Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 04-13-2017, 01:20 PM   #16
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
No, I did not change anything but I suspect the problem may be with the network or security setting on my Windows 10 PC.

The Connect Device toolbar never shows up. While CC shows connected and is trying to connect (little wheel spinning) there is no change in Calibre on the PC. It does not switch to main menu number 2 - that normally shows when a device is connected. Send to Device icon is not shown. I am going to try to connect on another PC or perhaps you have some suggestion as to what network/security setting I should change?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Haley View Post
Beyond what's in the FAQ, I don't have anything else to suggest. I've never seen a situation where Calibre's log shows a successful connection but where the user interface wouldn't update to give you the connected device options. This is perplexing!
Given what The Old Man said, calibre didn't connect. It is rare but not unheard of for an antivirus to allow the broadcast "Are you there" messages to get to calibre and to let calibre respond, but then to prevent actual connection attempt from CC. In this case CC will think it is connecting, wait a bit, then do a network timeout. Calibre will log a response to the "Are you there" but then do nothing because it doesn't receive the connection.

The only way to see this situation is to have both a CC and a calibre debug log for the same failing connection attempt.

I changed the CC FAQ for How do I get help? to add a specific link target for how to get a calibre debug log. Go to http://cc_faq.multipie.co.uk/index.p...ibre-debug-log
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:24 PM   #17
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
To all.... The problem is with my new HP PC. I connected with no problem to a laptop with my Mini 4. I suspect (and hope not a virus) that the problem lies in Network or Security settings. I looked at the settings on the laptop but thee are so many it may take me a week of Sunday's to discover which one needs correction on the HP - and what damage I may do as I fiddle with them :-(

In any case it apparently is not the fault of CC. Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I did learn a few things that I would not have known if the problem and not occurred. MobileRead is great!

If I do find what needed correction I will post it here.

Last edited by The Old Man; 04-13-2017 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Added text
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:49 PM   #18
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer
Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Variety phones/tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Given what The Old Man said, calibre didn't connect. It is rare but not unheard of for an antivirus to allow the broadcast "Are you there" messages to get to calibre and to let calibre respond, but then to prevent actual connection attempt from CC.
The weird part is that it got far further than just responding to the "Are you there?" broadcast. For example, here's an anonymised excerpt from the log:

Spoiler:
SMART_DEV ( 17.24: 0.015) _call_client GET_INITIALIZATION_INFO wfr True
SMART_DEV ( 17.41: 0.156) open Device can stream books True
SMART_DEV ( 17.41: 0.000) open Device can stream metadata True
SMART_DEV ( 17.42: 0.000) open Device can receive book binary True
SMART_DEV ( 17.44: 0.000) open Device can delete multiple books True
SMART_DEV ( 17.46: 0.000) open Device can use cached metadata True
SMART_DEV ( 17.46: 0.000) open Cache uses lpaths True
SMART_DEV ( 17.47: 0.000) open Can send OK to sendbook True
SMART_DEV ( 17.49: 0.000) open Can accept library info True
SMART_DEV ( 17.49: 0.000) open Will ask for update books True
SMART_DEV ( 17.50: 0.000) open Will set temp mark when syncing read False
SMART_DEV ( 17.52: 0.000) open Client device kind iPad
SMART_DEV ( 17.52: 0.000) open Client device name [redacted] Mini 4
SMART_DEV ( 17.53: 0.000) open Client app name CalibreCompanion
SMART_DEV ( 17.55: 0.000) open App version #: 128

It knows it's connected to CC (and the version it's connected to), as well as having the device's name. This means it definitely got further than just the initial broadcast since it has started the initial sync process.

Upon further examination I can see that it does report an error later on.

Spoiler:
SMART_DEV ( 142.34: 0.000) _receive_from_client protocol error -- empty json string
SMART_DEV ( 142.36: 0.000) _call_client other exception
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 615, in _call_client
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 657, in _receive_from_client
ControlError: Device responded with incorrect information

Quote:
In any case it apparently is not the fault of CC. Thank you all for your help and suggestions.
Anyway, I'm glad you got it working in the end even if you had to use another computer!
Steve_Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:20 PM   #19
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
To all.... The problem is with my new HP PC. I connected with no problem to a laptop with my Mini 4. I suspect (and hope not a virus) that the problem lies in Network or Security settings. I looked at the settings on the laptop but thee are so many it may take me a week of Sunday's to discover which one needs correction on the HP - and what damage I may do as I fiddle with them :-(

In any case it apparently is not the fault of CC. Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I did learn a few things that I would not have known if the problem and not occurred. MobileRead is great!

If I do find what needed correction I will post it here.
Check to see if the firewall is running, if so, try turning that off.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:07 AM   #20
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Haley View Post
Upon further examination I can see that it does report an error later on.

Spoiler:
SMART_DEV ( 142.34: 0.000) _receive_from_client protocol error -- empty json string
SMART_DEV ( 142.36: 0.000) _call_client other exception
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 615, in _call_client
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 657, in _receive_from_client
ControlError: Device responded with incorrect information
That is probably CC disconnecting. I made a mistake when I designed the protocol, not including an explicit disconnect sequence. Instead, one end or the other simply closes the socket. The connection partner sees that as a network error and then closes its side of the connection.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:12 AM   #21
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Both my Mini and Pro are working with CC.
On Windows 10 computer:
Open Control Panel.
Under Network and Internet choose View Network Status and Tasks.
On left side of screen choose Change Advanced Sharing Settings.
First button Turn On Network Discovery should be chosen.
At this point CC worked.
Now "Curiouser and Curiouser," said Alice. Went back and reset above. Rebooted computer. CC still worked. Nothing above may have anything to do with the problem but this is the most recent thing I tried and it got CC to working.
I will fiddle no longer. Everything works. Again, thanks.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote