Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-18-2017, 07:28 AM   #1
Gilgeam
Gilgeam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Using compressed files for audiobook organization

Greetings friends,

I'm slowly moving all literature-related stuff to calibre and am trying to tackle audiobooks next. I did some research and found some folk like using .tar for this purpose. However, I have most of my audiobooks compressed in different formats, mostly ZIP, occasionally RAR. Since I can just put these into calibre, I'm a little bit confused if and why I should convert them to tar before I do. Can anyone offer some advice? Am I not seeing a problem that might occur in simply sticking with ZIP and RAR?

Thanks a lot for your patience and wisdom!

Gil
Gilgeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2017, 07:38 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I can see ZIP not being a good option as Calibre normally uses the ZIP extension for storing HTML books (which can consist of multiple files). I have seen ZAB mentioned as a common extension for ZIP'ed audiobooks so maybe that would be a good one to use?

Not quite sure why RAR should not be used unless it is the fact that Calibre peeks inside that format to see if it contains a recognisable eBook and if so extracts it before adding it to the Calibre library.
itimpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:51 PM   #3
Gilgeam

Gotcha, I'll try to convert my files next chance I get. Thanks a lot, good Sir :-D
Old 06-18-2017, 09:16 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I can see ZIP not being a good option as Calibre normally uses the ZIP extension for storing HTML books (which can consist of multiple files). I have seen ZAB mentioned as a common extension for ZIP'ed audiobooks so maybe that would be a good one to use?

Not quite sure why RAR should not be used unless it is the fact that Calibre peeks inside that format to see if it contains a recognisable eBook and if so extracts it before adding it to the Calibre library.

And, ZIP and RAR files are also auto-converted to CBZ and CBR if they contain nothing but images. I use this feature a lot for comics etc. So if I see a book has a ZIP or a RAR format then its probably a sign the archive I added has a stray non image file.

I would use a 7Z format for supplementary archives, e.g. for multi-part audio books, in part because my file manager can open them directly.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:14 AM   #5
Gilgeam

Oh... wow... once again I'm glad I asked, I'd never have figured this out for myself.

Thanks you two! You're like calibre's Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid :-D
Old 06-19-2017, 03:23 PM   #6
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgeam View Post
Greetings friends,

I'm slowly moving all literature-related stuff to calibre and am trying to tackle audiobooks next. I did some research and found some folk like using .tar for this purpose. However, I have most of my audiobooks compressed in different formats, mostly ZIP, occasionally RAR. Since I can just put these into calibre, I'm a little bit confused if and why I should convert them to tar before I do. Can anyone offer some advice? Am I not seeing a problem that might occur in simply sticking with ZIP and RAR?

Thanks a lot for your patience and wisdom!

Gil
You could also convert them to for example mba, that way you can directly play them.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote