Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #196
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Actually, different payload destination files are used by some jailbreaks, and an uninstaller for one will NOT work with another.
Hmm... then I would argue that the other jailbreaks are not carefully written.

Yifan Lu's first jailbreak installed exactly one file.
My jailbreak installed exactly that same file, so it can be uninstalled using the original uninstaller (side note: the "reset to english" is a non-issue, because as of now, a non-jailbroken KT cannot have been localized yet, so I'm in fact overwriting the locale file with an identical version; and even if it was, it would be trivial to localize it again).

I haven't tested the other jailbreaks, but since the whole purpose of the jailbreak is to install that one key file, I argue that the installers have to clean up after themselves so as to only leave that single file behind. And if they do, then... well, the original uninstaller can be used for either of them
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #197
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Or just use a different IP address for each Kindle.
Since that private address range is 192.168.0.0/16 you shouldn't run into this problem until you have more than (2^16)-3 Kindles hooked up.
My earlier kindles use uniq IP addresses. I created a script to assign them unique hwaddr too, so I can plug them all info USB ports and access all of them without arp table collisions. Look for my mntusb script in the collected hacks sticky.
Quote:
The message says which key (line number, same thing) in your known_hosts file is the conflicting one - use a text editor to delete it.
Except, like I said, you would have this problem again every time you plug in a different kindle using the same IP address. The k4 and touch have a preferred address (192.168.15.244) and the want the host PC to be at 192.168.15.201. Changing this will make some things not work unless reconfigured in the kindle configs.
Quote:
With known_hosts redirected to /dev/null you lose host authentication, not something you want to throw away if using your ssh client to connect to things other than a single Kindle under test.
Okay, you caught me red-handed on that one (almost). I did not take the time to go back and see how I *really* handled this situation...

Actually, my error message was a little different, pointing to a different hosts file in ~/.ssh/known_hosts. I did not replace it with a symlink. What I did is to change a line in ~/.ssh/config:
UserKnownHostsFile /dev/null

I found that solution to my problem somewhere in the vast "interwebs", and it worked for me. I use putty on windows to connect to ssh in the outside world, so not a problem for me.

Do you have a way that would allow multiple kindles with different IPs to connect without this message, and not having to edit the known_hosts file every time?

The way I thought of as mentioned above is to use the same key file in all the kindles. I actually did copy the rsa key file between main and diags partitions for the kindle image files I use for debricking, to prevent that message when using SSH on main and diags on the same kindle. I am considering just copying that to my other kindles, then I do not need to use the /dev/null "solution", and accessing outside ssh hosts would not be a problem.

Is there a better way?

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-01-2012 at 10:46 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #198
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unhappy jailbreak package abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Hmm... then I would argue that the other jailbreaks are not carefully written.
Agreed. With the signed update packages, developers needed enough knowledge to be able to sign them, and would hopefully know to test them carefully. But most importantly, signed updates will not install on the wrong kindle model.

But with the data.tar.gz method, it drops the payload BEFORE any script can execute, potentially damaging what it replaced. This one is so easy that the "script kiddies" have been busy. There are a lot of RUNME.sh payloads out in various threads, packaged with data.tar.gz files for either the touch or the k4nt, and people are installing the wrong ones. I have helped people debrick kindles that had this exact problem. A "not smart" mntus.params payload (like the model-specific ones in the threads) will brick a kindle if it contains the wrong parameter values.

The problem is that the jailbreak packages are being repurposed as a RUNME script launcher, which is so easy to use that the script kiddies are writing versions that are not carefully written (like other typical script-kiddie scripts). There are enough beginners here that the disorganized crossover between k4nt and touch is causing confusion and bricking.
Quote:
(side note: the "reset to english" is a non-issue, because as of now, a non-jailbroken KT cannot have been localized yet, so I'm in fact overwriting the locale file with an identical version; and even if it was, it would be trivial to localize it again).
Actually, the kindle gets localized when you select a language the first time you start it. No jailbreak needed for that. Yes, it would be trivial to change your locale back to your language, but then you would have to explore the menu system -- not as easy for newcomers as the first-time startup language selection.
Quote:
I haven't tested the other jailbreaks, but since the whole purpose of the jailbreak is to install that one key file, I argue that the installers have to clean up after themselves so as to only leave that single file behind. And if they do, then... well, the original uninstaller can be used for either of them
I agree that the purpose of a JAILBREAK is just to install key files. Yifanlu's latest jailbreak also installs the combined developer keys, in addition to the update key. But these jailbreaks also install a payload file (locale in your case, or mntus.params in yifanlu's newer jailbreak package for the k4nt), and more importantly, it runs a RUNME script if it finds one. And this is why the jailbreaks are being used for things OTHER than jailbreak (in fact, installing a jailbreak key in these cases is redundant and incidental, and most script kiddie stuff just replaces the key file installer with their own code). It is usually just the data.tar.gz and its payload that are being packaged with new RUNME scripts to install OTHER things (removal of Special Offers seems to be popular in the forums, but there are a lot of other ones too).

Although data.tar.gz itself is being called a "jailbreak" in various posts, the payload typically does not install a key file, but is being used ONLY to run various RUNME scripts scattered around in the forums (especially in the K4NT threads). Because the locale file only works on the touch, whereas mntus.params works on the k4nt and the touch, when booting diags and when booting main, even yifanlu is using it in his latest jailbreak package (for k4nt).

I use the newer mntus.params payload for my kindle recovery package ("Select Boot" and "Fastboot Manifesto" threads) for touch and k4nt recovery. This payload also works on earlier kindles too, but requires a different delivery mechanism. I was careful to make it a "smart" (aware of its environment) script so it will work on all kindle models (but needs adjusting for k1 and k2).

The purpose of my thread was to clear up some of the misunderstanding, and provide a little history lesson about using the tar bug payloads, and where it is heading. No intentions here to step on any toes...

P.S. I bumped your karma from ~4500 to ~7500 yesterday, so that should take your mind off your sore toes.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-01-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #199
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The problem is that the jailbreak packages are being repurposed as a RUNME script launcher, which is so easy to use that the script kiddies are writing versions that are not carefully written (like other typical script-kiddie scripts). There are enough beginners here that the disorganized crossover between k4nt and touch is causing confusion and bricking.
Actually, the kindle gets localized when you select a language the first time you start it. No jailbreak needed for that.
Agree with the beginning; disagree with that last sentence. For the simple reason that unlike the K4, the KT is only shipped in english. There is no localization possibility until *after* you apply the jailbreak and install the localization package that we developed.

That was exactly the reason why I chose the locale file, instead of another one: The jailbreak will leave it in exactly the state that it is on a factory-fresh Kindle. I specifically did not choose another file (tzVar etc.), because I wasn't sure of the implications.

Quote:
Yes, it would be trivial to change your locale back to your language, but then you would have to explore the menu system -- not as easy for newcomers as the first-time startup language selection.
I agree that the purpose of a JAILBREAK is just to install a key file, but it also installs a payload file (locale in your case, or mntus.params in yifanlu's newer jailbreak package for the k4nt), and more importantly, it runs a RUNME script if it finds on. And this is why the jailbreaks are being used for things OTHER than jailbreak (in fact, installing a jailbreak key in these cases is redundant and incidental, and most script kiddie stuff just replaces the key file installer with their own code). It is usually just the data.tar.gz and its payload that are being packaged with new RUNME scripts to install OTHER things (removal of Special Offers seems to be popular in the forums, but there are a lot of other ones too).
Ok, I see what you mean. But as you say, this is actually "using the same mechanism as the jailbreak uses for other purposes than jailbreaking". It's a different story.

People are free to do whatever they want with the information they get, even shooting themselves in the foot... but there is no way that we can know how to uninstall things which are out of our control. And I repeat: uninstalling the jailbreak is as easy as removing the developer certificate, which can be achieved by using the original uninstaller.

Probably it's all just a matter of "define jailbreak". For me, that encompasses the well-known releases which are officially labeled "jailbreak" (only!). As said, anything else ("RUNME.sh launcher" etc.) has uncontrollable side-effects, so it is generally impossible to tell how these could be uninstalled anyway.

Cheers
Old 03-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #200
geekmaster

Quote:
... unlike the K4, the KT is only shipped in english. There is no localization possibility until *after* you apply the jailbreak and install the localization package that we developed.
Only English FOR NOW. Your original post was generic about jailbreaks, and there is a lot of crossover between the touch and k4nt posts, and unless you modify it, it will still be here long into the future. I just wanted to clarify the details of jailbreaks for all kindle models.
Quote:
People are free to do whatever they want with the information they get, even shooting themselves in the foot...
But we should not make it too easy for them to accidentally brick their kindles before they know that the (non environmentally aware) data.tar.gz files are model-specific. At least the update packages do not damage anything if you attempt to use the wrong version.
Quote:
Probably it's all just a matter of "define jailbreak". For me, that encompasses the well-known releases which are officially labeled "jailbreak" (only!). As said, anything else ("RUNME.sh launcher" etc.) has uncontrollable side-effects, so it is generally impossible to tell how these could be uninstalled anyway.
Yes, there are differences in how the term "jailbreak" is being used in the forums. I just thought my clarification was needed because a lot of posts are calling the data.tar.gz file a "jailbreak", although technically it is just being used as a RUNME runner...

And now, you can uninstall anything launched from a RUNME.sh that caused damage. Just restore a backup copy of mmcblk0p1.img after booting to diagnostics. You can use my data.tar.gz and a RUNME.sh that uses dd to write the backup copy to /dev/mmcblk0p1. You cannot flash mmcblk0p1 with fastboot because it is too big. And now you can run SSH from diags too (just like on K4NT, if yo flash my mmcblk0p2.img with dropbear pre-installed). You can rewrite the main system partition with dd from SSH on diags. That will fix those pesky malicious RUNME installers.

You can install a "factory fresh" mmcblk0p1 too, and your kindle will boot up like when it was fresh out of the box. Just be aware that to avoid corruption, you should not write a backup image to the partition that you booted from. My recent RUNME scripts check for this and reboot into the other bootmode if needed, and remove the RUNME.done when changing bootmode so that they run again in the other bootmode. One script could restore main and diags images by rebooting and resuming execution, as needed to prevent partition image corruption.

I still have a long way to go. I want to use my mntus.params to run a boot menu that lets you select main, diags, fastboot, or loading a custom linux kernel from /mnt/us. Perhaps this boot menu should only be displayed if the Home button is pressed when the LED blinks "green-yellow-green-yellow-green" for 2 seconds while mntus.params is running. I want to have a backup and restore utility in this menu too, which runs even if the main system partition is corrupted and cannot boot. For image and file restore, I want a GUI "Time Slider" method to select backup images to restore. It could be based on a local MD5 list of backup images on a host PC, and if not on the USB Drive, it could export the USB drive with a message about which file to put on it. Just "pipe dreams" right now though...

P.S. The mmcblk0p2.img.gz URL for the diags partition backup image with SSH pre-installed is at the bottom of the first post in the "Select Boot" thread. You start SSH from diags on the Touch with Diagnostics menu items N) U) Z) X), just like on the K4NT. Very useful for exploring and debricking the main partition.

Enjoy!

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-01-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 01:36 AM   #201
alberthu110
alberthu110 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Yifan lu's jailbreak download failure

Who has Yifan Lu's "update_jailbreak_X.Y_k5 uninstall.bin"? Yifan Lu's download link has already failed. My email: hu-shijie@hotmail.com. Thank you all!
alberthu110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:11 AM   #202
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberthu110 View Post
Who has Yifan Lu's "update_jailbreak_X.Y_k5 uninstall.bin"? Yifan Lu's download link has already failed. My email: hu-shijie@hotmail.com. Thank you all!
There is no version "X.Y" jailbreak, and no download link for a version "X.Y" jailbreak. WHAT download link "already failed"? Please provide the URL that you tried to use.

Yifan Lu's website works fine for me, so you must have tried to use a bad "link". Where is the link that you clicked to download this file? Or, did you mean "URL" (that you typed) instead of "link" (that you clicked).

Were did you get "update_jailbreak_X.Y_k5 uninstall.bin" file name? If you got that from a README file, you need to replace "X.Y" with the version numbers for the jailbreak version that you used.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-06-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #203
SMR
SMR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi together,

sorry, I don't want to disturb you cracks

I want to install the german translation file translation-de_DE.properties and I don't know how. Somebody wrote, I have to copy it into the fonthack folder. I did, but nothing happend

Hope you will help ... Thanks a lot
SMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #204
ixtab
(offline)

1. This is the wrong thread

2. translation-de_DE.properties is the german translation for the font hack only!

If you are looking to localize your entire Kindle, see this thread. An even easier method (for german only!) can be found here.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #205
SMR
SMR began at the beginning.

I'm so sorry I noticed it, but you were faster

Danke
SMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #206
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

Unhappy Can't Jailbreak 5.1

I had some problems updating my Kindle to version 5.1. I had to uninstall most of the hacks in order to avoid error 006. After updating I received the dreaded "Your kindle needs service. Contact Amazon support" screen. After connecting it to the PC the problem disappeared but the repair needed screen came back at every restart and various other occasions. I managed to Reset my Kindle and now it works fine.

My problem is the fact that I uninstalled the jailbreak prior to the update and now I can't jailbreak it again. I believe that the after the update my kindle ignores the data.tar.gz file.
wolftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #207
ixtab
(offline)

... guess what
Old 04-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #208
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

Lightbulb

I found out the cause of the broken kindle screen. I had a custom font installed but I had reverted the the original libfreetype. After installing the custom libfreetype, the problem is corrected.
wolftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #209
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftail View Post
I found out the cause of the broken kindle screen. I had a custom font installed but I had reverted the the original libfreetype. After installing the custom libfreetype, the problem is corrected.
hi wolftall

i also had the same problem. i uninstalled the libfreetype only after i have successfully installed 5.1.0. fortunately, my KT went back to normal after i connected it my PC.

i'm thinking of installing the libfreetype again to correct some font issues, but am afraid that my KT will freeze again.
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #210
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Shameless plug!

I've forked yifanlu's KindleTool on github. It's a work in progress aimed at getting it to run properly on Linux. As a side-effect, it's probably utterly broken on OS X/Cygwin .

Right now, it should mostly work, but I haven't actually looked carefully at the output/tested anything on the 'create' front. I'll do that tomorrow .

In the mean time, I'm open to comments/patches/bug reports .

Keep in mind that I'm basically useless at C, so, err, be gentle .

(And when I say useless, I'm barely exaggerating:

h 1 | grep "make debug" | wc -l == 196
h 1 | grep "Debug/kindletool" | wc -l == 268

Add to that a few build/runs through kdevelop when I was playing around with it ).

Once we're more or less sure it's okay, I'll send a pull request.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote