Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #1
lmelton01
lmelton01 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
New Member- Searching for Books

Greetings, everyone. I'm in Roseville, CA & have a PRS-505.

I'm trying to find compatible books by these authors without much success:
James Clavell
John Steinbeck
Frederick Forsyth
J.R.R. Tolkien
Tom Clancy
Leon Uris

There are so many places to look & the compatibility issues boggle my brain. I have no problem paying for these, so "free" sites are nice but not required.
Any help with this will be most appreciated...
lmelton01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:06 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Of the authors in the your list, you won't find any legal eBooks by at least Forsyth, Tolkien, or Clancy. Those authors (or their estates) have all refused to permit their works to be published as eBooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2008, 06:56 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There seem to be a number of Steinbeck's works at the Sony eBook store.

Most publishers still require DRM, so for your Sony that means buying from the Sony Store.

However, you should certainly look at the Calibre project

http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/

Which is ebook library software that can convert from a variety of (non-DRM) formats into the format used by Sony. This should help for books you can't get from the Sony Store, but which are available in , say, Multiformats at Fictionwise.com.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmelton01 View Post

I'm trying to find compatible books by these authors without much success:
James Clavell
John Steinbeck
Frederick Forsyth
J.R.R. Tolkien
Tom Clancy
Leon Uris

There are so many places to look & the compatibility issues boggle my brain. I have no problem paying for these, so "free" sites are nice but not required.
Any help with this will be most appreciated...
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi lmelton01 and welcome to the Forum. Have looked all over for Clancy but no luck
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:31 PM   #5
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmelton01 View Post
eBooks.com has Steinbeck and Uris, and a single Frederick Forsyth book. I didn't check the format of all of the books but most of them seemed to be available in Adobe DRM (PDF) format. Have you updated your firmware?

Also you may want to check your local libraries to see if they allow for lending of e content.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert