Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-23-2021, 02:03 PM   #1
neutral
neutral began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Serial jailbreak on 5.13.4?

Hey all,

I've successfully run the jb.sh script on my PW3 after disabling the root password via serial. It said "*jailbreak*" at the bottom of the screen and everything. From here however, I have been unable to run any of the KUAL/mrpi/you name it installers in any form that I've found. The ";log mrpi" search trick does nothing, any updates I drop into /mnt/us get deleted on volume eject... Is there no way to move forward with the jailbreak on this firmware? It seems so strange that I have full write access to the filesystem but I don't actually have control.

Thanks,
Jeremy
neutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:34 PM   #2
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Reboot the device after **** JAILBREAK ****
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2021, 02:51 PM   #3
neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Reboot the device after **** JAILBREAK ****
I did. Still no dice.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:44 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The serial jb script is horribly outdated. (And when it isn't, it only copies the key allowing you to run an up-to-date hotfix).

TL;DR: You'll have to install the hotfix (then reboot again).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:48 PM   #5
neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The serial jb script is horribly outdated. (And when it isn't, it only copies the key allowing you to run an up-to-date hotfix).

TL;DR: You'll have to install the hotfix (then reboot again).
When you say hotfix, you mean the "Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.16.N_install.bin"? Because this file gets deleted by the kindle as soon as I eject it from my computer
Advert
Old 02-23-2021, 04:54 PM   #6
neutral

oh damn. I manually ran `/mnt/us/extensions/MRInstaller/bin/mrinstaller.sh launch_installer` from the serial console and it appears to have actually installed the KUAL update I had sitting in mrpackages. Should I install the Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.16.N_install.bin using this method as well?
Old 02-23-2021, 05:45 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope, use the bridge. (hotfix is for UYK, bridge is for MRPI; both are the exact same thing, just packaged differently).
Old 02-23-2021, 06:07 PM   #8
neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Nope, use the bridge. (hotfix is for UYK, bridge is for MRPI; both are the exact same thing, just packaged differently).
Welp. Patience was never my strong suit so I installed the .bin through mrinstaller and it worked. Got KUAL and KOReader installed! What a journey. I wish I had a blog so I could share all the issues I ran into and the things I was confused about. So many posts saying that 5.13.4 is not able to be jailbroken etc.

Which file is this bridge you speak of? I'm curious how I was "supposed" to perform the hack.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:40 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!

For a serial JB, you can essentially repurpose the emergency-bridge-recovery.zip package from the JailBreak snapshot.

Unzip it to /mnt/us, and then run sh /mnt/us/RUNME.sh.

Reboot, then install the full bridge (either the bridge .bin via MRPI; or the hotfix .bin via UYK).

Finally, reboot again .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-25-2021 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:12 PM   #10
li320505898
li320505898 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
Hey all,

I've successfully run the jb.sh script on my PW3 after disabling the root password via serial. It said "*jailbreak*" at the bottom of the screen and everything. From here however, I have been unable to run any of the KUAL/mrpi/you name it installers in any form that I've found. The ";log mrpi" search trick does nothing, any updates I drop into /mnt/us get deleted on volume eject... Is there no way to move forward with the jailbreak on this firmware? It seems so strange that I have full write access to the filesystem but I don't actually have control.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Hello!
I strongly recommend you to share your total procedure on blog. I am a kp3er and my device is 5.13.4 too. I tried many ways to jailbreak but failed.
Or could you share it with me by email? My email address is 320505898@qq.com/884677473@qq.com
li320505898 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
serial jailbreak