Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Welcome to the Kindle Fire Section...

Hi All...

Welcome to the kindle fire section. For discussion about all thing Kindle Fire.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Hi all.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
yegon
Connoisseur
yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Good evening.

I've zero interest in the Fire - it's not targeted at me and above all, I'm old fashioned, locally stored high quality vid is my choice - but I can certainly see it succeeding.

The only thing I struggle to get my head around is the combo of low storage capacity and wifi only. Streaming/cloud is a big part of Amazon's strategy but doesn't the lack of 3G seriously hamper this functionality? I can understand the reasons of it being omitted - hardware cost and perhaps people's unwillingness to get tied into another data plan - but there being no option of the upsell surprises me. 3G option to come later mayhaps?

Last edited by yegon; 10-03-2011 at 01:01 PM.
yegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Just wondering: do we really need a separate forum for this? We could just have tags to indicate the genre of thread topic, assuming we could come up with a reasonable set of them (K1, K2, K3, K4, KTouch, KFire). Topics of general Kindle interest of course would not need a tag. This seems to work ok on the Nook and Apple forums, and I like not having to scan 2 or more forums when 1 will do..

Just a thought, belated though it may be.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
dihao168
Banned
dihao168 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad2
hi all
dihao168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 03:59 AM   #6
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yegon View Post
Good evening.

The only thing I struggle to get my head around is the combo of low storage capacity and wifi only. Streaming/cloud is a big part of Amazon's strategy but doesn't the lack of 3G seriously hamper this functionality? I can understand the reasons of it being omitted - hardware cost and perhaps people's unwillingness to get tied into another data plan - but there being no option of the upsell surprises me. 3G option to come later mayhaps?
You say you can understand, but I think you're not taking the numbers into account. A standard 1080p, ONE-HOUR tv show runs roughly 1.2gb. The same tv show in 720p is still 400mb. Never mind movies. With typical data plans running what...2-5gb / mo?

You're not going to see anything like that until there's true, unlimited, cellular (or other 'anywhere' tech) plans available.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Just wondering: do we really need a separate forum for this? We could just have tags to indicate the genre of thread topic, assuming we could come up with a reasonable set of them (K1, K2, K3, K4, KTouch, KFire). Topics of general Kindle interest of course would not need a tag. This seems to work ok on the Nook and Apple forums, and I like not having to scan 2 or more forums when 1 will do..

The Kindle fire really doesn't seem to have an awful lot in common with the eInk Kindles though. It seems much closer to a Nook Color, Galaxy Tab, etc... An LCD tablet running a Kindle app. The Nook Color does now have a separate sub-forum.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post

If it were me, I'd place the Kindle Fire and Nook Color in the Android Forum.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
If it were me, I'd place the Kindle Fire and Nook Color in the Android Forum.
As the OP says we did consider that... but felt more main stream users would just look for it in the Kindle and/or Nook sections.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
As the OP says we did consider that... but felt more main stream users would just look for it in the Kindle and/or Nook sections.

BOb
It's all good. People will find the right section no matter where they're placed.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote