Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 06:20 AM   #1
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
How Kobo has changed in the last 12 months

When I first started using Kobo about this time last year it was a very good way to buy books and read them

Nice clean app, Library section where you just open your book and read it
Simple website that you found your book and bought it

forward 12 months

Website that won't stay logged in, for my security even though i am the only one that uses the laptop
annoying 'here are books you might want' on nearly every page I view
annoying quick buy that prevents use of codes (can be disabled)
box that shows previous items viewed which covers the bottom half of the screen (can also be disabled)
android app that keeps pushing books in my face, I want to read not buy, allow me to turn this off
not to mention bugs that appear with every relese

come on kobo, go back to basics and make my book reading experience enjoyable again

/rant over
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Ahh, I just realised... the reason for the logout for security reason is because of Quick Buy. Now that your account can automatically charge a credit card without having to enter it...

Amazing how a 'feature' designed to make it easier to buy books, in fact, makes it more difficult.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Ahh, I just realised... the reason for the logout for security reason is because of Quick Buy. Now that your account can automatically charge a credit card without having to enter it...

Amazing how a 'feature' designed to make it easier to buy books, in fact, makes it more difficult.
lets hope they don't take this further

imagine having to log in on your device each time you want to read a book and having everything re-downloaded
Old 11-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
And don't forget that you can't even see the book prices when buying through the ereader unless you start the buying process. :/
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:39 AM   #5
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Not being able to view the prices immediately put me off from buying books from Kobo. If there is no price, it must be free... IMHO. That sort of crap just annoys me to no end -it reeks of guilting the buyer into an inflated price that is only revealed after one must go to the trouble of indicating interest usually followed by excessive overselling in a personal encounter. Just plain annoying online.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
lets hope they don't take this further

imagine having to log in on your device each time you want to read a book and having everything re-downloaded
Gahhhh... we have enough troubles already don't give them more "feature" ideas.

On that note, while I haven't bought any books from Kobo for months now as I am trying to catch up on my reading of the massive amount of books already bought my first thought now-a-days isn't Kobo when I think of buying a book. Now I check out Books-on-Board and Baen.com. At least at Baen I KNOW I am going to be recommended Sci-Fi and not some damn romance or vampires book... or worse yet romantic vampires.

Last edited by Danger; 11-09-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
or worse yet romantic vampires.
Giving a whole new definition for the word 'necking'...
Old 11-11-2012, 01:11 AM   #8
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post

I never enabled that feature, and I don't seem to be logged out any quicker than I used to be, so if you turn off that feature the previous behaviour may return for you. Worth a try (especially since Quick Buy means you can't ever use discount codes on non-agency books!).
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:53 AM   #9
murg
No Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
I never enabled that feature, and I don't seem to be logged out any quicker than I used to be, so if you turn off that feature the previous behaviour may return for you. Worth a try (especially since Quick Buy means you can't ever use discount codes on non-agency books!).
I believe that Kobo, in their usual wisdom, implemented the auto-log off feature without any finesse, and is just logging off everyone, regardless of the setting of the QuickBuy flag. They did, after all, forceably turn on QuickBuy for everyone. Obviously, Quick Buy is a good idea, why would anyone not want to use it?

I just had an image of Kobo as an especially distractable dog, getting a thought and acting on it, without really thinking about the ramifications of the action, or thinking through to the next step of consequence.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #10
paulsalter
Fanatic

I find this very funny, kobo introduce a thing called Quick Buy that actually makes it take longer to buy a book

If I didn't prefer the kobo reading experience (minus the added junk they keep spamming me with) I would ditch them
Old 11-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I can see the book prices before buying them, what gives

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
And don't forget that you can't even see the book prices when buying through the ereader unless you start the buying process. :/
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I can see the book prices before buying them, what gives
When trying to buy through your Kobo device? (you see the prices in the desktop and, most likely, the iOS, Android, and BlackBerry apps)
Old 11-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #13
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yes on my device, whenever I turn the Wi fi on and go to the Kobo store after selecting a category, books there have two choices "buy" and "preview" and the prices are there ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
When trying to buy through your Kobo device? (you see the prices in the desktop and, most likely, the iOS, Android, and BlackBerry apps)
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Well, what puts me off buying is not knowing how many pages are in the book. I really don't like how you can't tell a short story from a full length novel. Even file size is insufficient as a big file might just be a big graphic front page.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #15
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Yes on my device, whenever I turn the Wi fi on and go to the Kobo store after selecting a category, books there have two choices "buy" and "preview" and the prices are there ...
Strange. When I do it, there's a plain "Buy" button which takes you to a full page of info on the book with another plain "Buy" button. It's only after that, I'm assuming, that the price gets revealed.