Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-01-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
RWJ
Zealot
RWJ doesn't litterRWJ doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
prc2lrf for a public library book

OK, I've downloaded an ebook on loan from my local public library, which was in DRM'd mobi. I dedrm'd it so I can read it on my Sony, and then used calibre to put it into LRF. Out of curiosity, does this convert the expiration date too? It's moot in this case because, like all mobi books at my library, it's an "always available" book (not sure how that works) - the ones that you have to go on a wait list for, that are presumably restricted to a certain number of borrowers, are all in Adobe DE. So it's easy to "renew" if it still expires on the reader, ie just redownload it and convert it. But I'm wondering how the expiry is inserted into the metadata, and if it is still applicable when it's in lrf format.
Thanks,
R
RWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Once you've removed the DRM, the time limit is gone. So you now have a fully DRM free eBook. And converting it to LRF won't matter as DRM free is DRM free.

What happens is the library shows the book to be out until the time limit is up and then it automatically goes back on the virtual shelf. Usually the time limit is 14 days.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Just remember to be compliant and delete the ebook after the time limit expires unless you check it out again. Removing DRM should only be done so you can format shift for your device, not to increase your ebook collection for free.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Just remember to be compliant and delete the ebook after the time limit expires unless you check it out again. Removing DRM should only be done so you can format shift for your device, not to increase your ebook collection for free.

BOb
Well said, Bob.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
RWJ
Zealot
RWJ doesn't litterRWJ doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Thanks very much, all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Agreed. (Although I suspect I will just read it and delete it, which will likely happen within the borrowing period.)

I hope the library keeps moving in this direction.
RWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert