Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 04-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #16
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The latter. Books transferred by cable are not added to CC's database. The only exception is if all of these conditions are true:
  • The books are put in the proper CC folder
  • CC's "Scan on connect" option is enabled
  • CC successfully does a wireless connect
  • Calibre can reliably match the books to the library, something true only for certain formats such as epub.
The third condition is the bother in this scenario. If wireless connections were possible then the question wouldn't arise.
OK, makes sense. All those conditions are true for me. In any case, hopefully this helps the original poster!
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:19 AM   #17
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Just in case I wasn't clear: the "tethering" option discusses the FAQ I mentioned above is usually an easy way to solve this problem. Set up the phone for tethering then connect both the calibre computer and the device to it. The traffic is internal so doesn't count against any data plan on the phone. It is best not to do any other internet stuff while tethered unless you have a very good data plan.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:26 AM   #18
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Just in case I wasn't clear: the "tethering" option discusses the FAQ I mentioned above is usually an easy way to solve this problem. Set up the phone for tethering then connect both the calibre computer and the device to it. The traffic is internal so doesn't count against any data plan on the phone. It is best not to do any other internet stuff while tethered unless you have a very good data plan.
Chaley, my Verizon has started charging me data for my tethered transfers - also on my mifi transfers. Didn't used to be that way. I remember turning on my mifi with no bars, no internet connection, yet CC connected fine to my computer. Not any longer, requires internet connection. Since I've changed nothing (knowingly) in my tablet or computer, I suspect Verizon did something. My recourse is to use the library for transferring and I've just bought a new ereader to download books via usb for those times I can't get to a free wireless connect.

I love cc and understand your reasons for not changing it to usb transfer, so I'm not advocating that. I just wanted to let folks know that something has changed with Verizon over the last 3 months that appears to be causing this for me.

Edit: I'm going to try some of the suggestions in http://cc_faq.multipie.co.uk/index.php?solution_id=1084 and see if I can overcome this problem.

Last edited by peaceridge; 04-21-2017 at 10:31 AM.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:19 PM   #19
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Chaley is it possible to transfer books using Bluetooth?

I have set up Connectify Hotspot. I hope this is easy to learn lol. Thanks so much for all the information and help.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:41 PM   #20
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
Chaley is it possible to transfer books using Bluetooth?

I have set up Connectify Hotspot. I hope this is easy to learn lol. Thanks so much for all the information and help.
A Bluetooth PAN should work, but I have never managed it with several tries.

It was many months ago that I set up Connectify. I don't remember there being any difficulties as long as there are no cabled networks involved. It created a default SSID (network name) and asked me for a password. I then could connect my device to that SSID and connect to calibre. Of course I could be remembering a sanitized version.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:44 PM   #21
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Connect kindle fire to pc with usb. Use calibre, not CC, send to device. No internet needed. Calibre will put the books in the correct place to show as books on the device. No need for bluetooth. I see this answer was already given back at #12, but overlooked ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:48 PM   #22
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Connect kindle fire to pc with usb. Use calibre, not CC, send to device. No internet needed. Calibre will put the books in the correct place to show as books on the device. No need for bluetooth. I see this answer was already given back at #12, but overlooked ?
And as I said before, this "solution" ensures that books do not show in CC. If a user is happy with that then fine. However, most CC users want to use CC as the device library manager, which means using the cable does not work for them. After all, why buy CC if a cabled connection does what the person wants?
Old 04-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #23
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This does not work if I want to manage my books using CC and read on Moon+Pro Reader. I hate the Kindle Reader app.

I personally would pay $100 for the Calibre Companion. It is worth far more than the little $3.99 charged.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #24
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
A Bluetooth PAN should work, but I have never managed it with several tries.

It was many months ago that I set up Connectify. I don't remember there being any difficulties as long as there are no cabled networks involved. It created a default SSID (network name) and asked me for a password. I then could connect my device to that SSID and connect to calibre. Of course I could be remembering a sanitized version.
Okay just wondering about Bluetooth. I know my computer has it and I know the Kindle has it. But I never use either.

As you have seen in the past I am a tech novice. So I might need to ask you some questions about Connectify.

Thanks so much for everything. You are wonderful!

Save
Old 04-21-2017, 03:04 PM   #25
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If the need is for a simple temporary solution when internet is down, then I still think cable kindle to pc. Calibre can send epub format for moon reader if that is your preference. Once internet is working again, go back to cc.

But your call. If you want to spend time on more complex techy workarounds for what may only be a few days outage then go for it
Or dig out the manual for that ATT router and it will probably give you a working LAN throughout, after a few tweaks
Old 04-21-2017, 03:38 PM   #26
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
If the need is for a simple temporary solution when internet is down, then I still think cable kindle to pc. Calibre can send epub format for moon reader if that is your preference. Once internet is working again, go back to cc.

But your call. If you want to spend time on more complex techy workarounds for what may only be a few days outage then go for it
Or dig out the manual for that ATT router and it will probably give you a working LAN throughout, after a few tweaks
If this worked with CC I would use it. But as stated it does not work with CC. Using CC is how I keep track of all books I have read. I could be without internet up to two weeks.

Sorry but this is not an option, even temporary for me.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:16 PM   #27
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
If this worked with CC I would use it. But as stated it does not work with CC. Using CC is how I keep track of all books I have read. I could be without internet up to two weeks.

Sorry but this is not an option, even temporary for me.
Best option for you would be turning you PC into a WiFi hotspot and then connecting your fire to it. In windows 10 the ability is built in.
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-tu...reless-hotspot
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:39 PM   #28
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Best option for you would be turning you PC into a WiFi hotspot and then connecting your fire to it. In windows 10 the ability is built in.
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-tu...reless-hotspot
I swear I see your little bug and I think something is crawling on my monitor. Then I attempt to kill it.

Thanks for the info but there is one thing not activated to make this work in Device Manager. And I cannot figure out how to make it work.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:07 AM   #29
stumped
Wizard

Quote:

Thanks for the info but there is one thing not activated to make this work in Device Manager. And I cannot figure out how to make it work.
name that thing and give the experts here a fighting chance
Old 04-22-2017, 11:33 AM   #30
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The WiFi connection (security?) keywords are:

AdHoc (allow 'peer', way less secure connections)
or
Infrastructure (Only allow connection to Access Point/Router)

KYbunnies

Contact your ISP/service provider. There is no good reason why lack of WAN (outside) connection should shut down your WiFi LAN (inside) use. Maybe the can suggest a router setting change
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote