Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 05:45 PM   #511
brassvalkyrie
brassvalkyrie began at the beginning.

Device: kobo clara
I would also like to get a copy of that card image, please and thank you!
Old 10-12-2021, 07:31 PM   #512
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@brassvalkyrie: PM sent.

@wenjie: You need to enable Private Messaging. This is in the "Edit Options" of the control panel. If this isn't there, it has to be added somehow. You can try posting in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=319819 to ask it to be enabled, or contact a moderator.
Advert
Old 10-15-2021, 12:25 PM   #513
wenjie
wenjie began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
@davidfor: Private Messaging would work now. Would you send me the Clara HD's image ? Thank you.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:10 PM   #514
CTr
CTr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Hello,
My son has broken the screen of his Clara Hd. Everything working, but a dead tactile area, so I purchased an aftermarket screen. During the mounting, when I switched on my Kobo again with the new screen, i saw that the connector on the right side was not correctly introduced and went off its slot. The screen had started to initialized and didn't like the issue, it locked on a black screen, showing in the middle of the screen 2 round arrows (supposed to rotate to show that the device was working, but they don't), and 3 points (1 black, 2 white) under the arrows. I think it has frozen during the initialization, and remains blocked on it. I have tried the official procedure of reset (30s on the reset button), unplugged the battery for a while, and I have checked that there was no error on the sd card that windows would find with an analysis. Nothing works.
I tend to think that some bad instruction has been written somewhere and hat the screen itself is not damaged (maybe am I wrong, I cross the fingers).
Do you think that replacing the datas of the SD card with fresh original ones can save this reader? If yes, could you please share it with me?
additional question: can it be turned to French language once installed (you will have noticed my medium level English, sorry...)?
Thank you in advance for any solution you can tell me, I am a bit desperate... As well as my son.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:25 PM   #515
CTr

Hello,
My son has broken the screen of his Kobo Aura HD. The Kobo was still working, but with a dead tactile area, so I purchased an aftermarket screen.
I installed it, it seemed to work fine but I didn't connect well the connector under the SD card (even if it was looking fine), and it went out of its slot during the process of initialization of the screen when I switched the reader on.
As a result, the screen has advertised shortly about an issue, and has frozen in the middle of the process.
I now have a black screen with in the middle 2 round arrows (that were turning but are not anymore) and 3 points under. Everything is frozen.
I have tried the official reset procedure (30s on the button to restore), I have unplugged the battery for the night, switched off and on several times. Nothing works. The led comes on and off as it should do when I switch the Kobo, so I guess that some bad information has been written somewhere.
Windows indicates no error when analyzing the SD card.
Do you think that copying the original files of the sd card could solve the issue and help a reinitialization from 0?
If yes, could you please share the full repertory to use?
If not, any idea about what I can do to save the situation?
Thanks in advance!
Best regards
Advert
Old 10-15-2021, 07:54 PM   #516
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenjie View Post
@davidfor: Private Messaging would work now. Would you send me the Clara HD's image ? Thank you.
PM sent.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:03 PM   #517
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTr View Post
Hello,
My son has broken the screen of his Kobo Aura HD. The Kobo was still working, but with a dead tactile area, so I purchased an aftermarket screen.
I installed it, it seemed to work fine but I didn't connect well the connector under the SD card (even if it was looking fine), and it went out of its slot during the process of initialization of the screen when I switched the reader on.
As a result, the screen has advertised shortly about an issue, and has frozen in the middle of the process.
I now have a black screen with in the middle 2 round arrows (that were turning but are not anymore) and 3 points under. Everything is frozen.
I have tried the official reset procedure (30s on the button to restore), I have unplugged the battery for the night, switched off and on several times. Nothing works. The led comes on and off as it should do when I switch the Kobo, so I guess that some bad information has been written somewhere.
Windows indicates no error when analyzing the SD card.
Do you think that copying the original files of the sd card could solve the issue and help a reinitialization from 0?
If yes, could you please share the full repertory to use?
If not, any idea about what I can do to save the situation?
Thanks in advance!
Best regards
Firstly, I do not know why this is in a thread for the Clara HD. It would have been much better if you had started a new thread for the discussion. Or, since you are really just asking for the image for the Aura HD, in that thread.

From what you have said, I would have expected that putting the card in properly and starting the device would have solved the problem. A factory reset might be needed, and probably a good idea after replacing the screen. The official factory reset process is not "30s on the button to restore". It is https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...r-Kobo-Aura-HD. If the device is having problems, then ensuring it is off is done by holding the power button down for about 20 seconds. Is that what you were thinking of.

But, I have sent you a PM with the link to the image. I don't really think that is the issue, but, it's possible the SD card is damaged. Restoring it might get the device working. And I suggest a new card as these are getting old.

And of course, you did check the screen cable is plugged in properly? With what you describe, I would not assume that was the case.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:23 AM   #518
CTr

Sorry my mistake!!!
I should have read again my message before posting. That's what happen when you spend your time braking your brain at work and on your device once back home.

The broken one is indeed a Clara HD, not the Aura (I also have a Aura, but it works perfectly).

The cables are now perfectly connected and secure, yes, but one was loose during the installation, even if it seemed to stand properly, reason of the crash.
I will follow your advice and replace the card, just in case, and off course factory reset the device once (if?) I can restart and get some display again.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, and thanks again!
Old 10-16-2021, 02:51 AM   #519
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Image for the Clara HD sent.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:14 AM   #520
raven318
raven318 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
@mxel: PM sent.

@raven318: Sorry, but what is going on? You need the image that is specific to your device (with one exception). Either you have an Aura H2O or a Clara HD or some other specific device. There is absolutely no point in getting a different image and trying it. What is the device you have that is having problems?
i'm not sure, i think it was a AURA, but doesn't worked, i have tried touch> doesn't woked either, kobo glo doesn't worked, i even tried the mini image, worked half of the screen, so i will keep trying until some image work, i f you could send the image i apreciate

Last edited by raven318; 10-16-2021 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:47 PM   #521
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven318 View Post
i'm not sure, i think it was a AURA, but doesn't worked, i have tried touch> doesn't woked either, kobo glo doesn't worked, i even tried the mini image, worked half of the screen, so i will keep trying until some image work, i f you could send the image i apreciate
If you don't know what the device is, you are wasting your time. And mine. You are welcome to waste yours, but, not mine. I can fund much better ways to waste my time.

You need the correct image. Which means the image for your device. The only exception is the Aura. That can be started from the external SD card using the image for the Aura H2O. Nothing else will work. If really don't know what device you have, look at https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...or-Kobo-tablet.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:40 AM   #522
CTr

Hi David, many thanks for the image. I will try this and let you know. I hope this saves my stupid mistake!
Old 10-17-2021, 10:57 AM   #523
raven318
raven318 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you don't know what the device is, you are wasting your time. And mine. You are welcome to waste yours, but, not mine. I can fund much better ways to waste my time.

You need the correct image. Which means the image for your device. The only exception is the Aura. That can be started from the external SD card using the image for the Aura H2O. Nothing else will work. If really don't know what device you have, look at https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...or-Kobo-tablet.
it's funny when other people just ask for the image and no question is made, you just sent, "PM SENT", BUT YOUR TIME IS SO PRECIOUS , and yet you wasted writing this answer, instead helping, but is ok, the kobo i think is doomed already, SO i made a collection of all images that i have of all these years and made a torrent to helping others, thanks for your time!
Old 10-17-2021, 11:54 AM   #524
CTr

Well, I have extracted the image file on the card using Balena Etcher. It took a while but seems to work. Loading the card, it has permitted the screen to turn to life again. However, I arrive on the menu to select the language, and the tactile doesn't seem to work. impossible to select any language.
I ignore if this can still be a question of program, or if the screen is defective (but it was very well packed, and I treated it very well, no shock at all). Since it is not glued yet on its metal support (I wanted first to make sure it was properly working) I think I will open a ticket with the seller.
Or should I try to mount the image file again with another program, just in caes something turned wrong the first time?
Sorry, but I am a bit lost with it...
Old 10-17-2021, 12:52 PM   #525
CTr

I precise that after few seconds without action (since my finger doesn't get answer from the screen, it turns to a white page, with 5 square points tilting one after each other, and then again to the language menu. And again, and again...
I have tried a restoration which worked but didn't change anything.

Last edited by CTr; 10-17-2021 at 12:55 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
frozen, image, issue