Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: How many ebooks do you purchase each month?
1 14 13.21%
2 11 10.38%
3 12 11.32%
4 12 11.32%
5 8 7.55%
6 1 0.94%
7 1 0.94%
8 5 4.72%
9 0 0%
10 11 10.38%
11-12 6 5.66%
13-14 1 0.94%
15-20 7 6.60%
20-up 8 7.55%
<1 (by popular request) 9 8.49%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2009, 02:00 PM   #46
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
As for reading, it really depends. If I'm free, it can be a Book or three a day but on average I tend to read 2-4 books a week, but usually at least half are rereads as I like to go over old favourites on a regular basis, especially when a new book in a series is about to come out.
This is almost exactly how I read too, about 2-4 books a week, unless I've got a lot of extra free time and don't get sucked into MobileRead forums. I re-read books in a series to refresh my memory when a new book comes out and re-read favourites just because they are favourites. I do find that I'm consistently buying new or downloading free eBooks at a much faster rate than I'm reading them though. I don't think there's anything wrong with that though, it's not like they take up a lot of space on my limited shelving.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #47
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
I picked more than 20.

It's a bit embarrasing to admit I usually buy at least 20 Harlequins.

I'm not sure if the Webscriptions count. Strictly speaking I don't pay but they only come free because of my Universe subscription. Plus Baen are always doing new irrisistable bundles.

I always get the 5 Regency Reads releases each month.

So we're nearly at 30 before I admit to staying up till 4:00 am every Tuesday morning to check out the new Fictionwise releases. I probably buy at least 10 a month.

When I retired colleagues kept asking me how could I possibly fill up the time - in fact I could use 48 hour days.

Laine
Laine, I'm with you. Retirement has ruined my monthy play money. I spend everything I get on books I bad....
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2009, 06:38 PM   #48
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by worxland View Post
Cannot choose 0 therefore no vote.
My need of reading can be and is satisfied with free material.
Me too. I have never bought one because of DRM and I never will, for the same reason. I get all mine for free and will continue to do so. There are are alot of OCR pdfs on the web.
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:42 AM   #49
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
Laine, I'm with you. Retirement has ruined my monthy play money. I spend everything I get on books I bad....
I was a teacher and spent lots of money on books etc for the classroom. Now I spend my money on me and books.

A much better idea.

Laine
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:36 AM   #50
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
It's funny that the most common answer is not in the poll.
I buy '0' books per month, perhaps 1 book per year at most.
I think the majority of people buy less than 1 ebooks per month.
As forme,I don't want my bankdata traveling over internet,so I stay as clear as possible of online transactions.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #51
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
It's funny that the most common answer is not in the poll.
I buy '0' books per month, perhaps 1 book per year at most.
I think the majority of people buy less than 1 ebooks per month.
As forme,I don't want my bankdata traveling over internet,so I stay as clear as possible of online transactions.
I probably should have included it, but I really wanted to see the amounts of people who buy.

I'm not worried about making purchases online. I use my credit card, which is protected against fraud and such.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:06 PM   #52
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I probably should have included it, but I really wanted to see the amounts of people who buy.
You do know that people like to respond to a poll even if it doesn't reallly apply to them. You've got to give them and option... < 1 month would have been that option.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:12 PM   #53
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgoforth View Post
Me too. I have never bought one because of DRM and I never will, for the same reason. I get all mine for free and will continue to do so. There are are alot of OCR pdfs on the web.
Well, I can see not buying DRM'd works; I am the same as you in that regard... but there are thousands of books available at Fictionwise, Baen's webscriptions, Books for a Buck and others that are DRM free. I doubt I will ever become a heavy buyer of books, but I do intend to buy some.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #54
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You do know that people like to respond to a poll even if it doesn't reallly apply to them. You've got to give them and option... < 1 month would have been that option.

BOb
Ah well, next poll I make I'll make sure I don't forget
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #55
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Ah well, next poll I make I'll make sure I don't forget
Just to expand. "I" like to respond to all the polls so I can see the results. Once you have responded to the thread you will see the current votes/results at the top of the thread. Before that, you just see the options and have to click see results if you haven't voted yet.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:27 AM   #56
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Well, I can see not buying DRM'd works; I am the same as you in that regard... but there are thousands of books available at Fictionwise, Baen's webscriptions, Books for a Buck and others that are DRM free. I doubt I will ever become a heavy buyer of books, but I do intend to buy some.

--
Bill
Thanks, I thought they all had DRM. I will check out those sites.
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:27 AM   #57
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
lucky there's also a 'View Poll Results'-knob,for the curious non-voter.

Some users voted for 20+ books per month; seems like an awful lot to me!
Unless they are businesses or collectors, or people filling in their "last month's purchase" (and not buy as much or anything the rest of the year), it's a bit hard to believe...

I mean 20+books per month, means you need to read at least a book per day, unless maybe smallbooks of a couple of pages, are been seen as a book purchase too.

Last edited by ProDigit; 01-16-2009 at 10:32 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:57 AM   #58
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:

Unless they are businesses or collectors, or people filling in their "last month's purchase" (and not buy as much or anything the rest of the year), it's a bit hard to believe...

I mean 20+books per month, means you need to read at least a book per day, unless maybe smallbooks of a couple of pages, are been seen as a book purchase too.

When I buy that many in a month it's often that I'm replacing pbooks. Also reading a book per day isn't out of the question, sometimes a person can read more than one per day depending on time available.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #59
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Over the past six years, my purchases at Fictionwise and Baen averaged 20 per month.

Um... although I do now have over 400 items in my "To be read" pile... some of fictionwise's offers last year were just too good. And there are some freebies in the pile too.

Looking at the figures, I must read, on average, 15+ books a month.

I suppose that does mean I have over two years worth of new books to read now. I guess my average bought per month will slip a bit over the next couple of years :-)

Quote:

pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #60
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:

I read a lot! So far this month: Murder Game(C Feehan), Atlas Shrugged(Reread), Midnight Sun (Draft) S Meyer, Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn (S Meyer) all rereads, Man and the Moment (G. Heyer), Count of Monte Cristo (reread) started in Dec., Currently reading Midnight Veil (L. Adrian). A few books so far this month. However, I am mostly trying to convert my pbooks to eBooks. Then I have room for more.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote