Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Sunrise

Notices

Old 02-14-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
JamesA
JamesA began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX
SunsriseXP in Vista

Does anyone know if it's possible to get SunriseXP working in Vista? Or if a compatible version will be released?

JamesA
Old 04-10-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
davethemann
davethemann began at the beginning.

Device: T5
It works no problem, but for me Palm Desktop has so many issues that I've decided to go back to XP...
Hotsync problems, lack of printer drivers & the overall "laggy" feeling of the Vista interface have driven me back to tried & true XP, for the time being at least...
Old 04-10-2007, 02:01 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hey, that's great news about it working in Vista! I was wondering about that. And if I have to copy the files another way, such as file move directly to the SD card, that's okay by me as a workaround.

I'm quite dependent on Sunrise now for newspaper reading. I don't read the paper most days, but I'd like to, and when I do, it always via Sunrise(w/Plucker). It's an awesome program!
Old 04-11-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
Dick Tracy
Detective
Dick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Palm TX
Good to know this. I'm planning to wait a while before I touch Vista.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Good to know it works! I was somewhat anxious about compatibility, since Vista is supposedly more restrictive in how applications can use OS services. (I don't have Vista myself and am not planning plan on installing it either, at least not on my current rig. In fact, my only experience with Vista is limited to playing around with it on some in-store demo laptops.)
Old 05-23-2007, 01:22 AM   #6
davethemann

Having been given a "free" Vista license at school, I've been giving the OS another shot - again, no problems with Sunrise. There's a few bugs left with Palm Desktop, but they are workable with a little persistance. Overall, if you've got a computer that already has Vista, then you can make it work with your Palm and Sunrise, otherwise I'd suggest sticking with XP until you feel Vista will make your life much better for reasons other than Palm/Sunrise usage.

Last edited by davethemann; 05-23-2007 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 06-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #7
doogie68
Connoisseur
doogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it is

Device: TX
I just got a new computer with Vista Home Premium and I can state that overall the program is working great, especially since the new computer has so much more RAM and processing power than the ancient XP computer it replaced (which sometimes froze up in Sunrise XP for this reason). I DID have a small hiccup when I tried to initially install Sunrise XP-- Vista stated that the program was not compatible with Vista. Trying an install the second time worked just fine, however, so if you hit a snag like this, keep trying.

I DO have one problem however, and that is that Sunrise is not reading my cookies from Vista's Internet Explorer 7. I did use IE to register my cookies with the web site in question (NY Times), so they should be active. I'm wondering if my cookies are in a different location on this machine and Sunrise isn't finding them. I don't believe we can direct Sunrise XP to a specific cookies folder, can we? Laurens, any thoughts?

By the way, for anyone thinking about going to a Vista machine (or upgrading from XP), RAM is your friend. I have 2 GB and it's working great. I've heard 1 GB is acceptable. A friend with 512 MB is struggling. Adequate RAM will address the "Vista lag" I've heard others complain about.

Last edited by doogie68; 06-04-2007 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Additional suggestion
Old 06-09-2007, 02:44 AM   #8
davethemann

I've now gone to the "minimum recommended" spec of 1gb RAM, and I can honestly say it's only marginally faster. I really want to love and embrace the OS, but I just can't.
As far as cookies go, I decided BBC was more comprehensive (read, less 'America!-centric') than NY Times, but I'll check if my old NYT account works in XP, and re-try it with Vista / IE7...
Old 06-17-2007, 11:39 AM   #9
doogie68
Connoisseur
doogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it is

Anybody else get any ideas about my problem with the cookies not registering in Vista? Laurens, I know you're not actively doing any work on Sunrise XP but would there be some way to direct the program to the location of the cookies?
Old 06-17-2007, 04:20 PM   #10
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Sunrise XP uses the standard Windows internet functionality, which should take care of cookie handling automatically. This could have changed in Vista, maybe due to tighter security. There's no way to manually add or otherwise configure cookies.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:58 PM   #11
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Just got a new laptop with Vista. Might get round to investigating the cookie issue.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:12 AM   #12
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Just tried NYT on the Vista laptop and it's sending the cookies alright.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:52 PM   #13
doogie68
Connoisseur

Actually, my setup of Sunrise on my Vista computer has been really problematic the last several days; it runs inordinately slowly (takes many hours to do what it previously did in 15 minutes). I'm not sure what exactly is going on. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and it didn't help things. Document rendering takes forever. Might be something unrelated to Sunrise...
Old 02-03-2008, 10:31 AM   #14
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Did anyone solve the cookie problem? I can't find any way to get Vista/IE7/SunriseXP to send cookies for the sample NYTimes definitions. (I'm slowly moving all my apps to Vista. )

I was hoping it was either my firewall or a matter of installing SunriseXP as admin but using it as a regular user, but those don't seem to be the problem. On the other hand I keep looking at it because I wonder if I'm missing something or a directory authority or something.

Anyone have any ideas? SunriseXP is still a great program without cookies, but I sure would like to be able to read the NYTimes...
Old 02-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #15
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Did anyone solve the cookie problem? I can't find any way to get Vista/IE7/SunriseXP to send cookies for the sample NYTimes definitions.
Sunrise XP has nothing to do with it. That's a Windows networking function.

Quote:
(I'm slowly moving all my apps to Vista. )
Do I want to ask why? (I'm moving to Vista when my arm is twisted behind my back and a gun is pointed at my head, and not before. XP Pro works fine, and Vista adds nothing I need.)

Quote:
I was hoping it was either my firewall or a matter of installing SunriseXP as admin but using it as a regular user, but those don't seem to be the problem. On the other hand I keep looking at it because I wonder if I'm missing something or a directory authority or something.
You may need to set sunrise XP to Run As Admin, if you haven't already.

Quote:
Anyone have any ideas? SunriseXP is still a great program without cookies, but I sure would like to be able to read the NYTimes...
What happens if you use Firefox as your default browser? (The only thing IE7 is used for here is occasional visits to the Windows Update site.)
______
Dennis