Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #601
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
No folders, just books.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #602
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
I highlighted the ePubs in Calibre and dragged them to that window but they wouldn't drop in. I have no idea why. I have iTunes 10, I am trying to avoid 11 since I hear that it really, really sucks.
Just wondering - are you trying to drag n drop from the Calibre database window?? I didn't think it would do that. Even if it does you wouldn't necessarily be getting the most current version if metadata/covers etc unless you "save to disk" first. If you right click on the title in Calibre you can select "open in folder" (or something like it) then drag from there to iTunes.

I upgraded to iTunes 11. It takes a little getting used to - and no, I haven't gotten used to it - but you can hit ctrl-s to get the side pane back. Then it is almost the same as 10...

Cheers!
Advert
Old 01-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #603
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, that is the step I was missing. I converted the books and then tried to move them from that folder to Marvin. So I need to save to disc and then I will have an EPub and Mobi copy of the books. Move the EPub copy.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #604
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
OK, that is the step I was missing. I converted the books and then tried to move them from that folder to Marvin. So I need to save to disc and then I will have an EPub and Mobi copy of the books. Move the EPub copy.

Thanks!
Soon, you'll be able to download the book directly inside Marvin from Calibre, no need for iTunes.

It can't be much longer before version 1.2 shows up in the App Store.

As an alternative, you can browse in Safari and just select "open in" and use Marvin.

Cheers

Art
Old 01-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #605
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Exclamation

Quote:
I know about Dropbox but would prefer to avoid yet another account.
Erm, what do you mean by "another account"? Are you saying you don't have a Dropbox account yet? If so, you're punishing yourself. Dropbox, in my opinion, is absolutely essential for effective use of an iOS device, both iPad and iPhone/iPod touch. (Or you might set up a cloud service similar to Dropbox, but Dropbox is the best of them all.)

Quote:
OK, that is the step I was missing. I converted the books and then tried to move them from that folder to Marvin. So I need to save to disc and then I will have an EPub and Mobi copy of the books.
Not true at all. You can directly use the converted copies from inside Calibre's folders. Just don't drag them anywhere, least of all to the atrocious iTunes -- I'm not surprised nothing works in iTunes the way you expect it to work.

Like I said before, I set up SugarSync to copy all my Calibre folders online. Using the SugarSync app, I can open the converted EPUBs from those Calibre folders directly in Marvin. No "save to disk" is necessary. (As long as you forget about iTunes, as indeed you should.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
Soon, you'll be able to download the book directly inside Marvin from Calibre, no need for iTunes.
iTunes was never needed for use with Marvin. Not in the earliest Marvin version. iTunes is not needed at all, for anyone using an iPad or iPhone in 2013. I stopped using iTunes in 2011, as soon as iCloud came out.
Advert
Old 01-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #606
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Hi Kris,

I'm looking forward to 1.2 eagerly and keep checking the app store obsessively :-). I had a quick question. Will 1.2 feature the ability for smooth vertical scrolling or is this going to be something that may be introduced later? I think it would be fantastic to have because it is really useful when reading technical ebooks that have lots of code, etc. The page breaks are too jarring and make it hard to use Marvin for reading things such as the Java tutorials (all the trails can now be downloaded as DRM free epubs).

Also, wanted to report a "bug" of sorts at least in my view. Tapping on the left and right margins for advancing pages works well, but unfortunately, at the moment, taps at the top right and left corner are not registered (presumably due to the fact that when the menus show up, one tends to click in this region to select items). Would it be possible to allow taps in the top corners to advance pages? Often when reading, that is the natural place where one tends to tap and it is a bit frustrating to sometimes have to tap twice. For the longest time I thought there was an issue with my iPad or Marvin because it felt like page advancing was a bit hit or miss, but then I finally realized that this was the issue.

Thanks a lot!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #607
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Thanks for all the help. I had to save the books to disc. Once I saved them it was easy to add them using iTunes. The app looks awesome. Loving it so far.

The problem was with Calibre. I did not realize I had to save the books. Without doing that nothing would have worked.

Last edited by ProfCrash; 01-29-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:18 AM   #608
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Hi Orion,

I'll definitely be positing here once 1.2 is available so if you're registered to this thread by email, you'll get a notification when this happens. It should be this week.

Vertical scrolling is coming for sure but not in 1.2. I'm already working on it.

The issue of tapping the corners will soon be moot. I'm revising the way the toolbar system works.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:44 AM   #609
Wickedkitten
Wickedkitten began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post

iTunes was never needed for use with Marvin. Not in the earliest Marvin version. iTunes is not needed at all, for anyone using an iPad or iPhone in 2013. I stopped using iTunes in 2011, as soon as iCloud came out.
If you don't buy all your media from the iTunes music store, you are still going to need iTunes for some things.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #610
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Exclamation

Quote:
The problem was with Calibre. I did not realize I had to save the books. Without doing that nothing would have worked.
This is not true. Why post such misleading statements?

Again: the problem is with iTunes only, not with Calibre. Like I've written twice already, you do NOT have to save to disk from Calibre in order to read Calibre's EPUB books in Marvin. I've been loading EPUB books directly from Calibre's folders, without saving to disk, ever since Marvin first came out. This has always worked flawlessly.

The only reason it didn't work for you, is because you insist on using iTunes, needlessly inserting iTunes in between Calibre and Marvin. It's iTunes that requires you to "save to disk" for the copying to work, not Calibre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedkitten View Post
If you don't buy all your media from the iTunes music store, you are still going to need iTunes for some things.
I don't think so. Can you please elaborate as to what those "some things" might be?

Again my experience: if you use an iPad, iPhone or iPod touch in 2013, you don't need iTunes for anything at all.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #611
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I get it, you don't like iTunes. Other people do. Let them do their thing. I read your suggestion and decided it was not optimal for me. The great thing about Marvin is that there are many ways to move books to it. No reason to bludgeon people who disagree with you on what is best for them.

And the problem was with me really. It happened to be that I missed a step in Calibre. Long ago I had removed the DRM from my Amazon books. I assumed that the books I had stored in my file were the Mobi files. I never bothered to check them. I never saved to disc my Mobi files after I stripped the books, so I always had Amazon books saved in my book file. This process taught me to save the finished product to disc which allows me to move the books to whereever I wanted. I now have my Amazon, Mobi, and EPub files saved.

So until there is a direct from Calibre to Marvin feature, I would not have been able to move books because I had never saved the Mobi files or the Epub files. That is not a fault of ITunes or even Calibre. That is user error in Calibre.

The Dropbox advice is great for people who want to use Dropbox, same for SugarSync. I don't want to use those options. I have my files backed up on extrenal hard drives and I am comfortable with that. I don't want to pay for additional storage and risk losing things because I forget to pay every year. That is my choice. Since I made that choice, I used iTunes. It was very easy.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #612
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

For anyone who is using Calibre for the first time and moving things to MArvin:

Here are the steps I took:

1) convert books from Mobi to Epub
2) Save books to disc. There are many options to choose, choose the second one which was save all to one location.
3) Sort the saved books by file type

Now you are ready to move to Marvin

For iTunes

1) Click on your iPad/iPhone/iTouch on the right side of iTunes
2) Go to the App button located in the top tool bar
3) Scroll down to the bottom and find the area that lets you download items into apps
4) Select Marvin
5) highlight the books you want to move into Marvin
6) drag and drop

Once I figured out the save to disc thing in Calibre, it took under five minutes to do the rest.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #613
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
Hi Orion,

I'll definitely be positing here once 1.2 is available so if you're registered to this thread by email, you'll get a notification when this happens. It should be this week.

Vertical scrolling is coming for sure but not in 1.2. I'm already working on it.

The issue of tapping the corners will soon be moot. I'm revising the way the toolbar system works.
Hey Kris,

Thanks a lot! Glad to hear that smooth scrolling is in the works. Keep up the great job!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #614
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
until there is a direct from Calibre to Marvin feature
It's already there in Marvin, version 1.2, currently being approved by Apple. It should appear in the App Store any day now.

Quote:
I get it, you don't like iTunes. Other people do. Let them do their thing.
Absolutely! If people prefer to do things in old, inefficient, time-consuming ways, it's their holy right.

However, we should be careful about making statements in public forums like these that are not true. I don't think other users would appreciate being misled.

So let us state it again clearly: it's not necessary to "save books to disk" in Calibre in order to load EPUB books from Calibre in Marvin.

Quote:
The Dropbox advice is great for people who want to use Dropbox, same for SugarSync. I don't want to use those options.
Well, refusing to use cloud software with your iPad means you're punishing yourself, like I mentioned. It's likely you will be working more slowly, less efficiently with your iPad. But, by all means, if that is your preference, so be it.

Quote:
I don't want to pay for additional storage and risk losing things because I forget to pay every year.
I am a free user of both Dropbox and SugarSync. I have about 8 GB in Dropbox, and 5 GB in SugarSync. I also have 50 more free GB in Box.net. There are additional free cloud services, too.

Quote:
For anyone who is using Calibre for the first time and moving things to MArvin:

Here are the steps I took: [...]
Fine instructions... but they only apply for someone who absolutely insists on using iTunes to move books to Marvin.

A nice, comprehensive tutorial for moving books from Calibre to Marvin would be to list all the various options that are available, iTunes being only one of those options (the slowest and worst option, in my estimation). Perhaps someone will compose such a tutorial for Calibre<->Marvin transfers soon. I've just listed some of the available transfer options in another post.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #615
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
However, we should be careful about making statements in public forums like these that are not true. I don't think other users would appreciate being misled.

So let us state it again clearly: it's not necessary to "save books to disk" in Calibre in order to load EPUB books from Calibre in Marvin.
But it is necessary to load them with iTunes, which is what ProfCrash was discussing, and said so in the post you responded to.

Your replies have been very rude.
If English is not your first language, perhaps you have not intended that.
Closed Thread