Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
guspasho
Connoisseur
guspasho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Split words when converting epub to mobi

I can't find another topic that covers this already.

I converted an epub book to mobi format, and I don't have the words to properly describe what happened, so here is a screenshot.

I can't read the epub version on my device (which is why I converted it in the first place) but the Calibre viewer for the epub version shows that this doesn't happen, that it doesn't default to breaking up words at the end of a line. Additionally, the Introduction survived the conversion just fine, there are no broken words at the line breaks, it's the rest of the book that has the problem.

I converted using both 0.8.49 and 0.8.50. I also attached the epub file if that helps anyone troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry about the sideways screenshots, they didn't appear that way until after I uploaded them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0959.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	803.1 KB
ID:	86262   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0960.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	860.9 KB
ID:	86263  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Sacred_Economics__Money__Gift__and_Society_in_the_Age_of_Transition.epub (795.6 KB, 213 views)
guspasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by guspasho View Post
I can't find another topic that covers this already.

I converted an epub book to mobi format, and I don't have the words to properly describe what happened, so here is a screenshot.

I can't read the epub version on my device (which is why I converted it in the first place) but the Calibre viewer for the epub version shows that this doesn't happen, that it doesn't default to breaking up words at the end of a line. Additionally, the Introduction survived the conversion just fine, there are no broken words at the line breaks, it's the rest of the book that has the problem.

I converted using both 0.8.49 and 0.8.50. I also attached the epub file if that helps anyone troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry about the sideways screenshots, they didn't appear that way until after I uploaded them.
I don't know what YOUR readers viewer will do:

you have 2 styles (valid), 2 different Text align values (also valid, cascade rules imply the last, justify, should prevail )

Then there is the whitespace: normal (I would comment that out and see what results)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
The problem centers on the style="white-spacere-wrap" attribute in the <DIV> tag that wraps the whole contents of the <BODY>. Deleting this eliminates the problem.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote