Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-16-2017, 12:21 PM   #1
Pascougnou
Pascougnou began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
calibre-server 3.0 fails to display libbrary

Hello,

I've been toying with the new version of calibre-server on windows and linux.
On Windows no issue everything works as it should, on linux (an ubuntu without graphical interface) on the other hand (same database, same books) I'm unable to access the library.

The page loads and shows "Choose the calibre library to browse…" without showing any actual library.

I've launched the server with
Code:
root:~# calibre-server  /path_to_library/ --port myPort
calibre server listening on 0.0.0.0:myPort
Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.
Pascougnou is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Windows 10 tablet,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascougnou View Post
Hello,

I've been toying with the new version of calibre-server on windows and linux.
On Windows no issue everything works as it should, on linux (an ubuntu without graphical interface) on the other hand (same database, same books) I'm unable to access the library.

The page loads and shows "Choose the calibre library to browse…" without showing any actual library.

I've launched the server with
Code:
root:~# calibre-server  /path_to_library/ --port myPort
calibre server listening on 0.0.0.0:myPort
Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.
Use:
Code:
calibre-server --port myPort
example:
Code:
 calibre-server --port 80xx
calibre server listening on 0.0.0.0:80xx
OPDS feeds advertised via BonJour at: 192.168.x.x port: 80xx
In bowser type in 127.0.0.1:myport
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
Pascougnou

Hello Bernie

Thanks for the help.
The problem is if I do not specify a library I get an error message.

Code:
Root > calibre-server --port 8190
You must specify at least one calibre library

Last edited by Pascougnou; 06-18-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:09 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That will happen if you have never run calibre itself on your linux computer, in which case you need to specify the path to the calibre library folder, like this:

calibre-server --port 8080 /path/to/folder/containing/metadata.db
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:14 AM   #5
Pascougnou

Hello kovidgoyal,

I've just tried it with both my existing library and a fresh one (just to be sure) and I'm experimenting the same behavior. Is there some log I could look for to understand if everything is well configured?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I've noticed (thanks to another post) that the /mobile site is diplaying the content of the DB.
Not letting me read the book -> not found.
I don't know if this is useful info.

Last edited by Pascougnou; 06-19-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Advert
Old 06-20-2017, 05:48 PM   #6
amatriain
amatriain began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader t3
I'm seeing the same in a calibre 3 installation upgraded from 2.x running in a headless server (the folder with the library is called "Calibre"):

- /mobile interface works fine

- If I start the full calibre desktop gui via X fowarding and run the calibre server from there, the web interface works fine.

- If I start calibre-server from the command line (headless mode) I get the "choose a library to browse" message but the button to actually choose a library doesn't appear.

- I've realised that when running the server from the full desktop gui, after choosing a library, a fragment is added to the URL like this: "#library_id=Calibre&panel=book_list". When running calibre-server in headless mode, if I add a fragment to the URL: "#panel=book_list" I get the list of books in my library and I can use it. However if I try to add the library name to the URL "library_id=Calibre" then some things do not work, for example when trying to retrieve a book cover image I see a 404 error in the browser logs with the return message "Library u'Calibre' not found".

It seems to me there's a bug when running calibre-server in headless mode, it leaves the library name blank and some things break. A workaround is to add "#panel=book_list" manually to the URL but the library name is still blank and I suspect some things will still be broken.

Anything else I can do to help pin down the bug please tell me.
amatriain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:40 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just wait for 3.1
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:45 AM   #8
Pascougnou

Will do
Thanks for the great work Kovid ;-)
Thanks amatriain for the workaround

Last edited by Pascougnou; 06-21-2017 at 05:02 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:09 AM   #9
amatriain
amatriain began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader t3
After some more testing I've realised that the bug only happens when running calibre-server with a linux user that has never run the desktop gui. In this case, even if I pass the path to the library to calibre-server, it's bugged (there's no button to choose the library).

However if I run the calibre desktop gui with a user and go through the first run wizard, afterwards that user can run calibre-server without passing the path to the library (I guess it's saved in $HOME/.config/calibre somewhere) and everything works as expected.
amatriain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:13 AM   #10
Pascougnou

Problem solved in 3.1 thanks for the great work.