Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-18-2021, 07:58 PM   #1
Nizharu
Nizharu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony-prs-t2
What Ereaders models have the best battery life?

I have an old Sony psrt2, with a really good battery life on heavy use and that after it being unchanrged for about one year, the battery still endure one month and half on heavy use.

And I want to buy a new one.

Tried a pocketbook touch lux 5 but returned it because the battery life wants exactly good( one week or less on heavy use it's not acceptable after tasting one month+)

So I want to know what models have a good battery life, my brother recommend me a Kobo, and the Clara is attractive because you can change the sd card but I want to know what options I have before plunging again and being disappointed.

Having and sd card is not a priority if its have other sweet modern stuff that are as good as that.

Oh, and by your information, I haven't actualized in years, and by years I mean that I bought the psrt2 when it first released in my country, so I'm really behind the times, I'm not fancy apps or other things that aren't read books or writing notes with the virtual keyboard.

Yeah, I feel like a dinosaur. And kinda depressed.
Nizharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:24 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizharu View Post
I have an old Sony psrt2, with a really good battery life on heavy use and that after it being unchanrged for about one year, the battery still endure one month and half on heavy use.

And I want to buy a new one.

Tried a pocketbook touch lux 5 but returned it because the battery life wants exactly good( one week or less on heavy use it's not acceptable after tasting one month+)
The only Sony Reader that I've run into that doesn't have a usable battery, is a PRS-700 (Sony's only attempt at a lighted screen). I even have one of their PRS-500s that still has a decent battery. So Sony's are exceptional and I don't think you're going to find anything to compare to them. You might be able to find a Sony PRS-3 with the lighted case, but it's not the same as a front-lit screen.

That said, I've got a used PocketBook PB615 ("Basic Lux," but the Russian version without WiFi) and the battery is extremely good on that device. It can go uncharged for months and the battery hardly drops. On the other extreme, I bought a used PocketBook Touch Lux 3 and (even though I replaced the battery) it fails regularly over night. And everything I've seen on the TL5 hasn't impressed me too much, especially the 8 LEDs instead of 9. I'm still looking at a Basic Lux 2 however, it has a front light but without touch screen.

My Tolinos (especially the older, pre-Kobo (near) hardware clones) have good battery life (none were bought new). The (near) Clara clone (Shine 3) has the shortest battery life of the crowd.

Not much help. Maybe the PocketBook Basic Lux 2 would have a better battery life.

I'm guessing others, who know more, will chime in.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:06 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The ereader with the best battery life will be released within two weeks of you purchasing an ereader.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:13 AM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
IWhat Ereaders models have the best battery life?
Don't you have any sockets at home?
Somewhere I read something of 8 weeks with half an hour of reading a day (28 hours) and this should reach all devices.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:02 AM   #5
Nizharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The only Sony Reader that I've run into that doesn't have a usable battery, is a PRS-700 (Sony's only attempt at a lighted screen). I even have one of their PRS-500s that still has a decent battery. So Sony's are exceptional and I don't think you're going to find anything to compare to them. You might be able to find a Sony PRS-3 with the lighted case, but it's not the same as a front-lit screen.

That said, I've got a used PocketBook PB615 ("Basic Lux," but the Russian version without WiFi) and the battery is extremely good on that device. It can go uncharged for months and the battery hardly drops. On the other extreme, I bought a used PocketBook Touch Lux 3 and (even though I replaced the battery) it fails regularly over night. And everything I've seen on the TL5 hasn't impressed me too much, especially the 8 LEDs instead of 9. I'm still looking at a Basic Lux 2 however, it has a front light but without touch screen.

My Tolinos (especially the older, pre-Kobo (near) hardware clones) have good battery life (none were bought new). The (near) Clara clone (Shine 3) has the shortest battery life of the crowd.

Not much help. Maybe the PocketBook Basic Lux 2 would have a better battery life.

I'm guessing others, who know more, will chime in.
Thanks for the response, I usually don't buy second hand because the place I live it's not second handed friendly, mostly with imported products, the transport cost more than the product, so if it doesn't have prime, it's a no no for me.

I found a new PB basic lux 2 really affordable, but as I have returned everything every stuff related with the other model, and the brand have left a really bad taste in my mouth, I don't want to buy another one so recently.

So the Clara HD its not a good option either, what a bummer.

So if battery life on modern devices are no good, what a bummer, what type of OS they put on those devices? windows?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
DNSB: The ereader with the best battery life will be released within two weeks of you purchasing an ereader.
Please don't remind me of the errors of my life.

Quote:
ottischwenk: Don't you have any sockets at home?
Somewhere I read something of 8 weeks with half an hour of reading a day (28 hours) and this should reach all devices.
I have more than one but not in place accesibles to me.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:11 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
On my Kobo Glo HD, I would charge about every two weeks, reading 2 hours a day (a guess), and the battery down to 30%.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:31 AM   #7
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Don't you have any sockets at home?
I have more than one but not in place accesibles to me.
There are many ways to use electricity, but:
Normally, weakly equipped devices also have weak batteries.
Devices with high performance also consume more.
- With Eink every change of page consumes electricity.
- Mainboard work consumes electricity.
- Light consumes electricity.
- Network connections consume electricity.
- Electricity is consumed even in idle mode.
I get along longer with my Boox devices than with others.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:32 AM   #8
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
On my Kobo Glo HD, I would charge about every two weeks, reading 2 hours a day (a guess), and the battery down to 30%.
28 hours!
Old 01-19-2021, 10:36 AM   #9
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Pocketbooks are one of the few devices that actually turn off after the configured "sleep" time. Mine is configured for 10 minutes of sleep or so before it turns off.
Same for Boox devices, you configure a stand-by timer and a turn off timer.

If the device turns off, then the battery isn't really drained by the device, only charging degradation the battery has naturally.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:41 AM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Comparing the Tolino Shine 3 running Android and the Kobo Clara HD running Linux, the Kobo unit allows reading longer between battery charging. My Clara HD allows me to read for ~30 hours to take the battery down to ~30%. I seldom see the battery that low since I connect to my computer to transfer books rather often.

Quote:
So if battery life on modern devices are no good, what a bummer, what type of OS they put on those devices? windows?
For eInk devices, Kobo, Amazon, Pocketbook use Linux while most others such as Onyx Boox, Tolino, Boyue, etc. are using Android. The battery life issue is, IMHO, more likely related to the reduced battery size in many newer ereaders in an attempt to reduce the weight.

One of my coworkers purchased a Onxy Boox Poke3 as a Christmas present to himself. He installed multiple reading apps (Kindle, Kobo, Pocketbook, Moon+, Audible, etc.). He has been very disappointed with the battery life even using the native reading app but then an 8 core CPU, WiFi/Bluetooth and Android 10's less than stellar power optimization for eInk displays is not a good recipe for long battery life.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:12 PM   #11
Nizharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Comparing the Tolino Shine 3 running Android and the Kobo Clara HD running Linux, the Kobo unit allows reading longer between battery charging. My Clara HD allows me to read for ~30 hours to take the battery down to ~30%. I seldom see the battery that low since I connect to my computer to transfer books rather often.
So, do you recommend the Clara for someone as exigent like me? I heard that you can change the internal sd card on those, and I have bought on the store before.

Also, half my family is kobo, quarter is bokeen (the diva is beautiful fyi) and the other quarter kindle and I don't like kindle nor now french.
that's why I tried with the pocketbook.

[QUOTE/]
For eInk devices, Kobo, Amazon, Pocketbook use Linux while most others such as Onyx Boox, Tolino, Boyue, etc. are using Android. The battery life issue is, IMHO, more likely related to the reduced battery size in many newer ereaders in an attempt to reduce the weight.

One of my coworkers purchased a Onxy Boox Poke3 as a Christmas present to himself. He installed multiple reading apps (Kindle, Kobo, Pocketbook, Moon+, Audible, etc.). He has been very disappointed with the battery life even using the native reading app but then an 8 core CPU, WiFi/Bluetooth and Android 10's less than stellar power optimization for eInk displays is not a good recipe for long battery life.[/QUOTE]

Witch is weird because the Sonys uses android as OS, it look like a heavily modified one though.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:56 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
So, do you recommend the Clara for someone as exigent like me? I heard that you can change the internal sd card on those, and I have bought on the store before.
I changed out the uSD card in my Clara HD for a 32GB version. There are several tutorials on this process.

Quote:

One of my coworkers purchased a Onxy Boox Poke3 as a Christmas present to himself. He installed multiple reading apps (Kindle, Kobo, Pocketbook, Moon+, Audible, etc.). He has been very disappointed with the battery life even using the native reading app but then an 8 core CPU, WiFi/Bluetooth and Android 10's less than stellar power optimization for eInk displays is not a good recipe for long battery life.
Quote:
Witch is weird because the Sonys uses android as OS, it look like a heavily modified one though.
I suspect that a mix of an older Android version and Sony's heavy customization helped with the battery life.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:54 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How well does the battery last in the Kobo Libra H2O? I would recommend that over the Clara HD is the battery lasts well enough. The Libra has a 7" screen which is much nicer for reading then the Clara at 6". A 6" eInk screen is the new too small.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:42 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Pocketbooks are one of the few devices that actually turn off after the configured "sleep" time. Mine is configured for 10 minutes of sleep or so before it turns off.
Same for Boox devices, you configure a stand-by timer and a turn off timer.
You can add Kobo's ereaders to the list since you can set sleep and power off individually as long as you set the power time time longer than the sleep time.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:24 AM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I don't know about that. The Clara HD and Shine 3 have completely different firmware. I'm guessing the Clara has better battery life than the Shine 3 because the Shine 3 is based on Android. But nothing really compares to the Sonys. (Not anything that I've found, anyhow.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote