Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-12-2012, 03:35 AM   #1
nuggler
nuggler began at the beginning.

Device: None
Amazon Kindle Touch or Sony PRS-T1?

Hi all, long-time lurker and first-time poster here. I'm having some trouble choosing between the Amazon Kindle Touch and the Sony PRS-T1. I understand that new models of both designs will be released soon, but both of these already do what I need and the rumors surrounding the new designs don't appeal to me.

That being said, these are the reasons that I have both for and against both readers. I am on a complete 50-50 tie between the two, so it's down to you guys, if you'll give me a hand!

Amazon Kindle Touch: I like Whispersync. I already use Whispersync so that I can read between my iPad and my smart phone without having to find the page again, and I love that I'm able to download any book whenever from the Amazon cloud. I'm a long-time Amazon customer and though I know that I can reconvert and strip books purchased from Amazon, I a. am not sure of the legality of DRM-removal in my country (Australia) and b. really enjoy the ease of d/ling straight from Amazon to a device without bothering with that.

Sony PRS-T1: I love the look and feel of this device. I've played with a demo model of the Sony and a friend's KT, and I prefer the demo options for margins, fonts and spacing on the T1 far more than the spacing, font and margins on the KT. I prefer the black bezel (even though it shines a lot under store lights), I prefer the row of buttons along the bottom, and I prefer how small and compact the device is compared to the KT. I prefer the menu displays and the way that it shows the book cover.

It seems to me that, logically, I should be getting the KT because it does what I need and it does it well, however I'm concerned that if I get the KT, I will constantly be thinking of how much I would prefer to hold and read a T1 instead. Has anybody ever had a situation like this, and did you regret going for the more functional (KT) over the more aesthetic (T1)?
nuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I have both, and really enjoy both. I use my Kindle for all amazon purchases and the T1 for everything else. In your case, I would go with the Kindle. The ease of use (whispersync etc) easily outplays aesthetic preference, IMO.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
nuggler

Thanks for the input - that's my first impression of it, too. I guess that I'm just worried that I'll be displeased with the reading experience on th Kindle compared to the Sony. (Mind you, any e-ink at all is going to be fabulous compared to the LCD screens that I'm used to.)
Old 08-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #4
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
hey if you wish to root the kindle touch,then you can get jbpatch and duokan which allows you more margins setting,more font choices,pdf reflow,epub support,hyphenation and much more.if you dont want duokan then the alternatives are
1.for epub support:hacked up reader
2.for more font choices:https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=530
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #5
nuggler

I'm not interested, thank you for your ad, though.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I have both too. And I like both. BUT once you get one & get used to it you will like whichever you get. I have to say the shopping experience with the KT is very nice. And reading with it is just fine. Since you are a long time Amazon customer I say go with the KT. I don't think you will regret it.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
nuggler

Thank you. at this stage I probably will go with the Kindle, since you've all said to do so- I mean, it does have the same screen as the Sony. I'm sure I'll get used to it, as you say.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have 3 Sony's and I bought my mother a kindle keyboard.I have no experience with the kindle Touch.

The Sony's are much better for organising and finding books. No random hopping around of collection order, B is after A and before C.

The reading experience is much the same although if given a choice I would take the T1. Recognizes custom fonts and styles where the kindle does not seem to. More of an epub VS mobi thing. And of course most libraries have epub.

I don't care about Whispersync as I can generally find my place in a book in under 30 seconds, but can understand it's appeal. Perhaps if I am on a bus and want to read the book I was reading at home and it is not on that device, but 3G is not available where I live and the chances that I would connect though wifi hotspot long enough to actually whispersync anything are a bit slim.

Still I got the kindle for my mother who is 87 and lives 2000 miles away so I could get her books and have them directly sent or email them to her. She loves it, but last year I let her try my Sony 350 and now she wants a Sony. Oh well.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Calibre works MUCH better with a T1 then a Kindle Touch. With the T1, you can have Caibre put books on the T1 and in Collections. You cannot do that with a Kindle Touch.

The T1 supports multiple fonts. The Kindle Touch doesn't unless it's some embedded font in KF8 in which case you get a LARGE line space because it's a bug that Amazon seems not to want to fix.

Yes, the Kindle Touch has large line spacing for KF8 (AZW3) eBooks. So a lot of the new eBooks will be downloaded as KF8 and you'll have this line spacing that's just not that nice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #10
nuggler

And now I'm back to square one! Thanks for the pro-Sony answers, I appreciate it. I guess I have a lot more thinking to do. (And I should explore Calibre a bit to see if I get along with it!)
Old 08-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #11
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Truth is, if you use the Amazon ecosystem, then go with the Kindle - that is its biggest advantage. If you get books on the side, then it is a harder choice. Yes, Calibre works slightly better with the T1... but I don't see a big difference.

Some observations on less-discussed features:

1) For magazines and periodicals, the T1 is flawed. If you plan on subscribing, auto-delivery does not work - and that might tip the scales towards the KT. The KT has a 3g option, that could be useful in that context. I prefer the KT when it comes to periodicals and newspapers. It has more options as well, in that context.

2) If you are considering covers with lights, note that the KT cover has an intelligent design (powers form the device, no need for external batteries) but it is expensive and the positioning of the light can be very annoying when reading in bed (tends to 'shine in your eyes'). T1 wins the lighted cover battle.

3) Neither is great for annotations, but the T1 has a slight edge, given the stylus.

4) Lack of page-turn buttons can be an issue. I find that there are many instances where I would rather not touch the screen - and it becomes an issue with the KT.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I chose the Sony T1 over the Kindle touch for the page turn buttons and the SD card slot. I also like the Handwriting app, open it and you can write yourself a note with the stylus. You can also make notes right on the screen of a book with the stylus, or underline or circle a word. I thought it was a good option. I was considering a Kindle Touch, again, but instead ordered a second T1. My black one is rooted, the new one won't be.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Isn't the T2 supposed to come out this week? And a new kindle is in the works for sure, and it is hard to come by the default, the Touch, right now. It would be better to just wait awhile for either choice.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #14
nuggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Isn't the T2 supposed to come out this week? And a new kindle is in the works for sure, and it is hard to come by the default, the Touch, right now. It would be better to just wait awhile for either choice.
You must have missed the bit where I said I wasn't interested... In my opening paragraph...

Usually in a forum, you read before you reply.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #15
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Going purely on what you've said in your OP:

I'm not sure there's much in your preference for how small and compact the T1 is over the KT - the latter is a bit heavier but they are the same width and there's just 10mm of a difference in length?

In terms of reading experience they will be very similar, except the T1 has the option of page turn buttons (even if they aren't as well placed as the side buttons on older Kindles). Things like the menus, pictures for book covers etc are pretty minimal, as you'll spend far more time reading than picking a book from the menu (incidentally, I like the covers too, but when it comes down to it, I find I prefer being able to see more of my books listed as they are just as the titles on the Kindle).

I'd second what vxf says about if you already use and enjoy the Amazon ecosystem you'd be as well sticking with that, however, it sounds like you really would prefer the PRS-T1.

Really what it comes down to is which is more important to you, the ease of buying and downloading books onto your ereader, or how your ereader looks and feels.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote