Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 09-07-2011, 02:15 AM   #1
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
How to remove gray and dark background from a scanned PDF?

I usually download PDFs file of old books or hard to find titles and many of them have gray or extremely dark backgrounds which makes them difficult to read on my Kindle DXG. I would like to be able to remove the background in those PDF, keeping the foreground intact.

Most of those PDF are poetry, so OCR is simply impossible because of they usually have complex layout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	1495
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	76214   Click image for larger version

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	1625
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	76215  

Last edited by thebestjeter; 09-07-2011 at 02:51 AM.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:57 AM   #2
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Install a printer driver that can extract each page as JPG or PNG. You simply hit File - Print, select the driver and change the options for the target directory, DPI, whatever.

First one looks ok to me. You could use Scan Tailor on those extracted images to produce similar results (black and white instead of grayscale). As far as I know, IrfanView can probably save them with a higher contrast. I think it's File - Batch Convert... I don't remember. I haven't used it in a while.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
You could try unpaper.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post
Install a printer driver that can extract each page as JPG or PNG. You simply hit File - Print, select the driver and change the options for the target directory, DPI, whatever.

First one looks ok to me. You could use Scan Tailor on those extracted images to produce similar results (black and white instead of grayscale). As far as I know, IrfanView can probably save them with a higher contrast. I think it's File - Batch Convert... I don't remember. I haven't used it in a while.
Thanks. It was very helpful.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:06 PM   #5
thebestjeter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
You could try unpaper.
Thanks. It looks very, very interesting and helpful, but I have no idea how to run this in a Windows machine. Any clue?
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 04:14 AM   #6
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
VirtualBox and a copy of Ubuntu (700 MB LiveCD).
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
There's a binary of unpaper for DOS available here -- I must admit I don't have a lot of experience with unpaper in general, and none for Windows (I'm a linux user).
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote