Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #46
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I was using the Calibre Viewer and the second pic is of the TOC in the Edit TOC. I am not sure what html in-line TOC means, so I am not sure if that is what it is.
The inline TOC is just another 'Page' in the book.

In EPUB, the NCX file is the official TOC (What you see on the side (if enabled) in the Calibre viewer

Calibre can generate the Inline one during conversion (and has options for Front or 'Back of the Book' placement)

Sigil will also generate an 'HTML TOC' from the NCX ( save your work before using this feature: crash prone on Windows)

What I see in picture 2 is some HTML Code showing as text (the title is correct)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #47
Tom SKP
Connoisseur
Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung tab 3 & Nook Simple Touch with Glow light
Allways Expanded ToC in Nook simple touch

I'm using the fantastic new Edit ToC to handle a merged food recipe epub.

Everything is great when viewed on the Calibre Viewer, but on my Nook Simple Touch the ToC is always 'expanded' and what I wanted is always 'collapsed', allowing me to expand a 1st level ToC when I wanted to.

Is this a problem with my Nook, or somewhere in the PI?

Any solutions?
Tom SKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #48
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nested (multi-level) TOC handling is a device issue if it looks good (nesting wise) in the viewer
Old 09-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do other books with a multi-level TOC work OK on your nook?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #50
Tom SKP
Connoisseur
Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Nested (multi-level) TOC handling is a device issue if it looks good (nesting wise) in the viewer
Thanks for the advice. I'll post on the B&N forum for ideas
Advert
Old 09-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #51
Tom SKP
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do other books with a multi-level TOC work OK on your nook?
Gee, I don't know Harry. Never had a need to be concerned before...
This recipe business (for my wife) is really in need to a multi level ToC, though...

Can you suggest a test book or file I can download?
Old 09-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #52
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Oops never mind
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #53
BaconButty
Connoisseur
BaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 & iPad Mini & Galaxy Tab10
Thank You!

I have just used this tool to create a ToC for an unwieldy 8-book anthology and it's a real treat!
This will enable me to split the anthology into more manageable publications.

And so easy to use, too!
BaconButty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #54
Rob557
Zealot
Rob557 has learned how to read e-booksRob557 has learned how to read e-booksRob557 has learned how to read e-booksRob557 has learned how to read e-booksRob557 has learned how to read e-booksRob557 has learned how to read e-booksRob557 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Determining best epub candidates for Edit ToC.

While I was using the new Edit TOC feature (with belated thanks to Kovid !) to go through hundreds of epubs currently without a useful TOC, I was wondering how to better isolate the epubs where Edit TOC would be most likely to be effective?

The "Generate ToC from files" option has been the one that is most likely to work (an epub without a useful ToC typically also does not have links or headers that will help) and the key factor for that "from files" option to work well seems to be whether the number of html files within the epub correspond to a few more than the number of chapters one might expect in the epub.

Does anyone know of an existing feature in Calibre or any of the plugins (or a regular expression) that could could provide a count of the number of html files within the ePub, so that the count could be put into a temporary sort column?

I am already using a feature in the Quality Check plugin (Check ePub structure / Check NCX TOC with < 3 entries) to separate out most of the epubs without a useful TOC, and I can't think of a better way to do that in bulk.

Any other suggestions for sorting out ePubs that are the best candidates for Edit ToC would also be great, including identifying those where there are in fact links and headers that might provide an effective alternative when "from files" will not work.

The innovative simplicity and effectiveness of Edit ToC is greatly appreciated Kovid !
Rob557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #55
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Try the Quality check PI

Check EPUB Structure: Check NCX TOC with less than 3 entries
Old 12-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #56
Rob557
Zealot
Rob557 has learned how to read e-booksRob557 has learned how to read e-booksRob557 has learned how to read e-booksRob557 has learned how to read e-booksRob557 has learned how to read e-booksRob557 has learned how to read e-booksRob557 has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Try the Quality check PI ... Check EPUB Structure: Check NCX TOC with less than 3 entries
Thank you, but in my posting I noted that I was already using that feature and was seeing if something in addition might be available such as a regular expression that could identify the number of html files within each ePub, for the reasons noted.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #57
theducks
Well trained by Cats

You can have 1 big HTML file that could have many places for TOC entries
You can have many HTML files that do not get any (typical) TOC entries (eg no chapters (header) at all)

I use that tool, then select All (results) and add a Tag.
Then I check Each book, fixing or adjusting tags for future work/whitelising
Old 12-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #58
Rob557
Zealot

Quote:

You can have 1 big HTML file that could have many places for TOC entries
You can have many HTML files that do not get any (typical) TOC entries (eg no chapters (header) at all)
Yes, there certainly are different situations, but an approach for determining the count of the html files would be helpful, But if that is not cannot be done through a regular expression or whatever, then so be it. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:03 PM   #59
Rob557
Zealot

Question Double Quote in RegEx code for auto-generating ToC ?

As noted earlier, this Edit ToC feature is very useful. Thanks to Kovid.

Does anyone know what RegEx coding should be used within this Edit ToC function in order to include ToC items that are enclosed in double quotes?

FWIW, to provide some context, I have found the following code to be quite effective in generating TOC entries (copied into the first slot in the pop-up box "Create ToC from XPath") ... it will capture variations using roman numerals, chapter numbers, short descriptors, etc and can be retained using the "save settings" option using the code itself as the name of the setting:

Note: the fourth and fifth characters in the code below are a colon followed by a small letter p, but those two characters are auto-replaced by a pesky icon sticking out its tongue, so just reverse-substitute if you use the code:

//h:p[re:test(., "(^\s*[0-9]{1,2}\s*$)|(^.{1,80}[a-z]\s*$)|(^\s*[IVX]{1,6}\s*$)|(^\s*prologue)|(^\s*epilogue)|(^\s*chap ter)|(^\s*map)|(^\s*index)|(^\s*introduction)|(^\s *notes)", "i")]

I recently set up a modified version as follows to also catch ToC items that end with a question mark, exclamation mark, etc but use it only as an alternative approach when necessary because in some case it generates too many extraneous entries that need to be manually deleted:

Code:
//h:p[re:test(., "(^\s*[0-9]{1,2}\s*[\.\!\?]{0,1}\s*$)|(^.{1,80}[a-z]\s*$)|(^.{1,20}[0-9]\s*$)|(^.{1,20}\s*[\.\!\?]\s*$)|(^\s*[IVX]{1,6}\s*[\.]{0,1}\s*$)|(^\s*prologue)|(^\s*epilogue)|(^\s*chapter)|(^\s*map)|(^\s*index)|(^\s*introduction)|(^\s*notes)", "i")]
I also tried to include code that would catch ToC entries that might end in a double quote (") but found that because double quotes seen to have a special role in the Edit ToC process, the coding was rejected as invalid whether or not I use " by itself or with an escape indicator \" or self-enclosed in double quotes """. Does anyone know what would work?

Thanks for any help on this.

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-01-2017 at 05:32 PM. Reason: add some noparse tags
Old 03-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #60
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice
@Rob559 I added some noparse tags to get rid of the pesky icons, and I put the second regex string in a code block which I think is better for copying - remove if you prefer but leave the noparse.

Sorry - can't answer your question, my re-fu runs out after ~10 characters

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote