Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2021, 12:43 AM   #16
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
I don't think so.... but sooner or later it will.
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:48 AM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Does E Ink even make a 9.7/10" screen with 300PPI resolution?
Not yet.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:47 PM   #18
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
I wish somebody, anybody would roll out a new device using the new e-ink on-cell touch screen just to see if it's worth holding out for.

If they updated the Forma with the new screen (assuming it's worth it) and a type C connection I would buy it in a heartbeat. I really do not want to buy a "new" device with a micro USB connection.

If something isn't announced soon I'll probably just give up and get one of the Boox Novas.
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:01 AM   #19
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post
I wish somebody, anybody would roll out a new device using the new e-ink on-cell touch screen just to see if it's worth holding out for.
It will be marginally brighter with ambient light and no different with the front light on. It's eInk's scheme to get a bigger piece of the display cost as they make no profit from 3rd party touch screens, so it will be a little lower cost for the ereader maker. It's doubtful that it will be directly reflected in end user prices.

If you don't have an eink, or only have an old 800 x 600 6" model, then buy a 300 dpi ereader now. Don't wait for a marginal improvement. Sometimes a new model isn't as good. The PW4 does have BT audio and PW3 has only USB audio, but the audio feature isn't very important for reading books. The PW3 actually has a better screen. So after comparing son's PW4 and wife's PW3 I bought a PW3 just after the PW4 came out. Though I mostly read on a Kobo Libra which is also a better screen than the PW4.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:53 AM   #20
apgimenez
apgimenez began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Color 10" e-ink screen, 32 GB memory, design similar to Forma.
apgimenez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:12 PM   #21
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Forma - I don't think this is the next device as someone in Kobo marketing will think they can sell more Elipsa's by not updating the Forma.
The Elipsa's too heavy to be a viable Forma replacement.

I really hope it's the Forma that's up next, because I want one and I can't justify paying full price for three-year-old hardware. I'll keep waiting until they release a Forma with Elipsa-equivalent internals.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:04 AM   #22
xyclonei
Connoisseur
xyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post

If they updated the Forma with the new screen (assuming it's worth it) and a type C connection I would buy it in a heartbeat. I really do not want to buy a "new" device with a micro USB connection.

If something isn't announced soon I'll probably just give up and get one of the Boox Novas.
There is a new type of e-paper out called DES (display electronic slurry) which supposedly offers better contrast & resolution and can also integrate an on-cell touch at a reduced cost compared to e-ink. I hope Kobo experiments with this.

Last edited by xyclonei; 09-08-2021 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Updated link
xyclonei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:45 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyclonei View Post
There is a new type of e-paper out called DES (display electronic slurry) which supposedly offers better contrast & resolution and can also integrate an on-cell touch at a reduced cost compared to e-ink. I hope Kobo experiments with this.
That is impressive. It would be nice to see this in use in a Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:26 AM   #24
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Call me crazy, but I would love to see an ereader with a solar cell that would recharge itself. Make it waterproof and super rugged for outdoor use.

Kobo meets REI.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:36 AM   #25
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Call me crazy, but I would love to see an ereader with a solar cell that would recharge itself. Make it waterproof and super rugged for outdoor use.

Kobo meets REI.

You're crazy and so am I, because I wish for the same thing.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:35 AM   #26
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:

Kobo meets REI.
Ditto for me.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 05:44 PM   #27
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:

Kobo meets REI.
I'm thinking of the calculators with the solar strip on them. With a plastic substrate screen it seems it would be doable. Though I don't know how large a solar panel would be needed for a reader and what would the cost be?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 04:52 AM   #28
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:

Kobo meets REI.
There used to be a solar cover for the Kindle (SolarFocus).

On the other hand, encouraging people to leave an e-ink device in full sun in a hot climate is not necessarily a good idea.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 06:48 AM   #29
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
There used to be a solar cover for the Kindle (SolarFocus).

On the other hand, encouraging people to leave an e-ink device in full sun in a hot climate is not necessarily a good idea.

Given Kobo's penchant for readers whose names end in "a", "Speranza" would work. Then Kobo sellers in said hot climates could advertise with "lasciate ogni Speranza, voi ch'entrate"
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:55 AM   #30
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I have a waterproof powerbank with a solar panel. Cost about €16. You could put two on a cover. Then even without sun charging you'd have months of reading time. About 4800 mAH each.