Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-18-2021, 02:43 AM   #661
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I usually realize my DB is corrupted when I connect Elipsa to Calibre in the morning to synchronize reading positions, and eventually add books.

Today I woke early and decided to read some. Only 825 books instead of 5000+ when I put it to sleep yesterday night. How come it corrupts while sleeping?
Was it in the same state when you woke it as when you it to sleep? Did you leave it with a book open or on something other than the home page? If the state changed, it might have restarted for some reason. Which means the database would have been reread. A crash might have corrupted the database. Or it might have been corrupted already.
Quote:
At least, I can now prove it has nothing to do with Calibre.
I made some suggestions to @Cootey in another thread. Something extra would be to restart the device. That rereads the database and you can see if any books are missing, or connect to the PC an do a check on the database. If you do this after using calibre and any new books have been imported, it would give an indication of whether the database was corrupted by calibre.
Quote:
Then I decided to explore some:
  • all the books visible are from authors whose name begins within the A-Cel range, but not all those authors within this range which should are visible
  • not all books from the visible authors are visible
  • the free memory is 21.3 MB, so all 5000+ are present
  • the F/w downgraded to 4.26.17826 (what has this to do with DB corruption?)
A firmware install will reboot the device. A lot of people have blamed this on database corruption in the past. But, I am fairly sure that the database was already corrupted and the reboot is the first time the database is being reread.

I haven't heard of firmware being downgraded before, but, the firmware check does supply the current firmware version, so it could be done if Kobo had a reason to. They have withdrawn upgrades in the past, but, only by not offering it when the update check is sent.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 03:00 AM   #662
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Was it in the same state when you woke it as when you it to sleep? Did you leave it with a book open or on something other than the home page? If the state changed, it might have restarted for some reason. Which means the database would have been reread. A crash might have corrupted the database. Or it might have been corrupted already.
I always return to the home page before putting a reader to sleep. And the reading was completely normal before. The books appeared where they should, in the order they should, and reading was completely normal, as well as calling dictionaries.

Quote:
I made some suggestions to @Cootey in another thread. Something extra would be to restart the device. That rereads the database and you can see if any books are missing, or connect to the PC an do a check on the database. If you do this after using calibre and any new books have been imported, it would give an indication of whether the database was corrupted by calibre.
When I realized there were many books missing, I did restart the device, but it changed nothing.

Afterwards I connected to Calibre, which said the DB was corrupted.

Quote:
A firmware install will reboot the device. A lot of people have blamed this on database corruption in the past. But, I am fairly sure that the database was already corrupted and the reboot is the first time the database is being reread.

I haven't heard of firmware being downgraded before, but, the firmware check does supply the current firmware version, so it could be done if Kobo had a reason to. They have withdrawn upgrades in the past, but, only by not offering it when the update check is sent.
I always have the wifi turned off, except for the short time I turned it on the morning 4.28.17925 became available, so that Kobo would upgrade it, but I turned it off immediately after, so it was off when it downgraded, unless Kobo itself turned it on, and I have the automatic upgrades unticked.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 03:45 AM   #663
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a new error message from Database check, which does NOT say the DB is corrupted, but:
Spoiler:
Résultat de l'exécution de la commande 'PRAGMA integrity_check' sur la base de données du dispositif Kobo:

