Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-29-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
jgirvine
jgirvine began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
calibre not recognizing that k2 is connected

I get an error message saying "cannot send: no device is connected"
I am running Windows XP. Windows see the device and I can drag something to it.

I did a search on this forum but everything I found was "greek geek" to me. (55 year old, non computer lady). I saw the video on the Calibre over on the Kindle board and this is just what I need, but I have to figure out what I am doing wrong first. HELP!!!!!

Thanks
Ginny
jgirvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Does windows recognize your Kindle. That is when you plug it in does it open in windows explorer?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
jgirvine

Yes, my desktop does see the kindle, and I can click on the folders and view them in WinXP explorer. So not sure what the problem is, but, that said, after messing with it awhile, I decided to try it on my netbook running xp. Did just fine. After thinking about it I decided it would do for me just as well to run it on the netbook, so, I am good with that and wont' worry about the desktop. You have written a great program.

One question, why did I setup the email? I don't see an option to email myself a book. (I assume I can sign into gmail from the Kindle?)

What would be the best would be the able to have Calibre down load a newspaper and then email it to me on my kindle. Then when I am traveling for work, I could have the newspaper every day. Are you considering this?

Thanks
Ginny
Old 07-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There's a bug in the current calibre release that cause the email settings you do in the welcome wizard to not "stick". You have to redo them in the preferences dialog (or just wait for the next release and re-run the welcome wizard by clicking the arrow next to the preferences button).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
jgirvine

So, if the email is working correectly, can it download me a news choice and then email it to me on my gmail account and I would be able to open and download on the Kindle?
Ginny
Advert