Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-25-2022, 07:18 AM   #1
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
rebuild cc.db?

I screwed up my Kindle PW3 database with duplicate ASINs.

Now when I sideload new books, they do not appear in the library, though older ones still seem to work.

It was suggested that if I deleted /var/local/cc.db (which would require jailbreaking, which I think I can do) that it would rebuild it to match the files in /documents. I have almost 1000 books, so would prefer not to start from scratch.

Would this work? What info, if any would I lose?
Is it known what the files in the sdr folders do? Presumably at least position in each book, perhaps notes, speed of reading. The text index?
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:47 AM   #2
Kusuri
Connoisseur
Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4+Fire 7", Onyx Boox Nova Air
can't you in theory just copy your ./documents folder (with all the .sdr folders) and then factory reset your kindle (or install the firmware new)? ..and then just copy the documents folder back?

the .sdr folders contain basically stuff like your current position in the book.. so if you copy them over and then back, it should still have all your locations in the books.

i don't know about the /var/local/cc.db, but that would be my first idea how to fix it the best.
Kusuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2022, 01:49 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusuri View Post
can't you in theory just copy your ./documents folder (with all the .sdr folders) and then factory reset your kindle (or install the firmware new)? ..and then just copy the documents folder back?
When that was originally suggested, he didn't want to lose collections. Since he now seems willing to re-setup collections, the above is a viable option but not necessarily best since collections would be lost. (he would also have to re-register, but that is trivial.

Quote:
the .sdr folders contain basically stuff like your current position in the book.. so if you copy them over and then back, it should still have all your locations in the books.

i don't know about the /var/local/cc.db, but that would be my first idea how to fix it the best.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 01:54 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
Is it known what the files in the sdr folders do? Presumably at least position in each book, perhaps notes, speed of reading. The text index?
For information about some of the files in the .sdr directories, see the following threads:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=321811

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=322172
Old 01-25-2022, 02:12 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

By the way, it is possible to use a computer to manage collections on a jailbroken kindle with the Calibre Kindle Collections plugin.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=245691

I've never used, or even installed, LibrarianSync or the Calibre Kindle Collections plugin. so I don't know much about them.
Advert
Old 01-25-2022, 07:48 PM   #6
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
When that was originally suggested, he didn't want to lose collections. Since he now seems willing to re-setup collections, the above is a viable option but not necessarily best since collections would be lost. (he would also have to re-register, but that is trivial.
Is it likely that the problem (newly sideloaded books not showing in the library) is in cc.db?

Does anyone know just what cc.db contains?
How much is unique, how much will be re-read from the files and folders in /documents if deleted?

Of course, would like to keep the collections, but can redo that in a couple of hours, so will do that if it will fix things. Where is collection info stored?
Old 01-25-2022, 08:58 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
Is it likely that the problem (newly sideloaded books not showing in the library) is in cc.db?
I am pretty sure that yes the problem is in cc.db

Quote:
Does anyone know just what cc.db contains?
How much is unique, how much will be re-read from the files and folders in /documents if deleted?
Some is unique and some get read from the .sdr directories in /mnt/us/documents. I don't think collection information is anywhere bu cc.db but I could easily be wrong.

Here is the mess that are the column names for the Entries table cc.db

Spoiler:

p_uuid p_type p_location p_lastAccess p_modificationTime p_isArchived p_titles_0_nominal p_titles_0_collation p_titles_0_pronunciation j_titles p_titleCount p_credits_0_name_collation j_credits p_creditCount j_collections p_collectionCount j_members p_memberCount p_lastAccessedPosition p_publicationDate p_expirationDate p_publisher p_isDRMProtected p_isVisibleInHome p_isLatestItem p_isDownloading p_isUpdateAvailable p_virtualCollectionCount p_languages_0 j_languages p_languageCount p_mimeType p_cover p_thumbnail p_diskUsage p_cdeGroup p_cdeKey p_cdeType p_version p_guid j_displayObjects j_displayTags j_excludedTransports p_isMultimediaEnabled p_watermark p_contentSize p_percentFinished p_isTestData p_contentIndexedState p_metadataIndexedState p_noteIndexedState p_credits_0_name_pronunciation p_metadataStemWords p_metadataStemLanguage p_ownershipType p_shareType p_contentState p_metadataUnicodeWords p_homeMemberCount j_collectionsSyncAttributes p_collectionSyncCounter p_collectionDataSetName p_originType p_pvcId p_companionCdeKey p_seriesState p_totalContentSize p_visibilityState p_isProcessed p_readState

Note j_collections p_collectionCount j_collectionsSyncAttributes p_collectionSyncCounter
p_collectionDataSetName

There is also a Collections table.

Quote:
Of course, would like to keep the collections, but can redo that in a couple of hours, so will do that if it will fix things. Where is collection info stored?
I am pretty sure in cc.db

If you use the right tools, you can see for yourself.

Last edited by j.p.s; 01-25-2022 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:53 AM   #8
AlanHK
Guru

I updated firmware to 5.10.3, and installed KindleBreak and KUAL.

So, how do I delete cc.db?
I can't find it from Windows when connected via USB. I thought jailbreak would unhide those folders. Apparently not.

Is there some file explorer/Norton commander or Unix shell command line app to do it on the Kindle?
Old 01-27-2022, 01:26 AM   #9
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
There is a good file manager in KOReader:
https://github.com/koreader/koreader...s/tag/v2022.01
Also can read epub books.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:54 AM   #10
AlanHK
Guru

Deleted cc.db and Kindle did not restore it using the existing books and sdr folders, only recognised newly downloaded books.

Deleted them all, then copied some back. Noticed that the files in the sdr folder were differently named than the original ones, perhaps because of the firmware upgrade. Anyway, no status info was carried over.

So gave up and did a factory reset.
Now copying my book files back.

Last edited by AlanHK; 01-27-2022 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:10 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

I'm sorry you weren't able to preserve your notes and bookmarks. It is certainly possible that amazon changed the way sdr contents are handled between 5.9.x and 5.10.x
Old 01-27-2022, 10:09 PM   #12
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I'm sorry you weren't able to preserve your notes and bookmarks. It is certainly possible that amazon changed the way sdr contents are handled between 5.9.x and 5.10.x
Maybe could have made it work if I had backed up the documents folder, reset and copied it back, i.e., the same firmware.

Maybe will have a chance to try that if I screw up sideloading again.