*** in database main ***
On tree page 280227 cell 51: Rowid 485279 out of order
On tree page 443664 cell 2: Child page depth differs
On tree page 443664 cell 1: Child page depth differs
Page 276706 is never used
Page 443341 is never used
Page 443345 is never used
Page 443661 is never used
Page 443662 is never used
Page 443665 is never used
Page 443666 is never used
Page 443667 is never used
Page 443668 is never used
Page 443669 is never used
Page 443670 is never used
Page 443671 is never used
Page 443672 is never used
Page 443673 is never used
Page 443674 is never used
Page 443675 is never used
Page 443676 is never used
Page 443677 is never used
Page 443678 is never used
Page 443679 is never used
Page 443680 is never used
Page 443681 is never used
Page 443682 is never used
Page 443683 is never used
Page 443684 is never used
Page 443685 is never used
Page 443686 is never used
Page 443687 is never used
Page 443688 is never used
Page 443689 is never used
Page 443690 is never used
Page 443691 is never used
Page 443692 is never used
Page 443693 is never used
Page 443694 is never used
Page 443695 is never used
Page 443696 is never used
Page 443697 is never used
Page 443698 is never used
Page 443699 is never used
Page 443700 is never used
Page 443701 is never used
Page 443702 is never used
Page 443703 is never used
Page 443704 is never used
Page 443705 is never used
Page 443706 is never used
Page 443707 is never used
Page 443708 is never used
Page 443709 is never used
Page 443710 is never used
Page 443711 is never used
Page 443712 is never used
Page 443713 is never used
Page 443714 is never used
Page 443715 is never used
Page 443716 is never used
Page 443717 is never used
Page 443718 is never used
Page 443719 is never used
Page 443720 is never used
Page 443721 is never used
Page 443722 is never used
Page 443723 is never used
Page 443724 is never used
Page 443725 is never used
Page 443726 is never used
Page 443727 is never used
Page 443728 is never used
Page 443729 is never used
Page 443730 is never used
Page 443731 is never used
Page 443732 is never used
Page 443733 is never used
Page 443734 is never used
Page 443735 is never used
Page 443736 is never used
Page 443737 is never used
Page 443738 is never used
Page 443739 is never used
Page 443740 is never used
Page 443741 is never used
Page 443742 is never used
Page 443743 is never used
Page 443744 is never used
Page 443745 is never used
Page 443746 is never used
Page 443747 is never used
Page 443748 is never used
Page 443749 is never used
Page 443750 is never used
Page 443751 is never used
Page 443752 is never used
Page 443753 is never used
Page 443754 is never used
Page 443755 is never used
Page 443756 is never used

What is it about? Can I do anything before giving up altogether?
The only thing I did between my last check/save less than half an hour ago are
  • harmonize one book (whose title I had modified in Calibre)
  • send two books which had disappeared - yes I know a sign of problems
  • update a couple of reading positions
  • update all the metadata
Please advise.

EDIT: I forgot to say I also compressed the DB because I had a message similar to one for which davidfor recommended a DB compression.
When I disconnected Elipsa, the first screen was as if it was a new empty reader, but then it started a lengthy import of the content.
Then I had the usual charge your reader screen, and I restarted it - result:
* 9 books visible on home page, 11 in book list
* reading parameters 11 books/15,4 Mo
* technical information 21.8 Go available, so there are many invisible books present, but not all as it should be 21.2 Go available.

Last edited by anacreon; 07-18-2021 at 04:07 AM.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:15 AM   #664
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I always return to the home page before putting a reader to sleep. And the reading was completely normal before. The books appeared where they should, in the order they should, and reading was completely normal, as well as calling dictionaries.

When I realized there were many books missing, I did restart the device, but it changed nothing.
I would expect that. But, is not what I meant. I think something caused the device to restart after you finished reading. When the database was read during the startup, it was already corrupted. Either, whatever did the restart also corrupted the database (such as a crash while writing to the database), or it was already corrupted. There are probably other times when the database is reread. But, I don't know when. If it did happen, then that is when the books would seem to disappear.

The rest was thoughts on how to check if the database was still OK at any point. A concern is that it is something calibre is doing. Tests after using calibre would show if it was the cause.
Quote:
Afterwards I connected to Calibre, which said the DB was corrupted.

I always have the wifi turned off, except for the short time I turned it on the morning 4.28.17925 became available, so that Kobo would upgrade it, but I turned it off immediately after, so it was off when it downgraded, unless Kobo itself turned it on, and I have the automatic upgrades unticked.
In that case, I have no idea how the firmware was downgraded. If it was me, I'd be assuming that it hadn't been updated. But, unless I kept logs, I wouldn't be able to prove it one way or the other.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 04:30 AM   #665
anacreon
Guru

I had a new type of problem: the few books I sent to the reader yesterday (once in the morning, once in the evening) were in the files of Elipsa, but invisible from Calibre. I tested the same books on Libra, where they work fine.
Also I noted while reading last night on Elipsa that the sorting by recent or date added were completed out.
So I thought I might disconnect/reconnect the Kobo account, but use an older DB saved, specifically 6 July, the first I saved after I had loaded all my books on the Elipsa I got June 24th.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:45 PM   #666
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
New Kobo (N604) [Elipsa - ed.]

I’ve noticed that the best way to annotate ebooks is to select “swipe only” for navigation. The default setting (tap & swipe) gets in the way of annotation because the pages keep turning on me while I am annotating. My wresting hand is often interpreted as a tap, especially when annotating near the edges. It’s possible to write on one page then suddenly be writing on the next or previous.

Now I only run into problems when I am annotating something in the middle of the page. My wrist can accidentally activate the menu. It’s not usually a problem unless I am jotting notes at the top or bottom of the page.

Anybody else notice this?

Obviously, the best solution is to learn to annotate with your wrist suspended in the air with the stylus tip being the only point of contact, but this leads to poor handwriting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Cootey; 07-22-2021 at 05:30 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:52 PM   #667
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So I thought I might disconnect/reconnect the Kobo account, but use an older DB saved, specifically 6 July, the first I saved after I had loaded all my books on the Elipsa I got June 24th.
That sounds like a good plan. Please let us know if it resolves your issues. Also, do you use Calibre?

I religiously backup up my Elipsa right now so I don’t lose much when I have to restore from backup. I’ve run into quirky issues only when involving Calibre. But now that I’m running debug mode and checking the database like a paranoid, my replacement Elipsa is behaving. As they do…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-22-2021, 04:49 AM   #668
vintodrimmer
Seen this place before
vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
My wresting hand is often interpreted as a tap, especially when annotating near the edges. It’s possible to write on one page then suddenly be writing on the next or previous.
Have the same issue.
I'm honestly surprised navigation doesn't turn off when the stylus is near the screen.
This is not a problem with my Wacom Tablet, even though it supports touch input or my friend's iPad Pro with a pencil.
I'm almost certain it's just shitty software on Kobo's part.
vintodrimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:29 AM   #669
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintodrimmer View Post
Have the same issue.
I'm honestly surprised navigation doesn't turn off when the stylus is near the screen.
This is not a problem with my Wacom Tablet, even though it supports touch input or my friend's iPad Pro with a pencil.
I'm almost certain it's just shitty software on Kobo's part.

Agreed. My iPad & pencil also cancels navigation when pencil is in use. I hope they'll address this in an update.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-22-2021, 06:19 AM   #670
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The palm rejection does kick in, but it does indeed sometimes do so a wee bit too late .

(I've also seen a good number of spurious 0-pressure events, both with fingers & pen. That results in missed taps (and makes the kernel spit out a warning when it's a finger, because that should really never happen ;p)).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:37 AM   #671
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
Cootey, thanks for the “Swipe only” advice. In have also run into the page turning issues.
One other problem I had once was while highlighting to the end of the page. Somehow it ended up highlighting to the end of the book! I have no idea how I turned on that feature, but the reader locked up for a while till it was complete.
Thanks,
Joe
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:19 AM   #672
anacreon
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Try this kobopatch libnickel patch (completely untested, and I've also barely even looked at these versions yet). You will need to make the kobopatch configuration from scratch since I haven't released updated patches yet.

Code:
Enable markup for sideloaded kepubs:
  - Enabled: yes
  - ReplaceBytes:
      Base: "KepubMarkupDelegate::isMarkupSupported(Volume const&)"
      Offset: 64
      FindInstBLX: {SymPLT: "Content::isSideLoaded() const"}
      ReplaceH: 4F F0 00 00
If it doesn't work, it may either do nothing, cause the reader to crash and reboot when viewing a sideloaded kepub book (until you remove the patch), or only partially enable markup.

Works fine with 4.28.17925 too. Thank you! I waited until you had made the patches, since I didn't feel able to do it from scratch.
Old 10-09-2021, 01:35 PM   #673
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Now the Elipsa is out, I'm looking at the gap between the FCC notification and the device relase, and thinking it unlikely there's be another Kobo this year - no reFormation, it seems
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Never forget the power of prayer!
And it worked!
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 05:26 PM   #674
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
I've noticed that my PC doesn't recognize my Elipsa as a storage device when I plug it in via a USB-C port, but does see it when I plug it in via USB Type-A to Type-C.

Has anybody experienced this before?
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 12:37 AM   #675
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
I've noticed that my PC doesn't recognize my Elipsa as a storage device when I plug it in via a USB-C port, but does see it when I plug it in via USB Type-A to Type-C.

Has anybody experienced this before?
Not with an Elipsa but that's been fairly common with my Kobo ereaders. To give you some hope, 4.28.18220 allows my Forma and Clara HD to connect to USB ports that were previously unusable so the next firmware release for the Elipsa may help with your issue.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote