Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Great Expectations Fulfilled! Next?

I finished "Great Expectations". Was not disappointed!

Now I'm trying to decide what to read next. All those Amazon samples are tempting--but I'm also thinking about trying "Middlemarch" again. I've tried several times over the years, but I've never been able to get past the 1st few pages. I've been told that "Middlemarch" is one of the greatest novels--or one of the greatest English novels--or one of the greatest English novels written on a Tuesday--or something like that

Any suggestions for a followup to Great Expectations?

Thanks,
R.L.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
According to What should I read next?, you might like these:

Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
West Side Story - Stephen Sondheim, Leonard Bernstein
The Prince - Niccolo Machiavelli
The Woodlanders - Thomas Hardy
Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy
The Big Sleep", "Farewell My Lovely", "the High Window" - Raymond Chandler
Water Babies - Charles Kingsley
The Red Badge of Courage - Stephen Crane
Measure for Measure - William Shakespeare
To the Lighthouse - Virginia Woolf

What aspects of "Great Expectations" tickled your fancy? Are you looking for something with the same tone, mood, time period?

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:31 AM   #3
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post
According to [URL="http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/books/search"]
Hi Dreamer, thanks for the url. I didn't know about that site.

Quote:
What aspects of "Great Expectations" tickled your fancy? Are you looking for something with the same tone, mood, time period?
Dreamer
A lot of it's time period--an interesting glimpse into a culture that seems so near and at the same time so far removed from ours.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
According to What should I read next?, you might like these:

Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
West Side Story - Stephen Sondheim, Leonard Bernstein
The Prince - Niccolo Machiavelli
The Woodlanders - Thomas Hardy
Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy
The Big Sleep", "Farewell My Lovely", "the High Window" - Raymond Chandler
Water Babies - Charles Kingsley
The Red Badge of Courage - Stephen Crane
Measure for Measure - William Shakespeare
To the Lighthouse - Virginia Woolf

Dreamer
Heavens! I entirely fail to see the slightest connection between "Great Expectations" and Virginia Woolf's "To the Lighthouse"!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:48 AM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Howabout another Dickens - Bleak House
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
Katiesue
Enthusiast
Katiesue is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook
I really liked "Great Expectations" - I loved "David Copperfield".

George Eliot books - I liked "Adam Bede" better than "Middlemarch" although I did really like "Middlemarch".

Maybe "The Way We Live Now" by Anthony Trollope.....

Gosh, I love all the 19th century British Lit...what great stuff!!!!
Katiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:31 PM   #7
rlparker
Ars longa

Thanks everyone for all the recommendations!

I've started Middlemarch, but it's slow going. I have to lookup an average of, oh, say a word per page. Of course, now that I'm reading on a Kindle, I don't mind. Do you know the word "pilulous"? Wasn't in my dictionary, wasn't in Wikipedia--had to go to a google search!

I might start a "word of the day" thread with all the new stuff I'm learning!
Old 10-06-2008, 05:41 PM   #8
Katiesue
Enthusiast
Katiesue is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook
Indeed.....no one could accuse George Eliot of having a limited vocabulary!
Katiesue is offline   Reply With Quote