Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
josephpotts
josephpotts began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Selecting files loction on Kobo Vox

I cannot find a way to modify the location that a pdf is downloaded to on my Kobo Vox. I convert it to a epub format and then transfer it to my Vox and there seems to be no way that I can control where it is sent (it goes to "ebooks- import".

it is not that this doesn't work when I then go in and transfer the file to BlueFire or Aldiko, but I cannot get the Kobo reader to see it. I am not sure where i need to send it to for the Kobo reader to see it and put in its library, but i cannot even experiment because I don't know how to change the destination.

Any help would be welcome.
josephpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephpotts View Post
I cannot find a way to modify the location that a pdf is downloaded to on my Kobo Vox. I convert it to a epub format and then transfer it to my Vox and there seems to be no way that I can control where it is sent (it goes to "ebooks- import".

it is not that this doesn't work when I then go in and transfer the file to BlueFire or Aldiko, but I cannot get the Kobo reader to see it. I am not sure where i need to send it to for the Kobo reader to see it and put in its library, but i cannot even experiment because I don't know how to change the destination.

Any help would be welcome.
Save or Send to Device Templates
You can use literals as well as Calibre fields

Code:
My Fiction/{title}
is valid (syntax. No clue as to what Kobo allows )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
josephpotts

That is part of my problem. I cannot find any place in Calibre where I can modify the destination folder. How do you do that?
Old 01-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That is part of my problem. I cannot find any place in Calibre where I can modify the destination folder. How do you do that?
Preferences: Saving... or Sending...
Read the online help section for templates
for more complicated templates
Old 01-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
josephpotts

Okay, I now know where to look, but as I read through the template tutorial (admittedly this is not my field of expertise) I see nothing about file folders. all is see is about creating customized meta data for the file it self.

My problem is twofold. I cannot see how to change the destination and I don't know where to put the file so that the default Kobo Reader will see it.

i thought I would start with the first problem first, but I can't seem to find what must be obvious to others.
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Okay, I now know where to look, but as I read through the template tutorial (admittedly this is not my field of expertise) I see nothing about file folders. all is see is about creating customized meta data for the file it self.

My problem is twofold. I cannot see how to change the destination and I don't know where to put the file so that the default Kobo Reader will see it.

i thought I would start with the first problem first, but I can't seem to find what must be obvious to others.
I have a feeling, that you are trying to override the expected behaviour for the Kobo (unless the VOX) is way different).
Preferences:Plugins: Device Drivers: (Kobo)
is another place you can place the template (very useful if you have more than 1 brand)

do you understand the term 'Literal' as used in a template?
Literals can be used to create/use branches (sub folders), but not go back to the root
Old 01-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
josephpotts

I don't get the literals (or how to insert them or where to insert them or what they would say) but let me explain a bit more. My brother-in-law also got a Kobo Vox. We both have PDF documents that we wanted to read on the Vox.

We both downloaded and then converted to epub the files we wanted to send to the Vox (using Calibre). So far so good.

We both have the default Kobo Reader and have added Bluefire and Aldiko as readers. For reasons unknown to him, his PDF (converted to epub) files seem to go to Kobo Pegasus and then show up in his Kobo reader's library. My exported files go to eBooks/import.

From this point (eBooks/import) I can use the file manager on the Kobo to get them into the libraries for the Bluefire Reader or the Aldiko reader. But this seems like a lot of trouble that might be avoided if I could just download the files to the right place to begin with.

One other thing is that the files in the Kobo Pegasus folder are all very long letter-number strings.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
josephpotts

I think I have it sort of figured out. It may not make any difference where the file is imported to because within the Kobo reader there is an option to "import" the files into the reader from where ever they are on the DS card. It also gives the option of deleting them from the import after copying/importing them.

It reminds me of the controls for a watch versus the computer. They make sense once you see them but they don't operate according to the way I think about these things.