Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
iansealy
iansealy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Download ebooks from Amazon?

Hi,

(Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I don't own any kind of reader myself.)

My Dad has a Kobo and lives in Australia. I live in the UK and would like to buy him some kind of voucher for Christmas so he can buy some ebooks. If I just get him an Amazon gift certificate then would he be able to use it? Or are there problems with Amazon's DRM and the Kobo and/or geographic limitations?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Ian
iansealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The DRm & the format used by Amazon are incompatible with the Kobo. The Kobo uses Adobe's Adept DRM with ePub as the eBook format. So eBooks in ePub with Adept DRM will work fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Welcome to MobileRead iansealy!

Unfortunately, Kindle books cannot be read on a Kobo without removing DRM and converting to ePub, which would probably be a pain for your Dad (even though there is an Australian Kindle books store).

Are you unable to purchase a Kobo gift certificate for him to use? You can also check other ebook retailers that sell the ePub format (Sony, Fictionwise, BooksonBoard). I'm not sure that Barnes & Noble ePub will work as they have their own type of DRM.

I'm sure some more knowledgeable folks will pop in with more specific advice for you.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Ian.

Good advice above.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Kobo does not currently have gift certificates. There is a thread bout this which includes some information about purchasing pre-loaded credit cards to use instead.

Did you check to see if Borders Australia does have gift cards? They are Kobo partners and use the same book format and DRM scheme.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Kobo does not currently have gift certificates. There is a thread bout this which includes some information about purchasing pre-loaded credit cards to use instead.
Thanks for that info taming.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
iansealy
iansealy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile

Thanks for the really swift and helpful replies and for the lovely welcome.

I'm going to get a Borders Gift Card (as described at http://www.borders.com.au/gift-cards). One of the FAQs on http://www.borders.com.au/ebooks-faqs/ is:

Quote:
Can I use a Borders Gift Card (EGC) to purchase eBooks?

Yes ... and no. Borders giftcards can be used to purchase eBooks if you are purchasing through the website however giftcards are not currently able to be used to purchase through the apps at this time.
So that seems good to me.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Ian
iansealy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon