Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 12-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #91
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
This is my main contention. Can you atleast please allow existing supporters/ users from the forum to "upgrade" to the last and latest of the pre-UNIVERSAL Marvin for iPad.
You act like you cannot update the last iPad Only version. You're mistaken, and although the former iPad only version no longer shows up when searching for Marvin in the iTunes store, if you have downloaded it before then you will still be able to update via iTunes. And if you ever delete it, then it will for certain still be available as latest version in your "Purchased" section (in iTunes the link is at the right on the store main page) listed as "Marvin (iPad-only Edition)", on your device, just select the link in top on the update tab. At any rate, it should still show up as a regular update on the iPad if you haven't already updated it..

Last edited by At_Libitum; 12-01-2013 at 10:44 PM.
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #92
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@crashnburn

- I'm sorry you missed the free period. I heavily advertised this change on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, MR, the App Store and several other blogs.
- You can definitely update the iPad-only to the latest version (2.4). If you don't see it as an update, you'll find it in "Purchased" section of the App Store app on your device.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #93
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@crashnburn

- I'm sorry you missed the free period. I heavily advertised this change on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, MR, the App Store and several other blogs.
- You can definitely update the iPad-only to the latest version (2.4). If you don't see it as an update, you'll find it in "Purchased" section of the App Store app on your device.
Trust me Kevin - I am subscribed to you and we've even exchanged PMs before. What I realized is FB is moronic when it comes "showing" & "hiding" information from feeds in its own random way.

I just had the luck and jet lag of traveling at the time.

I am going to try the "Marvin for iPad"-only update (hopefully it allows that and is not DEAD/ REMOVED from iTunes downloads). Since I am on a second hand used iPad 1 iOS 5.1.1, I hope it works.

Update:
"The ITEM you tried to buy is no longer available".
I tried this on iPad 1 iOS 5.1.1 > App Store > Purchased area. Should I try it on iTunes (which version) on the PC?

On itunes 10.6.3.25 on Windows I am not sure how I can update from this 1.8 to 2.4?

And the day I can spend for a newer iPad, your new app would be my first buy. Right now I hope the startups I am working with bring me some $$.

PS: Was the new app FREE for few days? DARN!

BTW - In some way I was expecting you to shift to Universal App given the drama of maintaining variations and related code.

I have several ideas in mind for brilliant prospects of monetization (without Asd & uglifying the product) for Marvin. Seriously! PM me if it strikes a chord.

Last edited by crashnburn; 12-03-2013 at 09:59 PM.
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:22 AM   #94
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On iTunes you'll likely have the old version so this method probably won't work. You shouldn't be getting the 'Item is not available' error. Marvin for iPad (iOS 5) is still on the App Store - just not available to *new* users (anyone who ever downloaded Marvin for iPad previously, like yourself, is an *existing* user). I've recently updated on my iOS 5 device this way, but I'll check again.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:51 AM   #95
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
On iTunes you'll likely have the old version so this method probably won't work. You shouldn't be getting the 'Item is not available' error. Marvin for iPad (iOS 5) is still on the App Store - just not available to *new* users (anyone who ever downloaded Marvin for iPad previously, like yourself, is an *existing* user). I've recently updated on my iOS 5 device this way, but I'll check again.
- I can update iTunes version - Please recommend which version.
- I did try it using my iPad 1 iOS 5.1.1b in the Purchases tab and got the App Store error outlined above.

I'll try again tomorrow but I think in some ways iTunes has gobbled it up for now.

Do let me know which way to move forward.

PS: Small bit for you on next steps for monetization: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=44
Old 12-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #96
kguil
Addict

Hi crashnburn,

I didn't mean updating iTunes itself. Sorry for the confusion. I mean that the version of Marvin "cached" in iTunes is old and probably won't be the last 2.4.

I just tried getting the latest (2.4) version of Marvin on my iPad 1st gen running iOS 5.1. I found Marvin and can download the latest version. I'm attaching a screenshot with my "setup" just in case it helps.

Thanks for the link. I'm in agreement with the vast majority of the points you make. Ads are certainly not making it into Marvin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0024-7.png
Views:	374
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	116165  
Old 12-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #97
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
Also make sure that whichever device you link to iTunes, to use the same account as you used to initially download Marvin. If you're using a different account then the error you received would be the expected message.

And I believe you don't even need to have the device physically linked to iTunes to download the update.

What I don't get is that if you run iTunes and go to your apps section, the latest update should be listed there as an update if you have downloaded Marvin before and it is still cached in your iTunes apps folder. Why isn't it for you? That would be the first thing I'd look into or else you'll likely to experience the same thing with other apps.
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #98
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
Trust me Kevin - I am subscribed to you...
FYI - kguil is Kris, not Kevin. It's in his sig but I guess you don't see that if you are on Tapatalk. :-)
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #99
crashnburn
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
FYI - kguil is Kris, not Kevin. It's in his sig but I guess you don't see that if you are on Tapatalk. :-)
Sorry Kris - Slip of tongue i.e. type. I was talking to a guy named Kevin here.

Quote:
Hi crashnburn,

I didn't mean updating iTunes itself. Sorry for the confusion. I mean that the version of Marvin "cached" in iTunes is old and probably won't be the last 2.4.

I just tried getting the latest (2.4) version of Marvin on my iPad 1st gen running iOS 5.1. I found Marvin and can download the latest version. I'm attaching a screenshot with my "setup" just in case it helps.

Thanks for the link. I'm in agreement with the vast majority of the points you make. Ads are certainly not making it into Marvin.
I tried this as well. See the screenshots I am putting up. It is weird that it works for you and not me. Maybe because you are the "developer" and have special access as part of your iTunes account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by At_Libitum View Post
Also make sure that whichever device you link to iTunes, to use the same account as you used to initially download Marvin. If you're using a different account then the error you received would be the expected message.

And I believe you don't even need to have the device physically linked to iTunes to download the update.

What I don't get is that if you run iTunes and go to your apps section, the latest update should be listed there as an update if you have downloaded Marvin before and it is still cached in your iTunes apps folder. Why isn't it for you? That would be the first thing I'd look into or else you'll likely to experience the same thing with other apps.
I am using the one and only iTunes account I have to do this. See the attached screenshots.
(I'll upload from iPad itself - Any way to upload Screenshots directly from iPad 1 5.1.1)
(I think maybe Tapatalk would work? - I cant find mobileread on Tapatalk??)

Last edited by crashnburn; 12-09-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:29 AM   #100
kguil
Addict

@crashnburn - I'm pretty sure it's not because of my dev account. I've tested this using several accounts and checked with different people. I'm not seeing screenshots attached. Could you send them again?
Old 12-25-2013, 01:54 AM   #101
crashnburn
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by At_Libitum View Post
You act like you cannot update the last iPad Only version. You're mistaken, and although the former iPad only version no longer shows up when searching for Marvin in the iTunes store, if you have downloaded it before then you will still be able to update via iTunes. And if you ever delete it, then it will for certain still be available as latest version in your "Purchased" section (in iTunes the link is at the right on the store main page) listed as "Marvin (iPad-only Edition)", on your device, just select the link in top on the update tab. At any rate, it should still show up as a regular update on the iPad if you haven't already updated it..
I did not ACT like it. It was a fact and given that the 2.5 was released multiple people on iOS5 iPads have faced the same.

I am sorry I was unable to find an easy way to upload the screenshots, but now many people are facing the same issue.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:31 AM   #102
kguil
Addict

@crashnburn - I'm sorry you're still experiencing this issue. I've written to Apple about it but didn't get a reply. I'll try again after they're back from shutdown. I'm a bit at a loss about how to proceed because I can see the last 2.5.4 update on my iOS 5 devices so I can't reproduce the problem.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #103
Kovututo Tywudaq
Kovututo Tywudaq began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I also get the “The item you tried to buy is no longer available.” error when trying to update “Marvin (iPad-only edition)” from the “Purchased” tab of the App Store. I am using an iPad 2 running iOS 6.1.3. (So the error is not exclusively an iOS 5 thing.)
Kovututo Tywudaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:09 AM   #104
adrian1944
Connoisseur
adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Imac, iPhone SE, iPad Air 2, Ipad Mini, Ipad Pro, Sony 650.
Kris

I think this is similar to the problem I have been facing over xmas.

Having taken an iPad 1 and restored to to factory settings to pass on in the family it is almost impossible to get a decent reading app to install

I had assumed the iPad only version 2.5.4 would be the answer but there is no way to it on a clean machine.

even the old ibooks app is out of reach.

Is there any way you could slightly rename 2.5.4 and have it separately on the app store in its own right for iPad 1s and anyone stuck in ios5

adrian
adrian1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #105
kguil
Addict

@adrian1944 - I want to avoid having an obsolete version hanging around and being available for download not to confuse new users (right now if you search for Marvin you'll see 2 versions paid/free - if I do this there'd be 3 versions for iPad).

Since this problem hasn't been resolved, I'll make the iPad-only/iOS 5/2.5.4 version available for around 24 hrs. This will give you some time to download it and, hopefully, make itself visible in the purchased section of the App Store again.

I'll announce in a new thread on MR.