Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-22-2021, 05:55 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I have a KK3, and have used a Basic and PW3, there is no comparison. The Basic compared to PW3 is like reading poor pulp magazine rather than decently printed HB or PB.
You need to use both to notice the difference. If all you are used to is 167 DPI, you'll think it is sharp. Once you compare it to a 265 or 300 DPI screen, your opinion will change.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:41 AM   #17
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, 800x600 and after using the H2O, there is no way I would go back to such a low resolution.

The Nia is 1024x758 and the Clara HD is 300DPI.

US prices...

The Kindle basic is $109.99. The Clara HD is $119.99. The Nia is $99.99.

IMHO, of the three, the Clara HD is the best value.
Prices without ad are definitely not for Amazon advantage. And, unless waterproof is needed, at this range I also agree that, for me, the Clara HD is the best value.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2021, 02:18 PM   #18
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You need to use both to notice the difference. If all you are used to is 167 DPI, you'll think it is sharp. Once you compare it to a 265 or 300 DPI screen, your opinion will change.
I have a Kindle 2. The screen is good enough to read on, no doubt, but I never thought it was sharp. Even before the newer models were developed I longed for higher PPI when using my Kindle 2 - and the support for other languages.

If I were to buy a basic model now, I'd probably choose one of the Kobos.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:05 PM   #19
hollowpoint
Groupie
hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Mini, Kindle PW5, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ng76 View Post
Thanks everyone for your advice. I looked over all the suggested options, and decided to go with the Kobo Libra H20. It's a bit pricier, but I decided I was willing to pay to have physical buttons.
Good call, congrats and hope you enjoy your Kobo!
hollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:06 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
Prices without ad are definitely not for Amazon advantage. And, unless waterproof is needed, at this range I also agree that, for me, the Clara HD is the best value.
I'll disagree an dgo with the Libra as a good value. The 7" screen is what makes it so as it is the best Reader with a 7" screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2021, 03:19 PM   #21
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wouldn't say the Libra is the best 7" reader... Not when I also own a Kindle Oasis 3 that has better buttons, a better screen, better contrast, front light uniformity, handles the automatic warm setting in a better way than Kobo and is a lot faster and reactive.
The Kobo Libra H2O, is a cheaper alternative, with concessions on the overall quality.

But to each their own.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:08 AM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Nothing wrong with Kobo Libra quality, but a later PW4 had faulty battery and Amazon wouldn't replace.

Also the Calibre integration and on device Collections and Series works far better than any Amazon reader.

Screen on my Libra is better than PW3 or PW4. Nothing wrong with the lighting either. There is no doubt the Libra is cheaper, but it's well made and the battery can be replaced. Can you even open an Oasis?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:27 AM   #23
Almamida
Guru

Nothing wrong but nothing exceptional. I’m just reacting to JSWolf statement and it’s definitely not the best 7” reader. I’m not saying it’s a bad one neither.

My PW4 is more reactive than my Libra, more precise to highlight/ select words, has deeper blacks and a more even front light.

The Libra is an overall good enough reader, has a good battery life and a better integration with Calibre, but misses on the build quality / performance for a 2019 device.

And, I wouldn’t open my Oasis as much as I wouldn’t open my Libra. They both aren’t meant to be open.

And as I ended, to each their own.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:43 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
Nothing wrong but nothing exceptional. I’m just reacting to JSWolf statement and it’s definitely not the best 7” reader. I’m not saying it’s a bad one neither.

My PW4 is more reactive than my Libra, more precise to highlight/ select words, has deeper blacks and a more even front light.

The Libra is an overall good enough reader, has a good battery life and a better integration with Calibre, but misses on the build quality / performance for a 2019 device.

And, I wouldn’t open my Oasis as much as I wouldn’t open my Libra. They both aren’t meant to be open.

And as I ended, to each their own.
The PW3's screen is better then the PW4. The PW3 is sharper and clearer. The Libra is also better then the PW4. I'm thinking that making the screen flush has moved one of the layers higher up and that's causing the screen to be less sharp and clear.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:07 PM   #25
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The PW3's screen is better then the PW4. The PW3 is sharper and clearer. The Libra is also better then the PW4. I'm thinking that making the screen flush has moved one of the layers higher up and that's causing the screen to be less sharp and clear.
But the Oasis is not less sharp than the Libra, despite its flush screen. So that's probably not the only explanation.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:19 PM   #26
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
But the Oasis is not less sharp than the Libra, despite its flush screen. So that's probably not the only explanation.
It's not even an explanation.

He makes things up.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 02:05 PM   #27
rsmerritt
rsmerritt began at the beginning.

Device: Android (multiple)
Hi, After reading the posting for this topic, I have a slightly different set of needs and am looking for a reader. I have been looking at the Onyx Note Air but not much is posted about it. I did read the article evaluating this device.

Basically, I need a "vendor" independent reader (no Kindle or Kobo) that has good software support and not force sync with their online service. Great Calibre integeration and if the OS is Android, runs Calibre Companion. I would prefer a 9-10 inch screen as the tablet I am replacing is 9.6. Memory needs to be at least 32gb and an SD card would be nice. I want to download all of libraries and be able to use a couple of ereader apps, mostly because ereaders don't subscribe to multiple, independent libraries. They seem to assume one only needs a single library.

I look forward to hearing folks input.
rsmerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 02:45 PM   #28
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'd caution you on the requirement to use Calibre Companion in that the developer seems to have disappeared
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:44 PM   #29
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmerritt View Post
Basically, I need a "vendor" independent reader (no Kindle or Kobo) that has good software support and not force sync with their online service. Great Calibre integeration and if the OS is Android, runs Calibre Companion. I would prefer a 9-10 inch screen as the tablet I am replacing is 9.6. Memory needs to be at least 32gb and an SD card would be nice. I want to download all of libraries and be able to use a couple of ereader apps, mostly because ereaders don't subscribe to multiple, independent libraries. They seem to assume one only needs a single library.
Likebook devices have Android 8.1
P10 has 10 inch 1600 * 1200 - 200 ppi - glass, 2/64 GB, Quad Core CPU 1.5 Ghz and costs US $ 340 without the pen. The pen 25.
Alita has 10.3 inches 1872 * 1404 - 227 ppi - Mobius - Wacom, 4/32 GB, SD slot, Octa Core CPU 1.5 Ghz, and costs US $ 100 more than P10.
But I would not buy Caliber Companion because nobody cares anymore and therefore, in my opinion, he is not entitled to any payment - I would look for version 5.4.3.3 on the net and use it.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 03-09-2021 at 03:50 PM.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote