Notices

Old 07-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
JPS
Connoisseur
JPS doesn't litterJPS doesn't litter

Device: iPad II
Best Epub reader for Ipad 2 ?

Hi !

I'm very desapointed by the iBooks software delivered with the iPad: I was used to the way I could sort out and find my latest read books in my Sony PRS-650, and I can't do that on the iPad !

I have more than 1000 books stored, and I prefer to carry only my iPad with me instead of having to drag along ALSO the Sony !

Is there an Ebook reader made for iPad, in which I can sort my books in different ways, like reading date, storing date, title, author, etc... ?

Thanks in advance for any tips or advices !

J-P.
JPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Stanza,megareader, Bluefire are some of the more popular reading apps. Although Stanza is no longer supported it does work with iOS 5 and it is the one I prefer (until I no longer have any choice...)
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
JPS
Connoisseur
JPS doesn't litterJPS doesn't litter

Device: iPad II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Stanza,megareader, Bluefire are some of the more popular reading apps. Although Stanza is no longer supported it does work with iOS 5 and it is the one I prefer (until I no longer have any choice...)
Merci Chantal pour cette rapide réponse !

...je vais essayer de downloader "Stanza", "Megareader" et "Bluefire", et les comparer !

J-P.
JPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS View Post
Merci Chantal pour cette rapide réponse !

...je vais essayer de downloader "Stanza", "Megareader" et "Bluefire", et les comparer !

J-P.
De rien! Stanza est mon choix #1, ensuite Bluefire et en dernier Megareader. Malheureusement Stanza fut acheter par Amazon et ils ne developent plus cette app, mais en attendant qu'elle ne fonctionne plus (iOS 6 peut être) c'est vraiment la meilleure!

Last edited by Cdesja5; 07-03-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Megareader is a very poor choice. It doesn't render properly. The best one is Bluefire Reader. It's based on ADE and thus, will work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
My vote goes to Stanza. It is highly configurable and renders correctly.

Bluefire is good but not as configurable. Also, if you are Jailbroken then Bluefire will hang every time you try to close it.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:23 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Megareader is a very poor choice. It doesn't render properly. The best one is Bluefire Reader. It's based on ADE and thus, will work.
But Bluefire reader, so far as I can tell, sorts by author's first name, and not by surname. And I think the original poster wanted to sort by collection; can Bluefire do that?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
Another you might try is Apabi. You can change your line spacing and paragraph spacing. You can sort by Author, Title, Publisher, File Size and.... my favorite... by Date Added.

Sure there are things that I would like added/changed, but, so far, I do like it and I've been trying iBooks, BlueFire and, the all time favorite Stanza.
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
But Bluefire reader, so far as I can tell, sorts by author's first name, and not by surname. And I think the original poster wanted to sort by collection; can Bluefire do that?
Bluefire is coming with an update in (I think) August with better document handling. Also, Bluefire is the best app so far for displaying ePub. That counts for a lot more then sorting by author last name.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
Another you might try is Apabi. You can change your line spacing and paragraph spacing. You can sort by Author, Title, Publisher, File Size and.... my favorite... by Date Added.

Sure there are things that I would like added/changed, but, so far, I do like it and I've been trying iBooks, BlueFire and, the all time favorite Stanza.
I tried Apabi earlier today. I didn't like it at all because it doesn't respect the eBook's formatting. The indents were way too large, the sans-serif font that sould have displayed didn't, and the margins are too big. Overall, it's not nice.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
Shell30Bell
Avid Reader
Shell30Bell began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS View Post
Hi !

I'm very desapointed by the iBooks software delivered with the iPad: I was used to the way I could sort out and find my latest read books in my Sony PRS-650, and I can't do that on the iPad !

I have more than 1000 books stored, and I prefer to carry only my iPad with me instead of having to drag along ALSO the Sony !

Is there an Ebook reader made for iPad, in which I can sort my books in different ways, like reading date, storing date, title, author, etc... ?

Thanks in advance for any tips or advices !

J-P.
If you have 1000+ books stored then Bluefire might not be the best app to use. Unless the memory issue has been resolved then you will only be able to store approximately 350-500 books. I can't recall how many books I had loaded but the app continuously crashed when I tried to read a book. Once I reduced the number of books stored to under 500 then it was OK. I gave up on Bluefire and am currently using ShuBook and have 2000+ stored on my iPad. I haven't seen anything to indicate that this issue with Bluefire has been resolved but I may have missed something.
Shell30Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell30Bell View Post
If you have 1000+ books stored then Bluefire might not be the best app to use. Unless the memory issue has been resolved then you will only be able to store approximately 350-500 books. I can't recall how many books I had loaded but the app continuously crashed when I tried to read a book. Once I reduced the number of books stored to under 500 then it was OK. I gave up on Bluefire and am currently using ShuBook and have 2000+ stored on my iPad. I haven't seen anything to indicate that this issue with Bluefire has been resolved but I may have missed something.
Seriously, why would you need more then 500 books at one time to be able to read? That's just silly and this limit is not really much of an issue given how long it would actually take you to read 500 books.

How well does ShuBook actually render? I've tried Apabi and it was awful. Bluefire renders well. Does ShuBook respect the CSS?

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-04-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:54 AM   #13
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Bluefire is coming with an update in (I think) August with better document handling. Also, Bluefire is the best app so far for displaying ePub. That counts for a lot more then sorting by author last name.
Let's agree to disagree, again.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #14
Olgeirhel
Olgeirhel began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
There is an kindle app in the appstore. I have been using if for some days and I'm satisfied with it. I'm not keeping as many books on my iPad as JPS
Olgeirhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:00 AM   #15
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Seriously, why would you need more then 500 books at one time to be able to read? That's just silly and this limit is not really much of an issue given how long it would actually take you to read 500 books.

How well does ShuBook actually render? I've tried Apabi and it was awful. Bluefire renders well. Does ShuBook respect the CSS?
It's not silly in the slightest. Some people like to carry their library with them, others like only the books they are actively reading at a given time. It all depends on your reading habits, how often you can sync with your computer and whither or not you actually sync with a computer. There is no one true way of doing things. That's why apps that aren't very flexible don't tend to do well.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote