Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-15-2008, 03:03 PM   #46
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasbadar View Post
Could you (or anyone) please check on their (changed) devices, how "plain text"-files are rendered? Just put one on SD-Card and open it.
I just checked, and the TXT file was displayed using a sans-serif font. I'll take your word that they would be previously displayed with the serif font, since I've never before loaded a TXT file onto my Reader.

I don't know why this would happen, but still... my solution to your problem stays the same. If you replace the other two fonts with your new font, it's not like the Reader is going to whip out a brand new font out of thin air . It will use your new font for anything you throw at it (except the stuff with embedded fonts).
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:55 PM   #47
mikeywilliams25
Enthusiast
mikeywilliams25 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GloHD and Aura h2O
I noticed that another user - roofone - seems to have the same problem - described in post 209 of the customiser thread.

Hard to understand why running the customiser without the font change works perfectly - but changing the font results in the usb problem. Oh well, one day the answer will be found. Thanks for giving it your attention. I'll just have to live with the default fonts (which arent that bad).

BTW I also noticed the change to the plain text font commented on by rasbadar.
That's weird too.
mikeywilliams25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2008, 08:15 PM   #48
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
So, this "new" UK firmware version cannot be mikeywilliams25's problem, because he has flashed the Reader, several times.
My understanding is that if his firmware is something other than 1.1.00.18040 or below Igorsk's Universal Flasher errors out with a message. The About page will give the firmware revision number.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is that using the Universal Flasher on a UK 505 is not a good idea. We don't know what problems it may cause in the long run. May seem to work. But do we know what issues it will cause? We don't. So flashing isn't good until there is a flasher available specifically for the UK firware. But the problem is that there is no firware file for the UK 505 if anything happens. So I would just leave UK 505s alone.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:33 AM   #50
rasbadar
Enthusiast
rasbadar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-505
Smile

Quote:
I just checked, and the TXT file was displayed using a sans-serif font. I'll take your word that they would be previously displayed with the serif font, since I've never before loaded a TXT file onto my Reader.

I don't know why this would happen, but still... my solution to your problem stays the same. If you replace the other two fonts with your new font, it's not like the Reader is going to whip out a brand new font out of thin air . It will use your new font for anything you throw at it (except the stuff with embedded fonts).
Thanks a lot for this confirmation. So I know that my prrrrecccccious 505 is not defective.
I just have to convert everything to LRF before using it. No problem, since i "fuel" my 505 with calibre and not diretctly via USB.

Thanks a lot for your Support!!!!!!!!!!!

ras
rasbadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #51
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that using the Universal Flasher on a UK 505 is not a good idea. We don't know what problems it may cause in the long run. May seem to work. But do we know what issues it will cause? We don't. So flashing isn't good until there is a flasher available specifically for the UK firware. But the problem is that there is no firware file for the UK 505 if anything happens. So I would just leave UK 505s alone.
Hm... but I guess they could overwrite the UK firmware with the US firmware using the updater (and the "version changing" updater hack) and then flash the Reader with igorsk's flasher. That should work.

But yeah, it would remove whatever changes Sony added to the UK version. To tell you the truth, I don't think it was any new functionality, but possibly something related to the Connect store, like disallowing UK Readers from loading books from it (for tax and/or contract reasons with Waterstones).
Old 09-17-2008, 03:12 AM   #52
Pendergast
Pendergast began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs505
Probably a silly question, sorry.

I've followed all the instructions and I chose Cambria because I like its nice curves. So I installed the Font Creator and followed all the steps.
Then I downloaded and executed the Prscustomizer that populated the sdcard folder. Ok. The problem is that when I replace the font with the one I had previously made, I noticed that the icon fonts are different. The ones that the prscustomizer made, have the ttf icon, this one
http://tinyurl.com/6bhlpy
but my font has the open type icon, this one
http://tinyurl.com/6o8353

Probably that means nothing, but I'm afraid of all the prs bricked so I decided to make the question

Thanks in advance
Pendergast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:17 AM   #53
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post
The ones that the prscustomizer made, have the ttf icon, but my font has the open type icon
That suggests you're trying to use an OpenType (.otf) font. See Appendix A and save it as a .ttf extension from FontCreator.

Possible problems: (1) Having Windows set to hide file extensions, so what you see isn't the real filename, or (2) Renaming the file, rather than saving from FontCreator, as that doesn't let FC do the conversion that it does when saving.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:00 AM   #54
Valloric

Quote:
The ones that the prscustomizer made, have the ttf icon, but my font has the open type icon
Like gwyn said, it's all explained in Appendix A. Saving an OTF font as a TTF font in FontCreator will create a compatible font (an OTF font with TTF outlines, and this works on the Reader).
Old 09-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #55
Pendergast

The font has ttf extension. The only thing that changes is the icon.
If the font has the ttf extension and changes the icon, does it matter? Will I brick the prs?

Thanks for your answers
Old 09-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #56
Valloric

Quote:
The font has ttf extension. The only thing that changes is the icon.
If the font has the ttf extension and changes the icon, does it matter? Will I brick the prs?

Thanks for your answers
Read Appendix A.

The Reader accepts TrueType (TTF) fonts, or OpenType (OTF) fonts that have TrueType outlines. Also, the filename is important. If you just change the extension of an OTF font to TTF, it will not work.

It's all explained in Appendix A.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #57
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Hm... but I guess they could overwrite the UK firmware with the US firmware using the updater (and the "version changing" updater hack) and then flash the Reader with igorsk's flasher. That should work.
I know of at least one user who did just that. He posted in the PRSCustomizer thread and reported no problems. If I had to guess, it's nothing more than a version number change. What will be interesting is if people who do this can still buy books
Old 09-18-2008, 12:20 PM   #58
Pendergast

Ok thanks Valloric and gwynevans. Thanks a lot

I've changed the main font and I used Cambria that, although it was ttf from the very beginning, its icon was open type and that was driving me crazy. After reading your messages I decided to flash with that font despite de damn icon.

And it worked perfectly. I only had to follow appendix C because my reader was previously modified and followed your instructions.

I love the font. Cambria is a friendly smooth font and I reccomend it.

Thanks again
Pendergast
Old 09-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #59
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
If I had to guess, it's nothing more than a version number change.
I think I saw some comments to the effect that it changed the displayed date format from the US mm/dd/yyyy to the dd/mm/yyyy format.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:01 PM   #60
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
I think I saw some comments to the effect that it changed the displayed date format from the US mm/dd/yyyy to the dd/mm/yyyy format.
At a quick glance, I haven't seen anything in the .xml that formats date to European or US format.