
balduran
balduran began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question about Pocket Pro's JPG viewing capability

First, I'm very impressed by the Ez Reader's wide range of compatibility and I'm planning to order one real soon.
But before ordering, there's just this one big question that must be answered before finally putting an end to my long journey for the perfect e-book reader, and it is about the JPG viewing capability.

I personally scanned my favorite books which just got too old to keep on the shelves, and this scanned book files count up to about 100. Since they are all in JPG formats, I would really appreciate it if my future reader is capable of viewing JPG files with speed, compared to reading a normal epub. I know I could always convert them to pdfs but it will be a hell of a job

And also, is sequential view possible for JPG files? I mean, do i have to go all the way back to the file selection menu again and again just to go over to the next page?

Finally, is zipped JPG viewable?

I have my credit card standing by and ready to go. All I need your answer plz!
balduran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I believe if you open an image, and you hit NEXT PAGE button, it will advance to the next image in the list, alphanumerically.

Alternatively, if you simply take all of the images and zip them up, the device will read ZIP and RAR files, again alphanumerically. So you could open Book1.rar (you might have to rename it CBR, not sure) and you will start page 1 with the first image in the file, then advance to page 2 (image 2).

I tested this with a folder of images, and it worked this way. Unsure about the zipped aspect though. Have yet to test those waters.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Sequential Yes. The Page key steps through the images.
In the correct order, Maybe

The file name must sort properly by (case sensitive) Linux. Windows long names can be problematic.

Recently read only shows the first image selected from the file menu.
No bookmarks AFAIK

I don't have a handy zip collection, but zipping a JPG does not save you much, as it is already a compressed format. (and it takes more processing to unpack, even a tiny amount)

Another option is to see if you can OCR your files.

By the Way. Welcome to the group.

Good luck

Last edited by theducks; 10-21-2009 at 12:57 PM.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Note that Jpg images viewed as images will also be scaled to 600x760 images (40 pixels are reserved for the banner). They will also be rotated for best fit. This is not the case if they are put in an eBook format. Images must be less that 4 Megapixel and large images take a while to display. You do have control over the brightness and contrast of the images if they are displayed as images. I keep them in separate folders for easy access, although separate zip/rar containers would work as well.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by balduran View Post
First, I'm very impressed by the Ez Reader's wide range of compatibility and I'm planning to order one real soon.
But before ordering, there's just this one big question that must be answered before finally putting an end to my long journey for the perfect e-book reader, and it is about the JPG viewing capability.

I personally scanned my favorite books which just got too old to keep on the shelves, and this scanned book files count up to about 100. Since they are all in JPG formats, I would really appreciate it if my future reader is capable of viewing JPG files with speed, compared to reading a normal epub. I know I could always convert them to pdfs but it will be a hell of a job

And also, is sequential view possible for JPG files? I mean, do i have to go all the way back to the file selection menu again and again just to go over to the next page?

Finally, is zipped JPG viewable?

I have my credit card standing by and ready to go. All I need your answer plz!
I'm confused...Is each book in one JPEG file, or is every page in a JPEG file, thus hundreds of pages (i.e.,files) per book?

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
balduran

Thanks everyone for such specific answers. I think that just about resolves my curiosity.
One last concern is the auto rotation DaleDe has mentioned.
The image files I own are about 933x1400 in resolution. Would these auto-roate too?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balduran View Post
Thanks everyone for such specific answers. I think that just about resolves my curiosity.
One last concern is the auto rotation DaleDe has mentioned.
The image files I own are about 933x1400 in resolution. Would these auto-roate too?
Whoa!
What is the file size (unzipped) of each of those?
You are asking the PEz to shrink those down, that takes lots of crunch power if you dont exceed the maximum original file size limit.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
balduran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Whoa!
What is the file size (unzipped) of each of those?
You are asking the PEz to shrink those down, that takes lots of crunch power if you dont exceed the maximum original file size limit.
Is it too big for Ezreader? The files are only around 120KB each though.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

I was thinking they would be bigger. No grey scale?
Load time will suffer and you do not get to zoom or reflow text, so if your eyes are still good the image on the PEz is pretty sharp.