Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Should voting results be hidden or visible in 2012?
All Book Club Polls in 2012 should be Hidden. 17 47.22%
All Book Club Polls in 2012 should be Viewable. 7 19.44%
Each month, we should alternate between Hidden and Viewable. 10 27.78%
Other (Please explain in comments). 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
To see or not to see: 2012 Voting

The purpose of this poll is to find out how people are liking the hidden vote, and decide whether we wish to keep it in 2012, go back to the way things were, mix it up a bit, or find some other way of doing things.

There are four choices:

All Book Club Polls in 2012 should be Hidden.

All Book club Polls in 2012 should be Viewable.

Each month, we should alternate between hidden and open voting.

Other (Please explain in comments).

NOTE: The actual numbers in the poll are different from the number of people who voted on each question because one member asked if they could change their vote.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-22-2011 at 10:41 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Could we please stick to the current method of barrack-room lawyering by Jon and others? It really is very entertaining.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
The one thing that I see lacking in the poll option is being able to have a first, second, and third choice. So you can say ------- would be your first choice but if nobody else votes for that your vote would be carried over to you second choice.

So you could still vote for the book that you really want to read even though it's not doing so great in the current votes. I think that would mean less wasted votes.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
The one thing that I see lacking in the poll option is being able to have a first, second, and third choice. So you can say ------- would be your first choice but if nobody else votes for that your vote would be carried over to you second choice.

So you could still vote for the book that you really want to read even though it's not doing so great in the current votes. I think that would mean less wasted votes.
Yes! Preferential/Ranked voting!! Can we vote on that next please, Tom, or open it to discussion now? I know the suggestion has been brought up more than once.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would be suspect if open polling won. I would be thinking these people don't mind having their opinions taken from them.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Could we please stick to the current method of barrack-room lawyering by Jon and others? It really is very entertaining.
We'll only get that in the nomination thread. No longer in the vote thread. So if you voted for open voting because of that, you've wasted your vote.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #7
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Yes! Preferential/Ranked voting!! Can we vote on that next please, Tom, or open it to discussion now? I know the suggestion has been brought up more than once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would be suspect if open polling won. I would be thinking these people don't mind having their opinions taken from them.
See what I mean!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:

Yes, such a proportional system would be very good. Say after the initial vote take the top to in the running (A & B) and then to each total add those who selected neither of those two, but selected A or B as 2nd choice. Unlike what some claim here a straight hidden poll does not necessarily select the book most people want. With ten books to select from a plurality of voters can select a book that would not have been the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, . . choice of a majority of voters. The problem is that I do not believe this can be done with the current polling software?

So this does not mean I voted for the "other" option. I figure like King Solomon split the baby in two and make everyone at least partly happy.

Last edited by Hamlet53; 11-21-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Yes, such a proportional system would be very good. Say after the initial vote take the top to in the running (A & B) and then to each total add those who selected neither of those two, but selected A or B as 2nd choice. Unlike what some claim here a straight hidden poll does not necessarily select the book most people want. With ten books to select from a plurality of voters can select a book that would not have been the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, . . choice of a majority of voters. The problem is that I do not believe this can be done with the current polling software?
It cannot.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #10
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's gotta be other. Basically it's a hidden poll, but at various times you can see part of the results. Like on Tuesdays between 3:45 and 3:47 (GMT) you can see the votes for the odd-numbered books, but only if they were nominated by someone who's avatar has the colour green in it, then on Thursday between 18:23 and 18:25 (GMT) you can see the votes for the even-numbered books, but only if they were nominated by someone who's avatar has the colour red in it. Unless of course all the books were nominated by people with the colour yellow in their avatar and then the first, third and eight book are always hidden regardless of previous times and colours. If one of the titles contains the word black then it's voting result can be seen all the time unless your forum name begins with B, D, U, or M in which case you only see book number seven's results on odd-numbered days in non-leap years.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #11
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tom, can I change my answer?
Old 11-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Tom, can I change my answer?
I don't have the power to do that, but let me ask one of the Administrators and see if they can. They have powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal moderators. Just in case they can (it is an open vote), what would you like to change it to?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I don't have the power to do that, but let me ask one of the Administrators and see if they can. They have powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal moderators. Just in case they can (it is an open vote), what would you like to change it to?
I would like to choose: "All Book Club Polls in 2012 should be Hidden. ". As much as I like my original choice, I think my new choice would be best. Its less work/remembering for you & dreams and overall more fun for me. Please and Thank You for asking the powers that be.

Last edited by Nyssa; 11-21-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Remember my manners.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:10 PM   #14
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
It's gotta be other. Basically it's a hidden poll, but at various times you can see part of the results. Like on Tuesdays between 3:45 and 3:47 (GMT) you can see the votes for the odd-numbered books, but only if they were nominated by someone who's avatar has the colour green in it, then on Thursday between 18:23 and 18:25 (GMT) you can see the votes for the even-numbered books, but only if they were nominated by someone who's avatar has the colour red in it. Unless of course all the books were nominated by people with the colour yellow in their avatar and then the first, third and eight book are always hidden regardless of previous times and colours. If one of the titles contains the word black then it's voting result can be seen all the time unless your forum name begins with B, D, U, or M in which case you only see book number seven's results on odd-numbered days in non-leap years.
This idea sounds fantastic! Although, I find it very disconcerting that you make no allowance for avatars with the colour orange...

(I tried to give you karma for making me laugh but apparently you were the last person I gave any to so it won't let me)
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:12 AM   #15
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
This idea sounds fantastic! Although, I find it very disconcerting that you make no allowance for avatars with the colour orange...

(I tried to give you karma for making me laugh but apparently you were the last person I gave any to so it won't let me)
Done.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote