Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
If brightness poses problem to her, for further reduction of brightness she should use native iBooks reader (for reading epubs and pdf's) because other apps are just faking brightness reduction by dimming the colors or do not have brightness controls at all.
I know that Marvin is not a consideration because it does not support DRM. But I did ask the author and he said that Marvin does dim by turning down the screen and not the colors. Please, don't make general assumptions like you did that is very wrong.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #17
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know that Marvin is not a consideration because it does not support DRM. But I did ask the author and he said that Marvin does dim by turning down the screen and not the colors. Please, don't make general assumptions like you did that is very wrong.
As i mentioned, i wasn't able to use marvin on iOS 4.3 as yet, but yesterday i have tried it on iPad1 with 5.1 and there are number of epub/pdf readers which seem to use system brightness control and not just color dimming.

Besides Marvin i found it in PerfectReader 2 Lite for pdf's.

In Foxit pdf reader also, but its lowest brightness is still to bright for my taste (for 1-2 hour reading in low-lighted room) i.e not as dark as in marvin, perfect reader 2 or iBooks.

But it is not such a big problem because there is not even need for night-mode as long as there are some cool sunglasses around

For reading in the sun on iPad1, good anti-glare screen protector is must-have and some sunshade is more than welcome also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiV2FaPw44c

I've got several home-made cardboard sunshades and brightness is usually on about 50 % for pleasant reading in the sun, whereas without sunshade and anti-glare protector even 100% brightness is not as good.

Last edited by markom; 04-09-2013 at 12:45 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The sunshade does not look very cool and it is not stylish.

I do think they should have taken some shots of the screen with the shade on and in the sun.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-09-2013 at 07:11 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #19
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The sunshade does not look very cool and it is not stylish.

I do think they should have taken some shots of the screen with the shade on and in the sun.
As cool as it gets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6f8c6sd_AA
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #20
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I hate to say it, but that cardboard sunshade is the dorkiest looking add-on I've ever seen. I imaging it would attract quite a few stares in used in public.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sunhood for iPad.PNG
Views:	255
Size:	501.5 KB
ID:	104210   Click image for larger version

Name:	sunhood for iPad 2.PNG
Views:	262
Size:	566.2 KB
ID:	104212  

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-11-2013 at 08:23 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #21
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
I never seriously considered an Ipad until I saw the 64GB 1st gen models going for $200 used. If bought one, I would use it for reading ebooks, watching videos, and surfing the net. 90% of the content would come from my (DRM-free) many-hard-disk-library.

The reasons I did not go with an IPAD when it first came out were:
(1) Proprietary Apple stuff never works as well as open stuff.
(2) The lack of a file-system browser.
(3) An XP tablet was about the same price as an IPAD.
(4) The lack of a changable battery.
(5) The lack of any card slot whatsoever. (I played with an IPAD once, and after 12 hours could not get 3 books to copy onto its internal memory.)

Has any of this changed?

Question: Is it legal to jail-break an IPAD in the USA?
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #22
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledelectron View Post

The reasons I did not go with an IPAD when it first came out were:
(5) The lack of any card slot whatsoever. (I played with an IPAD once, and after 12 hours could not get 3 books to copy onto its internal memory.)

Has any of this changed?
1) to each his own... I find the Apple stuff works better or just as well compared to Android, which I went into with an open mind, and now I have a Nexus 7 I never use.

2) I believe there are solutions to that. Can't speak to them as I have not used any.

3) XP tablet? No thanks.

4) iPad battery life is incredible, and I have never had a problem with it wearing out. I let it fully drain once a month.

5) hasn't been too much of an issue for me with cloud storage and the Filebrowser app that let's me grab files off my networked computers.

Of course the best reason to get an iPad, for anyone who reads, is: Marvin. The best darn ereader on the planet.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #23
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Dunno about that. Really digging the ease of use of the new Lightning cable.

Quote:
Jailbreak. If not comfortable jailbreaking, there are kinda some cloud-based workarounds (e.g. Dropbox, etc).

Quote:
I started with an XP tablet. Way too heavy, battery life too short, unresponsive touchscreen, runs hot. Used it for about a month (that's when the novelty wore off).

Quote:
If this means I get 10 hours of continuous battery life instead of 2-3 hours per charge, then by all means, give me a device with non-user replaceable battery.

Quote:
While I do bemoan the lack of expansion slot, this is something I've never really had a problem with. Then again, I've been using an iPhone since before there was an App Store so I'm used to the idiosyncrasies related to file transfers. That said, even when Stanza was first released, it only took a quick Google search to give me a couple of methods to transfer my ebooks (back then, I was buying LIT since DeDRM tools for other platforms weren't prevalent) to Stanza. Given the various options now available, I really don't know why even after 12 hours, you haven't been able to copy books to your ebook reader app of choice on the iPad.

Quote:
Question: Is it legal to jail-break an IPAD in the USA?
As of right now, I think it's ruled as illegal. Who knows if/when that'll change.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #24
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
As of right now, I think it's ruled as illegal. Who knows if/when that'll change.
There was a thread here somewhere that said the Library of Congress declared it was illegal...and that they actually had the authority to do that....WUT?!?!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebooks, ipad, kindle, overdrive