Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Shady dealings at Night Shade?

There's an interesting post at The Speculative Scotsman about alleged stolen rights to an ebook under Night Shade at Baen books.

More information at the author's website.

Quote:
Basically, despite the great things Night Shade Books has done for this book, this is not a publisher I can do business with anymore. They are either unable or unwilling to honor their contracts.

Night Shade has stolen the ebook rights to The Mall of Cthulhu. They do not own them and are offering an electronic edition for sale through webscription.net, which is affiliated with Baen Books, a real publisher who should know better. Nine months ago, Night Shade made a verbal offer to pay me a small sum for the rights. I agreed. They've never paid me. They claimed their unauthorized edition was an oversight, and that was somewhat credible at the time. Nine months later, it's clear that this is not an oversight. It's a theft of my intellectual property.
Doesn't sound too nice, particularly since Baen get largely glowing praise from customers.

Anyway thought it might be of interest.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Do we have any kind of response from Night Shade? I think we should here both sides before deciding who support (or boycott) in this issue.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
As I understand it, webscription.net originated with Baen, and is affiliated with Baen, but is not actually Baen. They also sell ebooks from Baen's competitors, such as Tor and Del Rey. They're a bookstore which sells books from publishers with whom they have sales arrangements, just like Amazon or Smashwords. So suggesting a boycott of Baen because another publisher who sells through the same bookstore has been accused of not giving an author an accurate royalty statement is a bit much. For that matter, so would be boycotting Borders, which sells Night Shade's pbook of the same novel.

It seems to me that this is between the author and the publisher, not between us and any bookstore (e- or p-) that the publisher sells the books through. If we boycotted every bookstore that sold any book that was at the center of a dispute between a publisher and an author (not to mention an agent that the author admits "isn't the brightest bulb") we wouldn't be able to buy any books at all.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Do we have any kind of response from Night Shade? I think we should here both sides before deciding who support (or boycott) in this issue.
Yes I wasn't sure whether to post it without any information from the other side of the argument but I thought I'd just pass on the news at least.

Hopefully it's an easily explained situation.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
It seems to me that this is between the author and the publisher, not between us and any bookstore (e- or p-) that the publisher sells the books through.
Indeed. I don't see Baen/webscriptions as having any guilt here at all.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Baen's completely in the clear here, and for my money so's Arnold Bailey who runs webscriptions. Nightshade tells him they have the rights, he signs contract and offers book for sale.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #7
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
Well, if it's true he could send webscriptions a DMCA takedown notice, that should prompt some action from somebody.
mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #8
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
There is more about the complaints about Nightshade on this blog (fans of RASFW will recognize the name):
http://james-nicoll.livejournal.com/2525655.html

There is a Publishers Weekly blog post about the complaints and a response from Nightshade.

I really hope this works out. I like a lot of the books they offer, and I'd hate to see them fall apart as so many other small presses have done. I was also sad to see that Prime Books has come under similar criticism as I like much of what they offer as well.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote