Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2006, 01:02 PM   #16
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeister0
The only thing I find disconcerting is the flash to a full black screen as part of the page change.
Actually, i read somewhere that this kind of pageturn is not even necessary. You could change the eink image without using the black intermediate. But that would leave slight ghost images from the last page. I personally would like to see, how bad those ghostings are, because the page turns are supposed to be faster aswell. (might depend on the processor, and could have been a development product, where this was mentioned)
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:47 AM   #17
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

That ghosting was one of the complaints I heard about the Libre.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2006, 11:18 AM   #18
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I wonder if they could change the "flash to black" for a "flash to white", it would look less obvious. I wonder also if the flashing counts as a page turn energywise.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:33 AM   #19
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey guys ! instead of wayting on every company to see what they come up with, why don't we come up with a collective list of prerequisites and post it to them telling what the thing should be like ?
Old 07-14-2006, 11:38 AM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
I wonder if they could change the "flash to black" for a "flash to white", it would look less obvious. I wonder also if the flashing counts as a page turn energywise.
From comments I've seen from the HanLin folks (same actual screen on theirs), they basically have two type of screen refresh available: Full and Half (for lack of better terms).

Apparently the Half is faster, uses lest power and doesn't flash to black, but it has some ghosting.

The Full is the black flasher, its slower, and does use more power, but has no ghosting issues.

I think flashing to white would be less obtrusive too. I'm guessing that since they all do the black, that there must be some reason for it rather than white. I'm hoping that the reason isn't that it just never occured to anyone to try the other way.

@yvanleterrible:
I think we've got a couple of threads along those lines, actually.
Now I know I saw them around here somewhere ....

Last edited by NatCh; 07-14-2006 at 11:40 AM.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2006, 12:01 PM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Um, didn't he say launch would be September, and then correct himself to October? Looks like August won't happen then.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:32 PM   #22
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
september earliest, i even heard december somwhere.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:15 PM   #23
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Sony got the reader to the shows as last december, seems logical that it'd come out a year later.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:08 PM   #24
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
On the flashing:

The flashing is something you will have to live with for all E-Ink screens. They have to invert the old image (which means you are going from mostly white to mostly black). This is done to ensure all of the pigment chips are properly aligned for the new image.

Otherwise "ghosting" happens, where some pixels refused to change.

E-Ink shaved a second off of this compared to previous generation displays. Its visually annoying, very slow, and one of the big complaints about their devices.
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:12 PM   #25
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

The flashing is something you will have to live with for all E-Ink screens. They have to invert the old image (which means you are going from mostly white to mostly black). This is done to ensure all of the pigment chips are properly aligned for the new image.

E-Ink shaved a second off of this compared to previous generation displays. Its visually annoying, very slow, and one of the big complaints about their devices.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:04 AM   #26
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug
Does anyone know how eInk 'paper' ages? Will there be an increasing number of 'stuck' ink cells over time? Does the carrier medium thicken or evaporate or otherwise change behaviour? Will ink cells dissolve, and the 'ink' leak over the page?

Noone bothers much about the life-time of flash memory anymore, because the number of writes is now comfortably high ... what about number of 'pages' an eInk paper can show ... ?

Last edited by ath; 07-15-2006 at 02:09 AM.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:37 PM   #27
dugbug
Addict

ath,
The pigment chips are all isolated within pixel compartments (bubbles) underneath the display glass. They won't leak out.

E-Ink keeps age info close to the vest. Someone in their tech support forum asked that very question and didn't really get an answer. But since the libres are still working great, I don't think its an issue.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:55 AM   #28
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug
ath,
The pigment chips are all isolated within pixel compartments (bubbles) underneath the display glass. They won't leak out.
I was thinking that the integrity of those 'pixel' microcapsules containing the pigment subcapsules might be lost eventually. (I think there has been a note somewhere that spacing between upper and lower surface needed to be maintained. An accidental hit might do it ...) If it happens, the subcapsules would probably slobber around on the electrode layer, and that might upset the working of the pixels in that area. But perhaps that was older technology, and the problem is gone now.

Another possibility is that the subcapsules lose their charge ...

Quote:
But since the libres are still working great, I don't think its an issue.
If it is one, it will come to light fairly soon. I don't know how keen Sony would be to adopt unproven technology, but I dare say the devices would have at least 5 years of life on general principles.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:51 AM   #29
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by ath
I was thinking that the integrity of those 'pixel' microcapsules containing the pigment subcapsules might be lost eventually. (I think there has been a note somewhere that spacing between upper and lower surface needed to be maintained. An accidental hit might do it ...) If it happens, the subcapsules would probably slobber around on the electrode layer, and that might upset the working of the pixels in that area. But perhaps that was older technology, and the problem is gone now.

Another possibility is that the subcapsules lose their charge ...

If it is one, it will come to light fairly soon. I don't know how keen Sony would be to adopt unproven technology, but I dare say the devices would have at least 5 years of life on general principles.

5 years would be more than enough. Within 5 years I will own a 32 bit color e-ink device that you can roll up.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:59 AM   #30
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Seriously cool Avatar diabloNL...you and tribble should do a contests...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote