Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 10-18-2003, 04:30 PM   #1
cwong15
cwong15 began at the beginning.

Device: Palm IIIx
iSilo paging/scrolling speed

I have been a registered user of iSilo since the 2.x days. I've been using 3.x, and am now trying out 4.0. One of the best things about iSilo 2.x was its scrolling speed: on my Palm IIIx, it could flip through pages faster than I can press the up/down buttons (I tapped the screen instead). The new/improved iSilo 3.x and 4.0 versions are far, far slower. Page down, pause, page down, pause ... etc. Even iSilo 2.x documents are slow on iSilo 3/4. I've tried the usual tricks: 1 bit video, disabling table layout, IgnoreTables=yes at conversion ... but it is still sluggish. Any other tips?
Old 10-19-2003, 07:42 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
cwong,

I wouldn't even try downscaling video to 1bit. The newer Palms and Clies have hardware acceleration support for high-color display. At least in my case (and I am using an older Clie N760C) high-color is faster than grey scale or b&w.

Tables-off should definitely increase scrolling and processing speed. Also, when you open a new document in iSilo, you should see a blinking icon to the top left. This means iSilo is currently processing the document formatting. Wait till this is done (should take several seconds depending on the size of the page and the speed of your handheld) and see if scrolling works better after that.