Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Ahh..My Kindle is a doorstop !!!!

Wow, what a weekend !!! My MacPro crashed playing Angry Birds..Appears my video card fried..(Thank goodness for AppleCare) its at the Apple Store..I bought a Nook Color to see how I like the backlite screen....It was useless outside, it went back to Best Buy an hour ago !! I came home laid out in the hammock turned on my Kindle(3)...Nada nothing...The screen saver is there as usual with Mr. Jules Verne's stern face, but it wont turn on...Brought it in the house, plugged it in, no orange light, no green light NOTHING...Now what ....?? My book collection is on Caliber at the Apple Store, who know when I get it back....Oh well...Hmm maybe go look at a SONY 950, if this thing wont fire up....

Any magical resets anyone knows of...??
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Punishment View Post
Wow, what a weekend !!! My MacPro crashed playing Angry Birds..Appears my video card fried..(Thank goodness for AppleCare) its at the Apple Store..I bought a Nook Color to see how I like the backlite screen....It was useless outside, it went back to Best Buy an hour ago !! I came home laid out in the hammock turned on my Kindle(3)...Nada nothing...The screen saver is there as usual with Mr. Jules Verne's stern face, but it wont turn on...Brought it in the house, plugged it in, no orange light, no green light NOTHING...Now what ....?? My book collection is on Caliber at the Apple Store, who know when I get it back....Oh well...Hmm maybe go look at a SONY 950, if this thing wont fire up....

Have you tried the reset button (pinhole on the back)?
Have you tried plugged into the mains adapter rather than into a computer USB port?

After that, I think a call to Amazon Customer Service is the next step. But most likely it's just completely out of power.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I it is plugged in the wall...I tried the "On/Off for 15 seconds then hit the "Home" key..Hmmm I dont see a reset hole on the back...Kindle 3...I see about 100 reset holes on both upper side !!!. Just kidding, Ill Google it !!
Old 01-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
If it is a Kindle 3 it is still under warranty - correct?

Call Amazon, have your replacement by Tuesday.

I hope hope hope you have your Calibre Library backed up.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
From Diane Gorman's site:

My Kindle is frozen/I can’t get rid of something on my screen/my Kindle is behaving strangely. What do I do? The first step when your Kindle misbehaves is always to try a restart:

* If the keys are still working: HOME->MENU->Settings->MENU->Restart
* If the keyboard is locked up: slide and hold the power switch for 30 seconds. Then wait for the Kindle to restart.
* If your K3 often reboots and locks up and it’s in a non-lighted cover which uses the hinge system, try removing the Kindle from the cover. Non-lighted covers which use the hinges may cause problems.

Good luck
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:

Call Amazon. They send you a spare device very fast.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I read somewhere about a Kindle which had it's battery depleted and didn't respond to loading at a wall-charger, reacted well when connected with USB to a PC; it got charged then.

Last edited by desertblues; 01-16-2011 at 02:04 PM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
IHmmm I dont see a reset hole on the back...Kindle 3...
Whoops. My mistake.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #9
Cpl Punishment
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
If it is a Kindle 3 it is still under warranty - correct?

Call Amazon, have your replacement by Tuesday.

I hope hope hope you have your Calibre Library backed up.
Yea...Its backed up but in a drive bay on my Apple...(I hope to have it back by Weds..)
Old 01-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
Cpl Punishment
Guru

It looks like I owe Diane Gorman a lunch...and you too for the pointer !! That worked and all is still intact....Now the thing is making me nervous, not even two months old....
Old 01-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Yea...Its backed up but in a drive bay on my Apple...(I hope to have it back by Weds..)
hmmph hmmmph (Puts on my best Mom voice)

Back-ups are essential Mister! External hard drive or even just an occasional USB stick. Offsite - such as the dropbox link in my signature!
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #12
Cpl Punishment
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
hmmph hmmmph (Puts on my best Mom voice)

Back-ups are essential Mister! External hard drive or even just an occasional USB stick. Offsite - such as the dropbox link in my signature!
You absolutely right....I have 4 drives in my MacPro..The last is a 2TB backup of the the number one drive and my Itunes/Movies....I could have slid it out before bringing it to the Apple Store (and should have!!) My external drive is for ummm, Apple Software with umm, errr, dubious pedigree...
Old 01-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #13
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
A good alternative to Dropbox is SugarSync. One advantage is you don't need a dedicated folder on your Mac like Dropbox needs.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #14
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
It looks like I owe Diane Gorman a lunch...and you too for the pointer !! That worked and all is still intact....Now the thing is making me nervous, not even two months old....
I'm glad your Kindle is back up and running since it's much to thin and light to be of much use as a doorstop.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #15
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
I'm glad your Kindle is back up and running since it's much to thin and light to be of much use as a doorstop.
well, you know you could kind of wedge it up under the door. wouldn't do much for the overall health of the kindle though
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote