Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I like my Google Speaker, but have no interest in any of their Alexa devices.
I don't want either. Also quite happy with our Rokus, so don't have an interest in Fire TV. I do occasionally use my Fire tablet, but Alexa is turned off — or is it?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:20 PM   #17
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
What's sad about this is we all know how unlikely this is, but that is probably near the top of the wishlist for so many of us from what I have seen here, on other forums, and on e-reader sites.
Too true, but maybe next year. Too bad there aren't more people reading on e-ink.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2019, 03:54 PM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I like Amazon as a store. But I don't care about any of their hardware.

Kindles are okay, but I prefer Kobo, even though I buy my books from Amazon.
I'm a little bit the opposite. I like Amazon Kindles (not as much as Tolinos) but I don't want to do most of my book shopping at Amazon (even though it's convenient). This is mainly because I want other companies to survive.

My main "problem" with Kobos is that they're so "tweakable." Unfortunately, I've found that if I can tweak, I will tweak, almost obsessively — and it gets a bit tiring. The other advantages (for me) with Kindles is that I like the dictionary and the screens seem more touch sensitive (though I think the latest Kobo firmware has improved this on my Touch). The one main disadvantage of the Kindle is that it defaults to too wide of margins (I keep wanting to choose a smaller margin when I've been reading on another reader and go to a Kindle).

But, basically, I like all my readers. Especially the one I happen to be using at the time.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:56 PM   #19
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:

Kindles are okay, but I prefer Kobo, even though I buy my books from Amazon.

I have a Fire tablet, but didn't care for it. It sits uncharged.

I like my Google Speaker, but have no interest in any of their Alexa devices.

Am I the only one?
Well....I still haven't bought an eInk device...nor the FirePhone. I do like my echo dots, I love my FireTv Stick's and Fire Tablets.

Then again, I am now SLIGHTLY leaning in favor of my Walmart Onn tablet with regular non-skinned Android 9.0.

I could be enticed by an upgraded FireTab 8". Though I really shouldn't. I have too many of them already and ever since I got the iPad Mini with 256gig storage....I haven't used my Fire Tab nor my Walmart tablet that much. Used to be they were my "go to" for traveling and media consumption due to the memory expansion card. I simply have plenty enough storage on the iPad now.

What NEW could Amazon put out? A Smart Watch? Why not? An Amazon branded tv made by Amazon and not just rebadged? An Amazon Echo sound bar/sub woofer? A premium speaker version of an Amazon Echo?
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:22 PM   #20
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a bunch of Kindles, including 3 of the latest Paperwhites. And many other earlier models. Also Kobos and Nooks. But more and more I'm reading on my phone with Moon+ reader.

With my current book I decided to read on a Paperwhite and sync with the Kindle app on my phone when I'm away from the house. I did that till today when I was away for the first time and did a few minutes reading on my phone. Now I'm not sure I'll go back to the Paperwhite for this book.

I like the simplicity of the book in my pocket. My phone lives in my shirt pocket and my book is right there. Back in my paperback days I always had my book in my hip pocket. I don't think I realized how much I missed that till a couple years ago when I tried reading on my phone.

I'm wondering about the future of ereaders. The ereader blogs have all but shut down and these forums don't seem nearly as active as they used to be. Ereaders have matured so that there aren't any very interesting changes anymore. Compare the change from the Voyage to the Oasis, the biggest change in a few years, to the change from the Kindle 4 to the Paperwhite, a huge change by comparison.

There just doesn't seem to be much interest in the technology as technology anymore. Of course the point of it is reading books and that doesn't seem to be waning so maybe none of this matters.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2019, 08:17 PM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I'm wondering about the future of ereaders. The ereader blogs have all but shut down and these forums don't seem nearly as active as they used to be. Ereaders have matured so that there aren't any very interesting changes anymore. Compare the change from the Voyage to the Oasis, the biggest change in a few years, to the change from the Kindle 4 to the Paperwhite, a huge change by comparison.

There just doesn't seem to be much interest in the technology as technology anymore. Of course the point of it is reading books and that doesn't seem to be waning so maybe none of this matters.

Barry
Quite a few people just read on their smartphones or tablets. They don't seem to care about LCD vs LED vs eInk. Their phones work just fine, especially since the trend is toward larger phones these days.

Interest in eInk devices is definitely waning. Using Black Friday as a gauge for popularity, eInk took a big hit last year. Outside of Amazon, Kobo, and Nook, only a couple of retailers had any ereaders on sale and it was usually a 3rd Gen Paperwhite.

In the past, ereaders were quite popular and most stores that sold handheld devices (phones, tablets, etc), also had multiple ereaders on sale. Not so anymore. This Black Friday, I don't expect to see any 3rd party retailers selling ereaders. If you want one, go to the source.

Since I prefer audiobooks, I'm quite happy with the choices I have available these days - cheap Android no-contract phones and cheap Echo Dots. For reading, I'm satisfied using the cheapest Kindle Amazon has available. Currently, I'm using a 7th Gen basic Kindle from 2014.

For me, the future of books looks quite bright
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #22
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
I'm only interested in a color eink reader
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:47 PM   #23
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
An Amazon branded tv made by Amazon and not just rebadged?
Rebadged would be fine. Not that it has to say "Amazon" on the TV, but that it is a name brand TV with built in FireTV OS. Roku built into the TV is available from most brands except Samsung and Sony. Not sure if any would be interested to do that. Might be too late for Amazon to try compete with builtin Roku. Roku is a big step up from the clunky first iteration of smart tvs.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:14 AM   #24
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Quote:

Kindles are okay, but I prefer Kobo, even though I buy my books from Amazon
You can do this? Only ever holding me back from trying other device was the A,mason bookstore.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #25
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
As for ereaders, long time kindle user. But in last year got a iPad Pro and iPad mini (spoiled I know). I switched completely to them (other than using audible) as reading comics ,u h better in vibrant color. However in the last couple of weeks I picked up my oasis 2 again for reading text and do notice the difference in experience with eye strain. So when switching from audible to reading I am picking up oasis again at least for now.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:16 AM   #26
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I read on my tablet. I find a phone to small for me to enjoy reading on. I will read on it though, if I some how forget to bring my book.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:57 PM   #27
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
You can do this? Only ever holding me back from trying other device was the A,mason bookstore.
Yes, easily.

I download my books using Kindle for PC and drag them into Calibre with the deDRM plug ins.

There's a learning curve on the initial set-up (though really, you can have that done in about fifteen minutes) and then it's set forever.

I'm able to buy nooks from Amazon, Kobo or B&N and convert them with Calibre to use on any device I wish.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:40 PM   #28
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Yes, easily.

I download my books using Kindle for PC and drag them into Calibre with the deDRM plug ins.

There's a learning curve on the initial set-up (though really, you can have that done in about fifteen minutes) and then it's set forever.

I'm able to buy nooks from Amazon, Kobo or B&N and convert them with Calibre to use on any device I wish.
As I recently learned....that's "if you keep your Kindle version at a certain point"....a point that has already passed. Otherwise it's a constant battle...or at least a "sometimes great hassle".

I would not recommend buying an eInk reader from anyone other than the place you buy most of your ebooks from.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:05 PM   #29
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
As I recently learned....that's "if you keep your Kindle version at a certain point"....a point that has already passed. Otherwise it's a constant battle...or at least a "sometimes great hassle".
Yeah, that is why I never bothered with Kindle for PC. It might be easier once it is setup, but I just got used to download the books from the webpage for transfer via usb for an eink Kindle that stays registered to my account. Works on any OS, windows, macos, linux the same without jumping through hoops.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:54 AM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I think you make it sound more risky than it is. I've had Kindle for PC installed for years In Tools, Options I unchecked 'Automatically install updates" and that's all the tinkering I've ever done.

If you like the Amazon market, but you aren't crazy about Kindles, it's worth trying it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote