Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 07-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #931
nangface
nangface began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Kindle
@mariosipad

Thanks, but I figured it out in the end. Just needed to create a password file with htpasswd and then point to it in the AuthUserFile line of the .htaccess file.

I would second bkwrmgrl's suggestion of better documentation for COPS.
nangface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #932
vlad59
Addict
vlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo eReader Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nangface View Post
@mariosipad

Thanks, but I figured it out in the end. Just needed to create a password file with htpasswd and then point to it in the AuthUserFile line of the .htaccess file.

I would second bkwrmgrl's suggestion of better documentation for COPS.
Hi all,

I'll also second the suggestion of a better documentation but to be completely honest I've very little time to spend on it. I also personally think that a good documentation is a documentation written by users and validated by developers.

On the other hand, I'd be happy to read / validate any addition to COPS's wiki (https://github.com/seblucas/cops).

Be prepared for a new version of COPS in the next 2 weeks !
vlad59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #933
mariosipad
Guru
mariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watch

Device: iPad & iPhone with Marvin 2 + 3 & Kobo Glo HD
Hi vlad59

In my experience the problem with the documentation of COPS is that because COPS can be installed on Windows, Linux, OSX, NAS-es, etc. and works with several different web servers (apache, nginx, etc.) every installation, especially when done for the first time, is almost unique. However once installed on one system it's quite easy to setup other systems.

It's sometimes easier (and more fun) to answer user questions one at a time than to provide a comprehensive all incorporating tutorial (all really good documentation takes a lot of time and effort).

Maybe it's an idea to expand the wiki with some beginners topics?
mariosipad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #934
nangface
nangface began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Kindle
Hey vlad59,

First up, congratulations on COPS, it's excellent. Completely understand you don't have time yourself to write detailed documentation, and totally agree it would be better written by the many users, especially since (as mariosipad points out) there are so many possible implementations.

I'd be up for contributing, but since the installation for me was really simple, the only thing I could contribute is how to set up password protection (on a Linux-based web server, in case it's not the same in every case), since I had to do a bit of digging to find out about htpasswd. But I imagine there are far more qualified people than me who could do it much better.
nangface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:57 AM   #935
Twisted_Daemon
Twisted_Daemon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but I'm having trouble getting COPS to work on my server.

checkconfig.php displays fine and says everything is ok but when I try to display the default index.php I get the following error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION, expecting ')' in /i-data/f6f9a6d4/library/book.php on line 142

I'm not a php expert but the code in there looks fine... Is there anything I can change to get it working?

I hope you can help.

Server: NSA325 running FFP 0.7 ARM.
PHP: 5.2.8
MySQL: 5.1.30
Twisted_Daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2014, 05:39 AM   #936
vlad59
Addict
vlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted_Daemon View Post
Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but I'm having trouble getting COPS to work on my server.

checkconfig.php displays fine and says everything is ok but when I try to display the default index.php I get the following error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION, expecting ')' in /i-data/f6f9a6d4/library/book.php on line 142

I'm not a php expert but the code in there looks fine... Is there anything I can change to get it working?

I hope you can help.

Server: NSA325 running FFP 0.7 ARM.
PHP: 5.2.8
MySQL: 5.1.30
Hi,

The problem lies with your PHP version you'll have to use PHP >= 5.3

You can't use PHP 5.2.8.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:01 AM   #937
Twisted_Daemon
Twisted_Daemon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hey vlad59,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I thought that might be the case... I'll try to find a way of upgrading it.
Twisted_Daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:16 AM   #938
mizio66
mizio66 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, Kobo Aura, Cybook Gen3
Strange issue

I use the excellent COPS on my iPad Air with Marvin.
I have a strange behavior though... since a bit, the local OPDS or WEB connection to COPS from my iPad is not working, while if I access the same server via my DDNS account, it works...

So locally, not working, remotely working...

what can it be ??????

Thanks!

M
mizio66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #939
mariosipad
Guru
mariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watch

Are you sure your iPad is (with WifI) connected to the same network (LAN) your COPS server is in, and not connected to the network of your neighbour (or public ISP network)?
Old 07-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #940
ekekakos
ekekakos began at the beginning.

Device: android
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony59 View Post
I host my Calibre library on my Synology DS412+ running DSM 5.0 and then sync it back to my desktop hard drive (for backup purposes). I have had no issues at all with this approach. It works really well.
Both COPS installations I am running 0.9.0-1 and 1.0 RC1 (for testing and for working out how to use passwords) work really well.
I prefer this approach as it ensures that any changes are immediately available.
BTW, really appreciate the effort vlad and other coders put into this project.
I follow this thread and used it extensively to help me work out pitfalls not to fall into when starting to use my new NAS for serving my ebooks.
I have a DS414 with the latest version of DSM 5 but the cops do not work. It cannot find the database metadata.db. Can someone tell what he did and worked.
Thanks
ekekakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:40 AM   #941
mariosipad
Guru

@ekekakos

Please post your "config_local.php" and a screenshot of http://<IP-Synology>/cops/checkconfig.php zo that we can determine what is wrong.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #942
vlad59
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekekakos View Post
I have a DS414 with the latest version of DSM 5 but the cops do not work. It cannot find the database metadata.db. Can someone tell what he did and worked.
Thanks
With a little luck the answer posted here will help.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:51 PM   #943
micster
Enthusiast
micster began at the beginning.

Device: none
Half Star Ratings

I don't think this has been mentioned before, but half-star ratings do not display correctly. It rounds the ".5" value up and then you get a rating out of six stars instead of five i.e. ★★★★☆☆

I'm using an older version of COPS but the bug appears to be in the latest cops-1.0.0RC1 also. The culprit seems to be the getRating() function around line 250 of book.php

Find this...
PHP Code:
public function getRating () {
    if (
is_null ($this->rating) || $this->rating == 0) {
        return 
"";
    }

$retour "";
    for (
$i 0$i $this->rating 2$i++) {

$retour .= "★";
    }
    for (
$i 0$i $this->rating 2$i++) {

$retour .= "☆";
    }
    return 
$retour;

I added my own variable that rounds all ratings down...
PHP Code:
public function getRating () {

$myrating floor(($this->rating)/2);

if (
is_null ($myrating) || $myrating == 0) {
        return 
"";
    }

$retour "";
    for (
$i 0$i $myrating$i++) {

$retour .= "★";
    }
    for (
$i 0$i $myrating$i++) {

$retour .= "☆";
    }
    return 
$retour;

There is probably some clever PHP way for dealing with floats that would give you a half-star rating, but I'm not a programmer. I'm not even sure that my hack is a good fix.

I just wanted a five star rating and I don't mind if my ratings get rounded down (they could just as easily be rounded up instead) so this works for me.
micster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:57 AM   #944
vlad59
Addict

@micster

I didn't know the ratings could be a float. Within Calibre you can only set it to value from 0 stars to 5 stars or did I miss a setting ?

Once I find out how to have a correct testcase I'll fix it soon.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #945
micster
Enthusiast
micster began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad59 View Post
@micster

I didn't know the ratings could be a float. Within Calibre you can only set it to value from 0 stars to 5 stars or did I miss a setting ?

Once I find out how to have a correct testcase I'll fix it soon.
My books seem to be rated from 0-10. And yes, they start off as whole numbers and not floats. But then if a book has a rating of five and then it gets divided by 2 in the function getRating () we are left with the float 2.5 which causes a problem.
micster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre opds, dns, kobo aura, synology