Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-12-2013, 06:05 AM   #16231
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpad View Post
I bought it from an online-store that sold it only in .epub. The reason I gave the Amazon link was purely out of habit.
I suggest doing the conversion using calibre. Unless the ePub has been intended for use with Kindlegen, the calibre conversion usually does a better job of converting the formatting for Mobipocket.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:25 AM   #16232
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Next up is A Clean Kill in Tokyo by Barry Eisler, previously published as Rain Fall. I have been wanting to read some more action/thriller books for a while, so this should scratch that itch.
Interested in what you think of this one. I got it on sale recently and I'm curious about the author, not knowing much about him.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #16233
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I suggest doing the conversion using calibre. Unless the ePub has been intended for use with Kindlegen, the calibre conversion usually does a better job of converting the formatting for Mobipocket.
And convert to AZW3, not Mobi!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #16234
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Interested in what you think of this one. I got it on sale recently and I'm curious about the author, not knowing much about him.
I read this series years ago and enjoyed it.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #16235
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I am about 1/3 of the way through right now and so far it has been good. It has not been particularly action filled, but I haven't been bored at all. There have been a lot of flashbacks and reminiscing, hopefully this is mostly introduction to the character and we get to focus on the plot more soon.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #16236
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
During my commute, right now I'm reading "The Sock Wars" by Maia sepp.
It's light and so far the story rings true. I'm half way through and I don't know how it will end, but I hope to discover what's with the basement.
Disclaimer: this is better suited for a feminine audience
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #16237
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Last night I finished Ngaio Marsh's first of the Inspector Alleyn series, "A Man Lay Dead." Good, fast reading, with wonderful characters nicely laid out, and a solid plot. I have to confess that I did NOT solve the mystery myself, and had to wait for the ending. I like that in a mystery story!!

Not sure what I'll read now... I'm torn between experimenting with a new author or reading a tried-and-true writer. I've a couple of both in my TBR list... Hmmmmm

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:17 AM   #16238
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Next up, a total break from the elegant and witty Allingham -- David Weber's Shadow of Freedom.
Well, certainly a break. As with most of Weber' s recent books, this was at least 30% longer than absolutely required. But still enjoyable.

Also read/listened to: Imager Regiment. These books are good audio choices.

Next up, another Phryne Fisher. The next one is Murder in Montparnasse.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:43 AM   #16239
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I made my decision! I went with an old favorite; the "Destroyer" series, with Remo Williams and Chiun, the Master of Sinaju. If you haven't read any of these, they are a tongue-in-cheek send-up of the unsung heroes saving the world. A good belly laugh on every page. There are about 100 books in the series, the first being an attempt at making it a serious thriller. But by the second, the writers decided it would work better as humor, and boy did they get that right! Silly, campy, sort of an 'Austin Powers' without the juvenile sex. After the serious tight-laced crew in Ngaio Marsh's book, this is about as far the other side as you can get. Imagine an 80 yr old Korean cursing in Yiddish...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:46 AM   #16240
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
The Labours of Hercules by Agatha Christie. Back to one of my bargains from the Fictionwise Agatha Christie sale. Her 46th mystery book.
Oh, that was fun. Twelve short puzzles to test Poirot's "Little Grey Cells".

Next up: Heechee Rendezvous by Frederick Pohl. From a Pohl bundle from Baen I bought back in April 2011.

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-04-2013 at 12:28 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #16241
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished The Big Exit by David Carnoy and it was an excellent mystery, who-done-it. Never saw that ending coming at all!

Next up A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #16242
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
I finished A. Bertram Chandler's First Command (from Baen bundle). Awful lot of errors: wrong quotes, missing dashes, in some places whole words missing. Also, Chandler's books are full of three dots at the end of the paragraph, often I was left with something like . " on its own row which looked like scenebreak.

But I wish I could have read them when I was 12. Grimes doesn't actually do anything, things just happen to him. He even doesn't use his famous luck.

I blame David Weber for ruining me. Even if I consider the publication year, subconciously I still compare everything in space with Honorverse. Just can't enjoy good old-fashioned space opera any more!
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #16243
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
I didn't want to install Calibre on my main system, I feel it can be quite bloated at times, but I've setup a VirtualBox and will definitely try out if Calibre does a better job converting the book.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #16244
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Finished up Nick Harkaway's Angelmaker yesterday. I figured I better try and jot something coherent down before I'm too far removed from the experience.

It always seems so much easier to wax philosophic about books I didn't really enjoy; and even books that I really enjoyed. But when it comes time to talk about a book that I truly adored every aspect of ... well, words seem to fail me (or I fail the words--which is altogether likely) and I'm reduced to silly cliches and otherwise woefully inadequate praise. Angelmaker was such a book. So without further adieu; the cliches:

Funny without being silly.
Smart without being pretentious.
Dark at times without being grim.
Larger than life/exquisitely developed characters.
Plot elements that mesh seamlessly and dramatically.
A style that made it hard to put down.
Wanted to re-read it immediately upon completion.

Quite simply, the most enjoyable book I've read in some time.

Word of warning though--only because I know it trips some people, up for whatever reason: it's very British (or at least what a non-British person would consider very British. ).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #16245
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Finished up Nick Harkaway's Angelmaker yesterday. I figured I better try and jot something coherent down before I'm too far removed from the experience.

It always seems so much easier to wax philosophic about books I didn't really enjoy; and even books that I really enjoyed. But when it comes time to talk about a book that I truly adored every aspect of ... well, words seem to fail me (or I fail the words--which is altogether likely) and I'm reduced to silly cliches and otherwise woefully inadequate praise. Angelmaker was such a book. So without further adieu; the cliches:

Funny without being silly.
Smart without being pretentious.
Dark at times without being grim.
Larger than life/exquisitely developed characters.
Plot elements that mesh seamlessly and dramatically.
A style that made it hard to put down.
Wanted to re-read it immediately upon completion.

Quite simply, the most enjoyable book I've read in some time.

Word of warning though--only because I know it trips some people, up for whatever reason: it's very British (or at least what a non-British person would consider very British. ).
Thanks for the tip. Looks right up my street, so it's on my Wish List as of now. And I'm British, so I'll let you know .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote