Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 10-18-2003, 04:44 PM   #1
cwong15
cwong15 began at the beginning.

Device: Palm IIIx
Unhappy iSiloXC misconverting character entities

With both iSiloXC 3.x and 4.0, certain character entities are misconverted. A sample ixl file follows with one such offending document. Look at the first paragraph. With iSilo 4.0, I see text that reads "had neuroscience?indeed, all the life sciences?in a chokehold". If you view it in a browser, you will see that those question marks are actually em dashes.

The convertor for iSilo 2.x converts the document just fine.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<iSiloXDocumentList>
<iSiloXDocument>
<Source>
<Sources>
<Path>http://www.firstthings.com/ftissues/ft0305/reviews/dembski.html</Path>
</Sources>
</Source>
<Destination>
<Title>Book review</Title>
<Files>
<Path>/tmp/foo.pdb</Path>
</Files>
</Destination>
<LinkOptions>
<MaximumDepth value="0"/>
</LinkOptions>
<ImageOptions>
<AltText value="exclude"/>
<Images value="exclude"/>
</ImageOptions>
<TableOptions>
<IgnoreTables value="yes"/>
</TableOptions>
</iSiloXDocument>
Old 10-19-2003, 07:35 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
The problem here is that the site in question does not specify its text encoding and yet uses non-standard characters (the em dash).

To fix this, go to your channel settings -> tab Document -> click on Text Encoding Options -> and choose "Western European (ISO-8859-1)" in the second field.

You can also make this default for all sites that do not specify their encoding. To do so, go to iSiloX -> Document -> Default Properties.
Old 10-19-2003, 04:25 PM   #3
cwong15

Thanks for your suggestion, but I don't think that is it. When the charset is not specified, iSilo will let you specify it on the PDA itself. But no encoding option allows the correct display of these characters.

The page I pointed to is almost certainly Windows-1252. At least, other pages on that site specifies that encoding. But I have tried specifying that encoding, both in iSilo and in the ixl file for iSiloXC, to no avail. Also, there is no ISO-8859-1 encoding offered, neither for iSilo nor iSiloXC.

So there does not seem to be a way for iSilo 3.x/4.0 to display these character entities, at least with their "native" formats. Again, the old iSilo 2.x convertor converts these characters fine.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:56 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I converted your page,

http://www.firstthings.com/ftissues/...s/dembski.html

with the correct text encoding and it looks just fine in iSilo. I attached both, a converted database and its corresponding ixl.
Attached Files
File Type: pdb EncodeTest.pdb (23.0 KB, 507 views)
File Type: ixl encodetest.ixl (2.9 KB, 575 views)
Old 10-20-2003, 03:21 AM   #5
iSilo
Developer
iSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it isiSilo knows what time it is

Specifying the character set in iSilo (as opposed to specifying it in iSiloX during conversion) is really only useful for the case where the text of the document is raw such as plain text files or iSilo 2.x/3.x documents that definitely do not have any embedded encoding information (but even then the results might not be perfect in some instances).

For documents generated by iSiloX/C 4.0, if the source content itself does not specify it's encoding, you really do need to specify what the source encoding is during conversion if you want predictable results.

Follow what Alexander suggests. It does work.
Old 10-25-2003, 09:46 PM   #6
cwong15

Thanks, you're both right

Thanks to the both of you for replying. You're right: the CharSet setting did the trick. My mistake was to use it only under DocumentOptions, when I needed to use it under Sources to specify the input encoding.