Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 04-26-2009, 11:39 PM   #1
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Surf the Internet (Revisited) - sort of!

Without much fanfare and with absolutely no warning, the eBook Technologies' (ETI) servers now appear to allow any ebook being read on the reader (eBookwise 1150 or REB1200) to retrieve webpages directly from within.

This tidbit was recently added to the REB 1200 by Wiki member Rune B. He discovered that after accessing his Online Bookshelf, his Baen ebooks (that were converted by him to .imp format) allowed him to access the Baen Webscriptions.net webpage. Now, while it might retrieve the page, it is not a pretty sight (and unfortunately crashes frequently). Try experimenting with the attached ebook (basically my Index.html page for Impserve) which allows many common weblinks or this previously posted ebook ( Cousins, Adrienne: Kindle Bookmarks v0.11, Sep 3,2008 .imp ebook with PDA-friendly links... ). Actually, using mobile site weblinks, like www.mobileread.mobi, might be preferable.

This type of web access, following internet hyperlinks from within ebooks, is exactly what Impserve allows, although, the Impserve browsing/converting experience is much more satisfying.

But at least now we can access the internet without any additional software as now that ability has been "turned on" by ETI. (Perhaps after being "inspired" or "revealed" by Impserve!)

Thanks Guys (I think)!

p.s. For this to work, you need to access your Online Bookshelf first, then the ebook with the web hyperlinks. If this type of internet access is intriguing for you, please do try Impserve and install its plugins, for a more satisfying experience!!!
Attached Files
File Type: imp Internet Access Index.imp (13.1 KB, 673 views)
File Type: imp Internet Access Index_1200.imp (12.4 KB, 623 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 04-26-2009 at 11:47 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
Although it was more of a proof of concept to begin with wasn't it? I mean I've tried to surf the web on the 1150 and sure it works, but when your hooked up to the computer with USB anyway...

Okay sure free dialup access if you use the modem, but your still paying LD, and as you say it crashes so often you couldn't even check email on it.

Let's get ETI working on an updated 1150 with a LCD more like the Jetbook but keep the backlight as an option!
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shighfield View Post
Although it was more of a proof of concept to begin with wasn't it? I mean I've tried to surf the web on the 1150 and sure it works, but when your hooked up to the computer with USB anyway...
Yes, I have to admit the whole internet experience on the EBW1150 is not very nice to behold. However, this concept was originally discovered and used on the REB1200 and on that reader it IS a worthwhile venture, that is, ethernet cable excepted!!! If I only had a wireless RJ45 plug to use with the REB1200's ethernet jack, it would be a truly liberating experience i.e. not attached to the computer's ethernet cable!

Quote:
Okay sure free dialup access if you use the modem, but your still paying LD, and as you say it crashes so often you couldn't even check email on it.
True, this really isn't usable on the EBW1150, but perhaps another reason to own a REB1200 as well!

Quote:
Let's get ETI working on an updated 1150 with a LCD more like the Jetbook but keep the backlight as an option!
Amen! Their e-ink prototype needs to see the light of day... sidelight that is!
Old 04-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

I keep forgetting how much better the 1200 is.

That would be great, e-ink with their normal user interface and the side light.
<drool> See I liked the PRS700 with the exception of that pesky dust issue which just made me insane. Heck I wouldn't even mind if they only offered IMP format again on it.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shighfield View Post
I keep forgetting how much better the 1200 is.
Actually, the REB1200 is quite robust, handling this internet surfing WITHOUT crashing, huge ebooks with hyperlink overload and even gigantic 50+ MB ebooks!

If only the EBW1150 could get a bit more (say double) internal RAM to work with; it would fair better!

Quote:
That would be great, e-ink with their normal user interface and the side light.
<drool> See I liked the PRS700 with the exception of that pesky dust issue which just made me insane. Heck I wouldn't even mind if they only offered IMP format again on it.
Last I heard from ETI, .imp WAS their format of choice for their next ebook hardware reader. Hopefully that happens sooner than later. Of course, colour e-ink WOULD be nice...
Advert
Old 04-28-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?

Colour e-ink would be nice, but you know... a high quality LCD screen would also be fine by me. The whole eye strain thing doesn't really affect me too much, by the time my eyes are really tired I should be sleeping anyway.

The IMP format while it's a bit different doesn't bother me as once you spend 10 mins and install your software it's easy to convert just about anything into IMP, and besides, Fictionwise offers it already. (For DRM I'm sure they could be sweet talked into supporting a new product by ETI on the ebookwise side of things...)

Ah well, one can dream.