Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-30-2021, 10:00 PM   #46
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
Yes, I agree. The main difference being, as you pointed out, the quantity of books available.
I'm hoping that Kobo's subscription service will one be extended to my market so that I can see if it's worth it. KU was only extended to my locale 9 months before I switched to Kobo, and in fact trialling KU for 2 months was enough to persuade me that it was not value for money for me, nor reason enough to stay with Kindle. Given the nature of the free books Kobo offers, I'm expecting to be similarly underwhelmed if their equivalent service ever reaches here.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:25 PM   #47
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
I'm on a KU trial right now. I won't be extending it. I find far more in the free choices than I can read so there's no point in paying, especially when the monthly fee is so high. Our discussion here got me looking at my Kobo again. I found almost 10 free titles (I can't say books as a few are only 2x-4x pages long) on WWII and have many more to look at still. I'll stick with the KU titles I'm reading until the trial is up but then may abandon the Oasis for at least a few weeks to read what I've found.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:45 PM   #48
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
Our discussion here got me looking at my Kobo again. I found almost 10 free titles (I can't say books as a few are only 2x-4x pages long) on WWII and have many more to look at still.
They sound more appealing than the freebies Kobo puts first for me - endless tracts on Hindu philosophy seem to dominate the list. Perhaps because one of the very first books I bought on my Clara was the Jungle Book in Hindi, Kobo assumes I'm enamored of any Indic writing.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:10 AM   #49
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Every time I kill some time looking at the books on Amazon that say Free with KU, I find myself asking why I would want to pay $10 per month for the sheer joy of digging into Amazon's slush pile desperately seeking for the occasional nugget of a book that is worth reading.

DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:37 PM   #50
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
And Sky is free if you have Sky subscription. It's deceptive advertising to have FREE in big text and you have to click somewhere else to see the actual price. They are having deceptive checkouts too. A tiny link to continue to pay or a BIG button to continue that also signs you up to a subscription. Dark UI techniques it's called.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:34 AM   #51
FivEawE
FivEawE began at the beginning.

Device: none
So I bought Libra (from German Amazon). The device is really nice, the page swaps are faster than I expected. I think, however, I received a piece with the lightning issue - the light is more blue on the side with the buttons and top right corner is rather dark. I do not know if I should make a fuss about it, the way I look at it, it kind of looks like a real book with the uneven light.
FivEawE is offline   Reply With Quote