Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Latest Android marketplace

I've been trying to get the Android marketplace to work without much success. I had planned on just copying a version on one of our test phones at work, but thought whynot try the latest honeycomb version that works on 2.2.

I downloaded a copy and it installed and runs just fine. UI very similiar to Win7.

I start a download, but it never completes (it doesn't say it failed and it looks like it's trying. The old marketplace would tell me the download was unsuccessful). I only spent about 10 mins on it. You can revert by uninstalling updates.

If anyone is adventurous, give it a try:

http://www.4shared.com/file/kyNUMuu_...ding-new.html?

Gary

Last edited by garyhgaryh; 07-16-2011 at 03:50 PM. Reason: fix many typos.
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
garyhgaryh
Zealot

BTW, I was able to uninstall the latest marketplace by just doing an uninstall so if you install and don't like the latest version, you can uninstall it and have your old version in operation in no-time.

I uninstalled because I could not cancel a download. It would start a download and just sit there.. In the old version, I get a return message "Download was unsuccessful, please try again." In the newer version, I get no such message.

I reverted to the older market place just so I can log any errors and I noticed I'm getting the folliowing:

com.android.vending.model.GetAssetRequest. Response=INTERNAL_SERVICE_ERROR

I'll be updating to the newer marketplace from the above again later tonight or tomorrow and will log that error and see what I get.

Not sure if I'm getting INTERNAL_SERVICE_ERROR from the marketplace server or from my own machine...

Doing a little research on that right now.
Gary

Last edited by garyhgaryh; 07-16-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: fixed more typos. I tend to have more typos on the PE.
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
Just to clarify - did the new market start working without the need for another Android phone? If that's the case, you might have solved our Android market problems!

Keep us updated on your research.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyminot View Post
Just to clarify - did the new market start working without the need for another Android phone? If that's the case, you might have solved our Android market problems!

Keep us updated on your research.
I have been unable to get either version to work. I don't have a Droid phone available to me so I'm interested in getting it to work. I get hung up on the unstable data connection thingy. Kind of dumb for Google to rely on a phone connection when more and more non-phone devices are now using android OS...
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTec View Post
I have been unable to get either version to work. I don't have a Droid phone available to me so I'm interested in getting it to work. I get hung up on the unstable data connection thingy. Kind of dumb for Google to rely on a phone connection when more and more non-phone devices are now using android OS...
You can get around that by using my backup from my guide here: link, it doesn't use the new marketplace though, so you'll have to install over that...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Hmmm . . . if you do the YouTube fix and then install the new market, will it get around the need to have another phone?????!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Quote:
Hmmm . . . if you do the YouTube fix and then install the new market, will it get around the need to have another phone?????!!!!!!!!!
Kenny, what is the youtube fix? My youtube is working.

I think the other issue I'm having is that I don't have an Android phone associated with my account. For kicks last week, I tried downloaded an app from the android website to my pc and it said my account has no device associated with it. I need to at least resolve that because if I cannot download from the website why would I expect to be able to download from the Android app?

If I take my work phone and log in to the droid market place, would that be enough? I want to be able to log out and then give the phone back to our QA w/o my account being associated with that phone (I don't want an intern downloading paid software on my dime under my account).

To answer your 1st question, the new marketplace does run, but I cannot download.

Gary
Old 07-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
kennyminot
Groupie

The problem with the market is that the Google servers literally block the device from going through the registration process. Due to the fact that they wanted to have some control over the tablet industry, they denied access to a wide range of devices. As such, most eDGE users won't even be able to get past entering their account information. To get around this, we've been using another Android phone that already has market access--essentially, using a device that already has gone through the registration process. For some reason, the market works when you use this approach. However, to this point, we haven't been able to figure out how to get the market to work for the folk who don't have an Android phone. The new market application might fix this problem, although it sounds like MasterTec was still having trouble registering his Google account.

A "workaround" to this problem is to use the official YouTube application to register your account. While this enables you to use some of the other gapps (like Gmail), it still does not enable the market. So here's what I'd do (if your market still doesn't work): go into YouTube, hit the menu button, select "My Channel," and then enable your Google account (make sure that you type in the "@gmail.com" after your username). Then, try to use the new Market app and see if it actually gives you access.

Also, make sure you have the other gapps (particularly Google Talk and GoogleServicesFramework) installed before you give this a shot. If you want to fool around with the Market, I highly recommend reading both the tweaks thread and emusan's installation process. You'll find out where to download all the other gapps and how other people have went about trying to solve the problem.

Last edited by kennyminot; 07-16-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #9
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Quote:
The problem with the market is that the Google servers
Is it just me or does Kenny's avatar kind of look like capt picard behind a terminal when you look at it out of the corner of your eye?
Old 07-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #10
kennyminot
Groupie

LOL - that's a flattering comparison. Patrick Stewart is a pretty good-looking bald guy. I, on the other hand, am quite pudgy. That picture is actually me working at a Mexican restaurant.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #11
MasterTec
Connoisseur

Nice! The red lines in the background kind of look like some of the decor used on the Enterprise and the laptop looks like one of the ship's terminals. If you take the time to actually look at it it looks very little like Patrick Stewart but a quick glance across it makes me think of him.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #12
garyhgaryh
Zealot

I believe the issue with marketplace is that we need to somehow link our google account to the market.

I know that I cannot download via the website because my account is not tied to the marketplace via a phone.

It seems, to me, that everyone that has gotten marketplace to work on their PE have gotten it to work with a previous working account on another android device that they moved over to the PE.

I found another thread with a craigs tablet that can access the market place (comes originally with no access to the market place).

How can we get this screen to pop up with 2.2?

If we can link our accounts up this way, our market place will work, I'm almost sure of it .

Gary

Last edited by garyhgaryh; 07-21-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #13
thinredline
Connoisseur
thinredline doesn't litterthinredline doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Pocket Edge, Nookd Simple Touch Glowlight, NGP
I use Youtube work around and Gmail, Youtube, Reader, etc. are working but no market. The market can be opened and browsed but download is always failed. I tried market enabler trying to fake T-mobile or Verizon user but still no luck. Kind of stuck here. Some of apps just cannot be installed without market such as etrade.
thinredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #14
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinredline View Post
I use Youtube work around and Gmail, Youtube, Reader, etc. are working but no market. The market can be opened and browsed but download is always failed. I tried market enabler trying to fake T-mobile or Verizon user but still no luck. Kind of stuck here. Some of apps just cannot be installed without market such as etrade.
I got all gmail apps to work except market. When i try downloading an app from the marketplace using the browser, I get the error message saying my account wasn't linked.
I believe this error on the web is what's causing my "download is unsuccesful" message when using the app to download on the PE. The above google account setup screen is what allows us to link our accounts to the market place.

Just because we can log in using youtube to get access to gmail, youtube, etc, does not link our account to our PE.

I'm new to android so I wish I knew which module to use to get this.

I know where to get custom ROMs for the tablet pictured, but I'm not sure if I can use it to pull apps or apk files off to run off our PE.

If my theory is correct, if we can get that screen to come up and setup our accounts, we should be able to get market place working - meaning the ability to download.

Any android experts out there?

Gary
Old 07-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #15
garyhgaryh
Zealot

That screen is called the setup wizard.... Is that available in ermine?