Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 04-28-2021, 08:12 PM   #3121
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
aka Donald Peters

Nadia May’s one of my favorite narrators and I love listening to 19th century novels; however, for book club reads I usually read the book as I can pay closer attention to the text. I may go for a hybrid experience, either switch back and forth or listen and then skim.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:31 PM   #3122
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Finished Sourcery by Terry Pratchett. Not one of my favorites, but still good! Read by Nigel Planer.

Currently listening to Gateway by Frederick Pohl and narrated by Oliver Wyman. A food miner's (yeah, odd to me too) story that alternates between his mental illness treatment (robot shrink) and his trip to an alien gateway. I'm about 1/3 way through.

My take along audio is A Robot Named Clunk by Simon Haynes and narrated by Graeme Hague. This is book 1 of the Hal Spacejock series (humerous scifi). Good so far.

Last edited by Tarana; 04-28-2021 at 10:42 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2021, 01:06 AM   #3123
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Hoopla had four audiobook versions of Daniel Deronda available. I was tempted to go with Wanda McCaddon (aka Donald Peters aka Nadia May), but decided to borrow the Jill Tanner version instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

Nadia May’s one of my favorite narrators and I love listening to 19th century novels; however, for book club reads I usually read the book as I can pay closer attention to the text. I may go for a hybrid experience, either switch back and forth or listen and then skim.
I once commented to my wife that I'd happily listen to Donada Peters read the London Directory (phonebook). So when she's an option? I'm definitely going for her.

I find myself listening more than reading these days. For one thing, I can do it while knitting or gardening. For another, I'm finding harder and harder to read as compared to listen. But, that being said, I get your point about reading for a book club. It's harder to "fix" things in your mind when listening as compared to reading, so by the time I finish listening to a book, I am not always prepared to discuss it. Like you, issybird, I might go for a hybrid read.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:39 AM   #3124
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
My take along audio is A Robot Named Clunk by Simon Haynes and narrated by Graeme Hague. This is book 1 of the Hal Spacejock series (humerous scifi). Good so far.
Ah, I see it's been retitled. It was originally just called "Hal Spacejock." I read that back when Simon was giving away free eBook copies here on the forum way back in 2011. It's hard to believe I've been participating here for over a decade now! Geesh, I feel old!

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:15 AM   #3125
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Ah, I see it's been retitled. It was originally just called "Hal Spacejock." I read that back when Simon was giving away free eBook copies here on the forum way back in 2011. It's hard to believe I've been participating here for over a decade now! Geesh, I feel old!

ApK
I got the ebook free in 2018. It shows up on the ereader as Hal Spacejock although the cover says A Robot Called Clunk. There was some special on the omnibus of 1st 3 audiobooks last year ($5), so I took advantage of that. I was old when I joined in 2012.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2021, 11:54 AM   #3126
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
The Thorensen book improved considerably, both in craft and distinctiveness of the story and setting. My final verdict is read, don't listen, and I did end up grabbing a Kindle Unlimited trial to continue the series in text. While the prose and dialogue even out somewhat and exposition dumps get both fewer and less wooden as the series progresses, there are still bits better skimmed, as well as some moderately detailed tactics in the second book that are probably more easily digested in text.

Thorensen does show clear enthusiasm for the material and improvement in both craft and, I suspect, editing. The second volume doesn't scream "Self published!" nearly as much as the first. He also has a genuine gift for subverting reader expectations: he'll foreshadow pretty obvious and trope-y plot events, but take an unexpected and usually pretty satisfying road to get there. And it's not gimmicky; the result is making the events feel more grounded in the characters' lives, not twists for twists' sake.

Having the KU trial and an itch for some not-too-wild sci-fi, I'm revisiting Tales from the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper on audio. I'm already through Quarter Share and on to Half Share. It's just the coziest, and apparently memorable - I find myself remembering and anticipating nearly every major story beat, which is not the case with every re-read/re-listen. The narration does seem a little lackluster, which I don't remember being an issue at all my first time through. I'm afraid that long TGR streak and some of the other choice readers I've experienced the last few years may be making me a voice snob.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:44 PM   #3127
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
The narration does seem a little lackluster, which I don't remember being an issue at all my first time through. I'm afraid that long TGR streak and some of the other choice readers I've experienced the last few years may be making me a voice snob.
I listened to the Solar Clipper books in the podcast versions read by the author, and loved them. I thought he did a better job than the versions on Audible with the pro narrator.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:54 PM   #3128
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I listened to the Solar Clipper books in the podcast versions read by the author, and loved them. I thought he did a better job than the versions on Audible with the pro narrator.
ApK
I've listened to both. I would say that Lowell does a much better job than the vast majority of authors, but I didn't think Jeffrey Kafer did a bad job, though perhaps not outstanding. OTOH, these stories are a gift that just keeps on giving. I find myself re-reading them regularly, while waiting anxiously for new ones.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:12 AM   #3129
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I've listened to both. I would say that Lowell does a much better job than the vast majority of authors, but I didn't think Jeffrey Kafer did a bad job, though perhaps not outstanding. OTOH, these stories are a gift that just keeps on giving. I find myself re-reading them regularly, while waiting anxiously for new ones.
I like Lowell's books as well. I have the audiobook of the first one. I thought it was ok, but it didn't make me want to buy the rest. I don't know that Lowell's books work well as audiobooks. Maybe if I had heard the podcast or maybe it just needs someone whose strengths match the pace of the books.

I do agree with the previous poster that sometimes listening to really good narrators/voice actors can spoil you for the average narrator. Of course, I think that you do need to find someone whose narration style matches the book.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:55 AM   #3130
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Try the podcast if you didn't like the narrator. Frankly, I think his books are very much aural stories. I think that's what I like about them, in part. Even reading them, it feels like he's in the room, telling me a story.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:45 PM   #3131
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finished up Mutineer's Moon. I enjoyed it enough to buy the next in the series.

I'm not sure yet what's next. I might go for Death on the Nile though I'm really in the mood for something a bit more light hearted.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:24 PM   #3132
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just finished A Fire Sparkling by Julianne MacLean (read by Rosalyn Landor and Sarah Zimmerman), and gave it five stars. I loved everything about the book, including the narration. A daughter has returned home after catching her long-term boyfriend cheating on her. Dad is glad to have her home at this time because he's going through an issue of his own: he's just discovered photos hidden in his attic that show his mother in the arms of a German Nazi officer notorious for his cruelty. To make matters worst, the pictures are dated around the time he was conceived. Seems family recipes aren't the only things grandma's been hiding.

With great writing and some well-designed plot twists, this is the best story I've encountered in quite some time.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:05 PM   #3133
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Just finished A Fire Sparkling by Julianne MacLean (read by Rosalyn Landor and Sarah Zimmerman), and gave it five stars. I loved everything about the book, including the narration. A daughter has returned home after catching her long-term boyfriend cheating on her. Dad is glad to have her home at this time because he's going through an issue of his own: he's just discovered photos hidden in his attic that show his mother in the arms of a German Nazi officer notorious for his cruelty. To make matters worst, the pictures are dated around the time he was conceived. Seems family recipes aren't the only things grandma's been hiding.

With great writing and some well-designed plot twists, this is the best story I've encountered in quite some time.

As soon as I read the post, I thought, This is my type of book. And when I looked it up at Amazon, I discovered that, lo and behold, I own the Kindle version (I'm guessing it was a First Reads selection?) and the Audible upgrade is only $1.99! Yay!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:34 AM   #3134
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Try the podcast if you didn't like the narrator. Frankly, I think his books are very much aural stories. I think that's what I like about them, in part. Even reading them, it feels like he's in the room, telling me a story.
I tracked down the podcast and listened to the first 4. I agree, I like his narration better. I can't really put my finger on why though.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:17 PM   #3135
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I tracked down the podcast and listened to the first 4. I agree, I like his narration better. I can't really put my finger on why though.
My understanding is that the early novels were first a podcast, then ebooks. If you like the podcasts, go with them. You'll be good for several novels worth, at least.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations