Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #61
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
I think we need to change society first. A classic case can be found in race discrimination-a cop stopped a car with blacks for an infraction but ignored a car with whites that had the same infraction. The cop's reason? "I didn't notice the other car." That could be true-but in this case (as I recall) the cop had a lengthy history of 'not noticing' infractions by whites.

It's worse when the law explicitly leaves it to enforcers judgment when and against whom to enforce the law but the result is the same-we can't change the fact that laws will be enforced at capricious whim until society changes. Until then all we can do is try to get rid of laws that appear to be 'bad'.
Hmm... anyone of sufficient years would note that society has been changing.
Taking your example, it is just as likely that the "cop" would have himself
been black.

Your point is quite valid, of course. Enforcement, Prosecution, and Judicial
Review, all need to be applied with the interest of the overall society - while
remaining strictly to the law, as written. The law is supposed to be blind, in
terms of its application. It may have taken some time, but almost all of
society and all of the laws take the position that it is in the interest of society
for the laws to be applied equally to all. Your cop, Black or White, would
most likely be headed for hard times, in some fashion, from his fellow
officers, his union, his supervisors, if not the Feds would be interested in
the police force he works for.

"Capricious whim" is certainly bad, but there are other factors that worry me
more. Financial Gain, Political Gain, furtherance of an agenda, ect...
Using the Law to "pick winners and loosers", to "protect an industry", to
"benefit a select group", to promote Unionism, or encourage the public to
engage in or support any actions/activities that claim they provide a public
good. Pointing out all the recent examples would be taken as political, so
I would just point out that this has been going on since before we formed
this country.

Our legal system makes it so that anyone suffering damages can bring a
suit. We have passed too many laws that make it easier for some to do so,
in some cases with very loose requirements to show any actual damage.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #62
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
I free all my purchases and keep a backup for future use. However, unless I need that backup for a particular reason such as conversion to a new format for an incompatible device, I just stick to using the official Amazon version, protection and all, for day to day use. While it doesn't get in the way of my use, I ignore it. When it does get in the way, I've got my backup.
This is exactly what I do.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #63
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Hmm... anyone of sufficient years would note that society has been changing.
Taking your example, it is just as likely that the "cop" would have himself
been black.
Yes, I should probably have mentioned that discrimination is as likely to be practiced by minorities on 'themselves' as by others. IMO it's a cultural bias, not individual-and you're right that it is changing. Less quickly in law enforcement IMO, particularly small town law enforcement where all except egregious cases get little publicity. (In the case I remember it seems to me that one of the blacks was nationally known. A blogger, maybe? Wish I could remember more of the details. But that's why it got publicized.) And you're right, the cops do (sometimes) get into trouble over it-when it gets publicized. Too often senior cops are allowed to retire rather than being punished for wrongdoing-unless it's flagrantly criminal. As I said in the cited situation, the cop had a very believable excuse-the problem was the frequency with which that excuse was used. Discrimination which relies on a 'pattern' is much harder to prove than an individual case. It doesn't matter that 'everybody knows' it's discrimination-the problem is that 'everybody' doesn't care. Society mostly approves of discrimination-they just disapprove of publicity. Although the case I mentioned was racial there's also sexual-and that's even harder to prove. A case that I recall on that was a woman who felt threatened because her (male) boss wouldn't stop his male employees from congregating by the water cooler that was next to her desk. So she sued for sexual harassment. The men weren't doing anything, mostly they weren't even talking to her-but she felt threatened by their presence. How do you prove 'silent intimidation'? That's something cops need to be particularly aware of. There have been a few confessions thrown out because the 'perp' confessed before being given his Miranda warning. That wasn't due to interrogation, the court found that the 'perp' caved under the 'intimidating' presence of the cops. So it happens-but it can be very hard to prove whether the cops (or others) were actually trying to intimidate or whether the intimidation was self-generated. The same is true of discrimination-was the cop actually discriminating or were the victims feeling put upon simply because 'they got caught'?
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #64
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You may want to take this tangent to the P&R section.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:15 AM   #65
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You'd probably find it difficult to convince anyone that you simply hadn't got around to watching a recording after 5 years. As always, though, this is a legal provision which is vanishingly unlikely to land anyone in legal trouble. I've certainly never heard of anyone getting into trouble for home recording, even if it is technically illegal.
There was some question if Bell Canada would be allowed to offer the addition of external hard disks for additional storage once the ones built-in to their PVR's were full. (This seemed hard to justify if the original intention and approved purpose were simply for time shifting!)

These additional HD's are now widely available but do recognize that the format of the recordings is proprietary so you can't do much with it other than re-watch it on your own device.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #66
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
That said, an explicit change in the law would be most welcome.

Xenophon
I would love this. My 15-year old would no longer have anything to hold over my head!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #67
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Burn'em! I say BURN all those illegal ebooks....I say burn 'em.. May those who hath betrayed the law rot in Hell!!!
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #68
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Very true. I routinely strip the DRM on my PURCHASED books to correct and/or improve the formatting so they are easier on my eyes. I then use KindlePreviewer and SendToKindle to put the modified version in my Amazon Cloud so I can use Whispersync with them. Since I keep the books in my library only, and never give them to others, I don't have a guilty conscious at all.
I also strip the DRM, and fix various issues (like one I bought last night that had a couple of letters transposed in the author's first name). I just tried the trick you mentioned above and it came across with a generic cover that says Personal Document with the title. Is that normal or did I miss something? I'd be interested to convert many of my legally purchased EPUB's to Kindle format this way, but I'd like them to show actual covers.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #69
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
I also strip the DRM, and fix various issues (like one I bought last night that had a couple of letters transposed in the author's first name). I just tried the trick you mentioned above and it came across with a generic cover that says Personal Document with the title. Is that normal or did I miss something? I'd be interested to convert many of my legally purchased EPUB's to Kindle format this way, but I'd like them to show actual covers.
I think it may have to do with the following message in the kindlegen output:
Info(prcgen):I1052: Kindle support cover images but does not support cover HTML. Hence using the cover image specified and suppressing cover HTML in content. URL: C:\Users\hwlester\AppData\Local\Temp\mbp_7DD_5_10_ 15_1E_2B_37_16A4_1AC_1\OEBPS\1-cover.xhtml

I added '<reference href="cover.jpg" title="cover" type="cover"/>' in the guide section of the OPF file since it didn't have one, but that didn't seem to help. I suspect some tweaking of the EPUB will produce a cover image on the personal document, but would like for someone who does this to confirm since I'm new to the Kindle.

Last edited by hwlester; 05-16-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:58 PM   #70
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
I think it may have to do with the following message in the kindlegen output:
Info(prcgen):I1052: Kindle support cover images but does not support cover HTML. Hence using the cover image specified and suppressing cover HTML in content. URL: C:\Users\hwlester\AppData\Local\Temp\mbp_7DD_5_10_ 15_1E_2B_37_16A4_1AC_1\OEBPS\1-cover.xhtml

I added '<reference href="cover.jpg" title="cover" type="cover"/>' in the guide section of the OPF file since it didn't have one, but that didn't seem to help. I suspect some tweaking of the EPUB will produce a cover image on the personal document, but would like for someone who does this to confirm since I'm new to the Kindle.
Not sure what format you are going for here HTML, Epub, or one of the
Kindle formats.

I have used calibre to turn personal text files into epub ebooks with covers
I created in Gimp2. The Metadata editor in calibre allows you to add your
own cover as well.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #71
hwlester
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Not sure what format you are going for here HTML, Epub, or one of the
Kindle formats.

I have used calibre to turn personal text files into epub ebooks with covers
I created in Gimp2. The Metadata editor in calibre allows you to add your
own cover as well.

Luck;
Ken
Using Kindlegen/Kindle Previewer to convert EPUB to Mobi/KF8. Viewing the resulting book on Kindle for PC shows a cover thumbnail in the list of books and the cover is in the book (and Go To Cover works in Kindle Previewer), but when I sent the content using personal documents, it shows up on Manage Your Kindle with a generic/black cover and on my Kindle Touch it shows up with a generic cover with the title printed on a "Personal Document" cover. I suspect if I sideloaded the book using USB. I'd see the actual cover as well, but haven't tried that. I just wanted to ask someone who had more experience with Personal Documents that I do. I didn't mean to hijack the conversation.

Edit: On my Kindle for Android app, I also saw a generic cover, but as soon as I downloaded it, the real cover thumbnail showed up.

Last edited by hwlester; 05-17-2013 at 12:25 PM.