Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 07:31 AM   #1
AxAx
AxAx began at the beginning.

Device: kindle last gen
Charging Kindle via 220 Volt plug

Hello, I have this kindle(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DZ1Y8Q) and I will be going to europe soon. Can I charge my kindle from 220volt AC plug? do I need a converter or transformer to drop the voltage down?
AxAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, you don't need a voltage converter; the Kindle's USB charger will happily work from the European 230v mains power. All you'll need is a plug adapter.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All you'll need is a plug adapter.
Harry is 100% correct. I have taken devices from the US and gone overseas and the adapters take care of all the voltage conversions and they also have the plugs to fit the outlets that you find overseas.

Keep in mind that the outlets are different in some countries...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Another thing to consider when getting adapter plugs - some countries or inns use what I'd call recessed sockets - so that some of the adapter plugs are too large/wide to fit into the recess - find a set with small diameter plugs.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Another option - and one which might well be just as cheap - would be to buy a USB charger in whatever country it is you're visiting.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
AxAx

so I just plug this(http://www.amazon.com/American-Europ.../dp/B0012S304W) into the outlet and than plug my adapter to it?

Last edited by AxAx; 01-16-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxAx View Post
so I just plug this(http://www.amazon.com/American-Europ.../dp/B0012S304W) into the outlet and than plug my adapter to it?

and about buying an usb charger, I'm not sure I can trust a random usb charger, to charge my precious device
You can, the kindle 3 is far more adaptable than the kindle 2 was.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #8
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
The Kindle will happily accept input from virtually any USB charger -- including those 12volt varieties you plug into a car cigarette lighter, no problem.
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #9
AxAx

I still do not want to put too much strain on its internal regulation. At least not yet, I just got it few days ago.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

and about buying an usb charger, I'm not sure I can trust a random usb charger, to charge my precious device
That certainly is the size that would fit into recessed sockets.

BUT, as mentioned above somewhere - different countries or areas of Western Europe have different sockets. The **SET** I have has plugs labeled more or less "Northern Europe" and "Southern Europe" and since it has been two years, I don't recall if Germany and/or Austria and/or Italy varied but I believe two of those countries used DIFFERENT plugs.

And I/we were always shuffling usb adapters since my Blackberry used a micro and my camera, gps used the minis. Enough wiring and adapters and electronics to phase airport security but strange as it seems, it never triggered any hand inspections at that time. Hiking poles and carabiners were in checked. The titanium hip was hand inspected and groped!
Old 01-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #11
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
I still do not want to put too much strain on its internal regulation. At least not yet, I just got it few days ago.
The charger does the voltage regulation. Not the Kindle. The Kindle only wants 5V and the charger is what provides this.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #12
FF2
Wizard

I'm a bit curious now about adapter plugs for "over there"

Any Europeans in this thread that can explain/expand on the size/shape of adapters/sockets. Going to the web and searching, I'm generally only finding one-size/shape. Is this now true?
Old 01-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #13
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Any Europeans in this thread that can explain/expand on the size/shape of adapters/sockets. Going to the web and searching, I'm generally only finding one-size/shape. Is this now true?
The basic European plug is something that has two pins and the pins are cylindrical in shape. The variation is how the ground connection is done. Some have it as another pin in the middle of the existing two. Some have it as a pin thats offset from the existing two pins. Some have it as a socket on the plug and the ground pin is actually on the wall. Some have it as a metal strip that runs along the top and bottom side of the plug that touches the a contact in the socket.

Everybody uses something similar to that two rounded pin design in Europe except for a handful of countries and thats the UK or have/had substantial ties to the UK. They use a plug that has rectangular pins and you always get the ground pin and a fuse. The UK plug is a good design but the drawbacks are that its pretty big and its like a caltrop if you leave a cable lying around on the floor. I've trodden on a few over the years and its always painful.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:57 AM   #14
AxAx

Thanks alot everyone for info. Yet I'm still bit confused.

I just arrived and plug looks like this

I bough this today. The local store I bough that black thing said, if my device was dual voltage it should work fine.

and ofc I have this

So I just plug that black thing to wall than plug my kindle adapter to that black thingy right?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:04 AM   #15
RexGalore
Connoisseur
RexGalore doesn't litterRexGalore doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Thanks alot everyone for info. Yet I'm still bit confused.

I just arrived and plug looks like this

I bough this today. The local store I bough that black thing said, if my device was dual voltage it should work fine.

and ofc I have this

So I just plug that black thing to wall than plug my kindle adapter to that black thingy right?
Right you are! It's as easy as that!
RexGalore is offline   Reply With Quote