Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 02-24-2021, 07:20 AM   #1
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
Negative margins

Hi, is their anyway I can get viewer to show negative margins files like they will be shown on a Kindle pw4? Have played with the custom css... but that doesn't seem to do the trick.
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:35 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No margins cannot ever display content, they are rendered separately from the text. Why would you want negative margins anyway? You can set them to zero if you want to reclaim the space.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:13 AM   #3
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Too use most of the screen up and not have a wide borders. You end up getting a extra line or 2 of text per page. On a Kindle that is.

But thanks for replying.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:32 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandulf View Post
Too use most of the screen up and not have a wide borders. You end up getting a extra line or 2 of text per page. On a Kindle that is.

But thanks for replying.
It's better to edit the eBook and fix the margins. The problem is that with ePub, you have different margins so setting a negative margin could end up with the text off the screen. I edit the margins. It doesn't take long to do so and the more you do it, the more you get used to it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:12 AM   #5
Gandulf
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's better to edit the eBook and fix the margins. The problem is that with ePub, you have different margins so setting a negative margin could end up with the text off the screen. I edit the margins. It doesn't take long to do so and the more you do it, the more you get used to it.
Do it automatically when I convert for kindle, just wanted a way to view it before sending to kindle.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:59 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I experimented for negative margins on Kindle PW3 for a while, purely for my own use. I'd never create a book for distribution like that as you don't know if Amazon would tomorrow delete the extra margin they add in firmware.

It makes no sense on any non-Amazon app or ereader. I don't bother now. I only use my three kindles as serial numbers and for testing how Kindle book versions of epub2 might look. Or really look by a test purchase of what we upload as epub2 to Amazon KDP. I don't trust the preview "mobi" they generate.

My 5" Sony, 7" Kobo and 7.8" Boyue Mars don't need special broken margins.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:27 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Once I've converted to KF8, I load that into the eBook editor and if I am happy with the margins, I add in the snippet that puts in the negative margins. I do it in html and it work very well.

Code:
html {
  margin-right: -45px;
  margin-left: -45px;
  break-inside: avoid !important;
}
The break-inside line fixes an issue with centering with KFX using one of the Calibre plugins to generate KFX.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-30-2022 at 03:45 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote