Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
ohheythere
ohheythere began at the beginning.

Device: none
I just bought a 505- can I just jump right in?

I know that it's recommended to charge it initially, but is this one of the types of batteries where you are supposed to charge it all the way and then use it until it burns out completely before recharging, or can this just be hooked up every night to charge without losing battery efficiency?
ohheythere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'd recommend charging it fully. I wouldn't let it drain though. I didn't with mine and I've had mine for over a year.

I wouldn't hook it up every night either though. I hook mine up once a week (or less). Pretty much when I buy books or move books around. Even then it's only down a bar or two (and I read heavily).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
But...luckily for you, you can plug in the Sony Reader and read from it at the same time, if you have the separate adapter...

FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
how's it going with your new reader, ohheythere?

Like lilac, I only charge when I put new books on. Recently, my reader had a lonely period where I neglected it, and it lost very little charge during those two weeks, even with an sd card in there. It holds its charge well!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheythere View Post
can this just be hooked up every night to charge without losing battery efficiency?
It is my understanding that the battery does not lose efficiency from frequent charging. I tend to put it on the charger overnight whenever it shows 1/4 of the battery left. I also put it on the charger if I'm going to plug it into my computer to make sure it has enough of a charge when I put new books onto it. The formatting takes quite a bit of the battery power.

I have two readers -- the Sony and a Kindle -- and sometimes a couple of weeks will go by without me picking up my Sony. Unlike GraceKrispy, I find that my Sony runs all the way down when it's not being used. I don't have a memory stick or SD card in it, so I can't explain why the battery runs down as it does. But, when I'm using it, I can read for around 16 hours on a single battery charge.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 03:30 AM   #6
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
I bought my sony a month ago, and charged it the day I bought it (I was at work so I couldn't read on it and thought I might as well start the process!). The battery was completely drained when I got it, so I couldn't use it until it had been charged for a while.

Since then I've charged it using a separate adapter once, because it reached 1 out of 4 on the battery indicator, and it has charged while I have been transferring books from my computer. That has been enough, even though I use it a lot! It does lose charge when not being used, so you might run it down that way, but I've found it difficult to run the battery all the way down - I want to get use from my separate adapter but have only needed it once!

I certainly don't think it needs charging every night (it's not like a phone/laptop etc).
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:09 AM   #7
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
Yes, you need to charge it completely at first use just like any PDA. When using it, you dont need to completely drain it but also not to charge it when its just half empty. Charge it before it drains completely.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote